Difference between "My Lane" & "Other Lane"

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Difference between "My Lane" & "Other Lane"

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:54 pm

FYI, this has been asked before.

EDIT, now that unwallflower has already answered...

This is supposed to work even for a split roadway. However, there are bugs with this and it doesn't always work. Waze is also working on the option for both "lanes." The buttons used to say something different, but it was confusing. It still isn't all that good. I proposed "My dir" and "Opp dir" but any shortening of words also needs to work for other languages.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:05 pm

I shall endeavor to add it to the FAQ.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Citandro » Thu May 03, 2012 10:09 pm

I feel like My Direction / Other Direction is not enough. In case there is an accident, construction or something in the middle of the road obstructing or blocking both driving directions, Both Directions option is needed. I think just because it affects both directions reporting the same thing twice would not be so good.
Last edited by Citandro on Fri May 04, 2012 3:42 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Citandro

Postby emerson42 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:38 am

I've had it do wonky things like interpret the service road for the direction I'm going in as the "other lane". The intention was for the corresponding main lane going in the other direction, not the service road.
emerson42

Postby five-driver » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:03 am

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:This is supposed to work even for a split roadway. However, there are bugs with this and it doesn't always work. Waze is also working on the option for both "lanes." The buttons used to say something different, but it was confusing. It still isn't all that good. I proposed "My dir" and "Opp dir" but any shortening of words also needs to work for other languages.

Might want to think about"
Oncoming shoulder, Oncoming lanes, Median, My Lanes, My Shoulder.

When I was driving into work on a snowing morning, there was a fair number of people in the ditches. which means tow trucks/cops on side of roads. and allowing you to report for the median (which impacts both sides) might be helpful.

If it is not a split lane, then median just becomes redundant, or it could be Median/middle of road...
five-driver

Postby lurker101 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:51 pm

Pjboi wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:FYI, this has been asked before.

I proposed "My dir" and "Opp dir" but any shortening of words also needs to work for other languages.

Really ? My bad. I actually searched everywhere for half an hour before I post this. I kinda guessed it but I just want to confirm it before I get reported for posting fake traffic reports hehe. Your idea of "My dir" and "Opp dir" is better IMHO. Anyway if this is a repeat I guess I should close this. Sorry again.

My dir & Opp dir got my vote. I was very confused about it.

The search engines are usually not so good on most forums.
lurker101

Postby Pjboi » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:48 pm

Hi everyone. This might be even an English question. I'd like to know the proper definition of "Lane". Let's take the following as an example.

I'm driving on a highway going northbound. This particular highway has 3 lanes. I am driving on the left most lane. My question is if I detect a heavy traffic on the right most lane, do I report as "My Lane" or "Other lane" ??

If the answer is "My lane" then i'd assume "Other lane" is for the southbound traffic which I can see because i'm on the opposite side.

If the answer is "Other lane" then is the GPS really THAT ACCURATE to be able to differentiate these 3 lanes which is probably just 1 or 2 meters apart?

The purpose of me asking this question is because I was driving northbound which was very smooth but I noticed a car accident on the southbound road just beside and I wanted to make a report. I'm not sure if reporting it as "Other lane" is what I want to do. So I'd ask here before I making a false report. Hope you guys can understand what I'm trying to say. Thanks!
Malaysian Wazer :)
Pjboi

Postby Pjboi » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:09 pm

unwallflower wrote:"My Lane" is for all reports on your side of the road, in the same traveling direction as you. "Other Lane" is for all reports traveling on the other side, in the opposite direction.

Thanks. Just what I thought, the GPS couldn't be that accurate to detect different "lanes"

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:FYI, this has been asked before.

EDIT, now that unwallflower has already answered...

This is supposed to work even for a split roadway. However, there are bugs with this and it doesn't always work. Waze is also working on the option for both "lanes." The buttons used to say something different, but it was confusing. It still isn't all that good. I proposed "My dir" and "Opp dir" but any shortening of words also needs to work for other languages.

Really ? My bad. I actually searched everywhere for half an hour before I post this. I kinda guessed it but I just want to confirm it before I get reported for posting fake traffic reports hehe. Your idea of "My dir" and "Opp dir" is better IMHO. Anyway if this is a repeat I guess I should close this. Sorry again.
Malaysian Wazer :)
Pjboi

Postby reflon » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:23 pm

I agree that both lanes are needed for an option but when I see my lane or other lane there are arrows showing which direction. So my lane has an arrow pointing straight ahead and other lane has an arrow pointing behind me. Not sure if you guys saw that or not.
reflon

Postby Timbones » Tue Jul 10, 2012 7:35 pm

The graphics need updating for left- drive countries too...

via Tapatalk
Timbones(6) • UK Country Admin & Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Beta Editor and Routing Expert
Scripts: WME Colour Highlights v1.8 (Feb 2014)WME Route Tester
Timbones
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Next

Return to Waze App