police car tracking

These forums are specific to the Waze mobile app. Post here if you experienced a problem while using the app, have a question about the app functionality or a feature such as navigation or search.

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Re: police car tracking

Postby dknight212 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:39 pm

jasonh300 wrote:It would be much simpler to not break the law. What exactly is it you're doing that you're this concerned about the cops?

+1

David using Tapatalk
David (not Dave!) Knight • Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (CM10.1.3) • Ubuntu (latest)
UK Country AdminArea Manager for London
UK links: UK WikiUK ForumWaze UK on FacebookBecome a UK Area Manager
dknight212
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Re: police car tracking

Postby gordonski » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:53 am

Why should it be a crime to drive behind a police car??? If their position was secret, they shouldn't paint them in fancy silver and blue with flashlights on top.
Maybe we could get the police to use Waze, then we could also see moving police cars. I don't see any other chance to track police cars on the move. Unless someone volunteers to tape a magent to his smartphone and secretly tuck it to the rear bumber of a police car...
Over here policecars don't do any harm, they just drive around like other cars. German cops usually don't stop you without any reason. If they do, and you didn't do anything wrong (e.g. speeding, holding a phone, no seatbelt, ...), they check your papers, wish you a nice day, and off you go.
If you go by a police car, driving well above speed limit, well, take it like a man and deal with the consequences of your actions... :roll:
ImageNo stop signs, speed limitImageNobody's gonna slow me down!Image
Country Manager for Germany, Area Manager in DN/BM/AC (NRW)
Wiki | Liste aller Gemeinden/Städte
gordonski
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby gordonski » Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:23 pm

xteejx wrote:How do old threads keep being pulled up? :-S

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

That happens when people keep posting replies... :? ... D'oh! :x
ImageNo stop signs, speed limitImageNobody's gonna slow me down!Image
Country Manager for Germany, Area Manager in DN/BM/AC (NRW)
Wiki | Liste aller Gemeinden/Städte
gordonski
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby harling » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:34 pm

xteejx wrote:Maybe a third option for "I've been pulled over for tailing a police car"?

Excellent.

I can understand the desire to report a "speed trap"; in some cases the underlying goal may be the generation of revenue rather than safety. But tracking a police vehicle that is doing who-knows-what could easily be construed as interfering with law enforcement, at the very least. You may become a distraction to the police, tip off criminals, find yourself in the middle of gunfire...

Bottom line: leave moving police vehicles alone. They are keeping you safe, and you need to get out of their way and let them do their job--unencumbered by live GPS tracking on a public system that anyone can use!
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.
Help wanted. Drop me a line!
Wiki Resources: Area Manager Wiki | Map Editing | Best Practices | Known Issues List
harling
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby harling » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:21 pm

The objection against tracking police cars is the potential to use such a tool for evasion, of scrutiny and/or pursuit.
Area Manager, Eastern MA & Southern NH. Country Manager, USA.
Help wanted. Drop me a line!
Wiki Resources: Area Manager Wiki | Map Editing | Best Practices | Known Issues List
harling
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby heckmandm » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:07 am

This has already been discussed in a lot of other forums. While I agree it would be cool to tag a moving target like this, there is a privacy issue with doing that. Plus I'm pretty sure that harling has a point, following around police vehicles (or tracking them by GPS) is interfering with law enforcement.

Just drive safely and the police shouldn't be an issue for ya. ;)
GregtheDude
Area Manager: Lincoln | Omaha | Seward Co. - Nebraska
heckmandm

Postby jasonh300 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:34 pm

It would be much simpler to not break the law. What exactly is it you're doing that you're this concerned about the cops?
New Orleans, Louisiana
Regional Coordinator, South-Central Region
Waze FAQ ... Best Map Editing Practice ... Waze chat on IRC.
jasonh300
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

police car tracking

Postby kriimsilm » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:28 am

Hi all! One idea for discussion and maybe for implementation too. If waser meets police car it is not lucky day always. So my idea is to give more information for all wasers in situation were user meets police car. I´ll describe 2 conditions.
1. Meet police car ahead of wasers car. Option to report "I´m fallowing police car"! This is huge impact to other wasers behind reporter (DO NOT TRY BYPASS POLICE!) and wasers who will be on front of police car (YOU WILL MEET POLICE CAR SOON!)
2. Meet police car on front of waser. In this case we need to report - police car driving on opposite way and I think it is useful to remind wasers between reporting point to next intersection that very angry police car is comeing. :)
kriimsilm

Postby kriimsilm » Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:51 am

heckmandm wrote:This has already been discussed in a lot of other forums. While I agree it would be cool to tag a moving target like this, there is a privacy issue with doing that. Plus I'm pretty sure that harling has a point, following around police vehicles (or tracking them by GPS) is interfering with law enforcement.

Just drive safely and the police shouldn't be an issue for ya. ;)

This is not just question of driving safe. :roll: Maybe it depends on country - is police car location secret information or not. In European countries I think it is not crime to fallow/meet police car. Maybe it is good idea to give themselves possibility to "mark yourself on map" by using Waze with special police car mode? 112 mode? At least ambulance car may use Waze quite well...!?
kriimsilm

Postby xteejx » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:47 pm

Maybe a third option for "I've been pulled over for tailing a police car"?

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
xteejx

Next

Return to Waze App