Improving North Quay / Ramp — Road geometries

Post by thepeterhsieh
Problem:
A Wazer was given incorrect driving direction due to apparent location of the Wazer and the Waze map geometries of North Quay (L1) and the Ramp (L3) onto the expressway.
  1. Issue possibly caused by:
  2. Incorrect Waze map road geometries (GPS and Aerial imaging does not align)
  3. Accuracy of the GPS device running Waze
The report:
I am the driver who reported the issue. At this juncture I was in the left lane of two that feeds into the expressway. I was in the correct lane to get into the expressway and head south (as I do every single weekday) yet Waze was trying to direct me straight ahead, around the block and back through the same set of lights (from the city side) into the expressway. It was as if it didn't realise it was possible to merge straight into the expressway from those lights. Perhaps Waze thought I was in the next lane, closer to the Mecure, in which case I would have been in the wrong lane to merge straight into freeway and would have had to go around the block.
Link: Permalink

Proposed Solution:
To adjust the road geometries of North Quay and the Ramp onto the Expressway.

Would like to hear your thoughts on how to improve this.
thepeterhsieh

POSTER_ID:17047387

Send a message

Post by theclem54
We can simplify the intersection by making the expressway route a 'right turn' at the intersection, this will give the user better instructions (match lane markings) and proper guidance on how far ahead the actual turn is whilst also avoiding GPS lock issues.

It looks like there's an attempt at lane control that has been put in place, showing us the unintended issues that these attempts can create.

I can't do anything with the closures in place and I can't re-create the closures between segment modification and tile update, so I will update later this afternoon.
theclem54
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by theclem54
Hi Apple,

The report is all yours to update reporter and close out.

I've made the changes that should fix things up here.
theclem54
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by thepeterhsieh
Thanks theclem54! The suggestion sounds good! I'll leave it to you to fix.
thepeterhsieh
Send a message

Post by thepeterhsieh
Cheers! I'll inform the reporter and have the report closed.
thepeterhsieh
Send a message