Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Level 3 edit. Southport, Gold Coast

Post by AurangeAUS
https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=row&lo ... st=4975224

Can I please get a Level 3 unlock for SR3 High St, northbound and southbound lanes (why are they divided?) in order to fix turning nodes for the two segments of Nerang St between them. They were set as one-way; each leading towards the other and degrading routing solutions from Nerang St onto SR3 High St.

cheers!

Aurange
AurangeAUS

POSTER_ID:17097356

Send a message

Post by AurangeAUS
ispyisail wrote:how far do you want to go with this fix?
If it's up to me, I'd get rid of all occurrences, one suburb at a time or some other structured approach. The above-reported problem is at a junction with street segments that are far more complex than necessary, in my opinion.

IAW Dividing and un-dividing divided highways on Best Map Editing Practice, para 4 on When to Divide a Two-way Road states "try to avoid switching roads back and forth between being divided and 2-way."

I interpret that to mean that over the entire length of a road, keep all the segments either divided or undivided, rather than a possible interpretation of refraining from editing back and forth. That said, the problem is very extensive in this region and I realise that it would not only take a lot of effort (which I am prepared to do, albeit at a junior editing level), but it will also upset existing speed data.

I initially thought the western portion of Queen St - nearby - would warrant dividing due to the light rail present in the median (approx. 8 metres wide), however after some advice adjusting the turn options at nodes was a sufficient option. If it's meant to allow for calculation of accurate routing solutions and navigation; it does. If it's meant to be a true representation of actual road appearance; that's what satellite imagery or UBD maps are for.

Personally, I would like to fix an issue like this - regardless of scale - and leave divided roads for features such as the M1, etc.; where the separated lanes have mutually exclusive access, and as per best practise.

I'm open to guidance from Area Managers and seasoned Waze editors on this, but if that's an option that is decided upon, I'm happy to invest my time with it. For now, I'll only want to fix the reported problem.

PS. Reported problem fixed, thanks for the unlock.
AurangeAUS
Send a message

Post by ispyisail
why are they divided?
good question?

how far do you want to go with this fix?

ispyisail
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by ispyisail
If it was me I would have a simple cross

ispyisail
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by ispyisail
+1

one segment at a time
ispyisail
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by ispyisail
My previous un-splits have been on roads that I know I'll personally be helping to re-build the data for.
agree, that's why I don't jump in head long

Try to encourage local editors to un-split and remove slip lanes
ispyisail
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message

Post by theclem54
I support undividing roads. Inexperienced editors are welcome to do so, as long as there is an Area Manager with the time to thoroughly check the work. I've undivided some roads last year and they took many many hours as you need to do a section at a time, double and triple checking every turn restriction as you go.

Probably best do a road at a time and not rush into it so as not to upset all the traffic data at the same time. The thing about un-dividing roads is that you guarantee an upset of traffic data and it's on long segments with lots of traffic light data that contribute significantly to the determination of a lot of trips. My previous un-splits have been on roads that I know I'll personally be helping to re-build the data for. I then got too busy with work and games to continue elsewhere.

I don't know what the country managers opinion is though.
theclem54
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message