Sugarwood Drive and Cordyline Drive, Tweed Heads West??

Post by GarvinGray
I have been attempting to sort out a report at this two section roundabout as I have a couple of concerns about this 'roundabout'.

First is to deal with what are currently called Sugarwood Drive and Cordyline Drive, Tweed Heads West?? I can find no reference to either in Google maps, in the street view of waze, google earth. They seem to be ramps on and off the highways or similar and should be marked and named as such.

Secondly, dealing with the report itself and this two stage roundabout. The person is reporting they were led passed Kennedy Drive and were directed by waze to go onto the ramp. I have not yet gotten as far as to ask if they turned off at Kennedy Drive, as the person was actually going to Barrett Street. I assume they ignored waze and turned off.

But I have a couple of questions for everyone for this odd set of roundabouts- normally when roundabouts are correctly drawn in their circle, we name them 'No Street' 'City', but I am thinking here after coming down Cordyline Drive, missing the first exit (Eastern Kennedy Drive), then the second Exit (M1- Pacific Mwy), we could then delete a couple of nodes and rename the streets to Kennedy Drive.

Or perhaps the two small roundabouts could be returned to their normal circle shape, with the connector in the middle.
GarvinGray
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3

POSTER_ID:16961375

Send a message
As waze editors, our role is to map based on what is legal. It is the job of councils and governments to determine whether or not a turn or other similar 'risky' situations should be permitted based on risk assessments performed by people much more qualified than us to do so.

This point is not up for discussion, never has been and never will be.

Post by GarvinGray
I am going have to admit that I am out of my depth in trying to work how to get the correct shape for 'one roundabout'. I just could not work it out, but had already deleted the segments thinking I had the solution worked out. So I have had to create two roundabouts and join them up. The solution I have done I think is satisfactory, but I am sure a higher level editor will be able to get the one roundabout shape that is what is completely required and then teach me what should be done.

theclem, I could not work out from the link what you actually did to change the roundabout.
GarvinGray
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message
As waze editors, our role is to map based on what is legal. It is the job of councils and governments to determine whether or not a turn or other similar 'risky' situations should be permitted based on risk assessments performed by people much more qualified than us to do so.

Post by GarvinGray
theclem54 wrote:Hey, Garvin, I fixed up the roundabout. The video capture stuffed up, I think the file ended up too big (4 GB) and it's corrupted to buggery. Will have to tweak the settings next time I think.
It's ok, I have commented in the report to the original reporter telling me that a permanent fix has now been applied etc etc.

I think if we can just find a meaningless odd shaped roundabout, then I can have a play around there. This is unfortunately one of the situations where using practice mode will not help, because I need to save one piece of work and then move on to the next, which can not be done in practice mode.
GarvinGray
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message

Post by theclem54
One could argue that you're on the wrong side of the state border for this sub-forum, but we won't worry about that.

First issue: https://maps.six.nsw.gov.au/ Change Basemap to NSW Map in the upper right. The site is a bit of a bitch, but you'll work it out. Street names will stay.

The 2 roundabouts should be 1 as it is just one big ugly shaped roundabout. Obviously, this gets tricky to produce as there's a Level 5 highway through the middle of it and a lot of geometry to sort out. This can be done without unlocks and highway shifts; It just gets a little messier with geometry as the segments coming into the roundabout need to be pulled to one side of the highway, then shifted back.

I cannot reproduce the reported route, but the roundabouts should become one regardless. It should also be in the hourglass shape so as to avoid confusion to motorists marrying up what's in front of them with what's on the map.

Performed carefully, with all junctions existing upon roundabout creation, a roundabout can take almost any shape, just look at this fella I did not far north of your issue: https://www.waze.com/en-GB/editor/?env= ... lter=false
theclem54
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by theclem54
Once you've created the single roundabout, move the geometry segments. I'll do it later this evening after I install a screen capture program to show you what I do with these, then I'll post a download link for you.
theclem54
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by theclem54
Hey, Garvin, I fixed up the roundabout. The video capture stuffed up, I think the file ended up too big (4 GB) and it's corrupted to buggery. Will have to tweak the settings next time I think.
theclem54
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by theclem54
Don't wait for one to come along, find an odd shaped roughly circular landmark away from roads, put some roads in, make a roundabout, then try to shape the roundabout.

Move geometry nodes, create new ones if necessary by dragging the little circle between two of them and delete superfluous ones by hovering over them and press d, that's all it is.

Ask us to check if you want certainty that all is good then you simply delete it. I've no issue with temporary crap in the map if it aids in editor development and doesn't affect actual routing (and you remember to remove it in a timely fashion).
theclem54
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message