When should waze give a 'keep' instruction?

Post by GarvinGray
When should waze give a 'keep' instruction?

I have been answering a report at the entry to ICB/Clem Jones Tunnel at Bowen Bridge Road and staying, in short, that as the driver was leaving Bowen Bridge Road and entering the ramp, the turn left instruction is appropriate.

My thoughts had been that if the driver was further up the ramp and was in the ICB left ramp and continuing on to the ICB, rather than the Clem 7 ramp, then tunnel, then a keep left instruction would be appropriate. But I have starting thinking, if you are already in that 'lane' wouldn't it be, no instruction, just like normal traffic?

So how, or when, does 'keep' work?
GarvinGray
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3

POSTER_ID:16961375

Send a message
As waze editors, our role is to map based on what is legal. It is the job of councils and governments to determine whether or not a turn or other similar 'risky' situations should be permitted based on risk assessments performed by people much more qualified than us to do so.

This point is not up for discussion, never has been and never will be.

Post by GarvinGray
Whilst still waiting for others thoughts.

There is a flowchart in those wiki links that does show if the angle is more than 45 degrees, it should be a turn instruction. And less than 45 degrees, then keep instruction. Of course this means we/I could just change the angle to less than 45 degrees. Currently it is 51 degrees.

In regards to the markings on the road. The markings are that the driver is on Bowen Bridge Road and has to cross a single broken line to enter the ramp. This means the driver has to leave their lane and enter the ramp. Also means they are expected to indicate (hence turn).
GarvinGray
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message
As waze editors, our role is to map based on what is legal. It is the job of councils and governments to determine whether or not a turn or other similar 'risky' situations should be permitted based on risk assessments performed by people much more qualified than us to do so.

Post by GarvinGray
theclem54 wrote:Hi team, Garvin I saw the UR you are talking about, I would go with a 'Keep Left' instruction as it is a ramp that needs no slowing down, as opposed to an actual turn. The 45 degree angle that Gav mentions isn't necessarily a strict pass/fail number, but more guidance.

Gav, I tend to agree with your assessment.
So I now need access to that ramp to change the angle to less than 45 degrees to produce the keep left instruction. In fact, I would like access to all three relevant segments so I can move the node as looking at the aerial image, the node should be slightly further South. This should also produce the keep left instruction, I think.
GarvinGray
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message

Post by GarvinGray
GarvinGray wrote:So I now need access to that ramp to change the angle to less than 45 degrees to produce the keep left instruction. In fact, I would like access to all three relevant segments so I can move the node as looking at the aerial image, the node should be slightly further South. This should also produce the keep left instruction, I think.
Can someone please unlock the three segments I require so I can fix up this user report?
GarvinGray
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message

GarvinGray
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message

Post by GarvinGray
theclem54 wrote:Dropped
<42 degrees.
GarvinGray
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message

Post by GarvinGray
theclem54 wrote:Junction Angle add-in says it will be an exit prompt, but that's due to road types, it'll do.
That is something I think we all probably missed in the discussion and I can report back to the initial reporter. Being that leaving Bowen Bridge Road is going to a ramp, it should be Exit to etc etc, rather than keep or turn.

Does that sound correct?
GarvinGray
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message

Post by GarvinGray
GarvinGray wrote:That is something I think we all probably missed in the discussion and I can report back to the initial reporter. Being that leaving Bowen Bridge Road is going to a ramp, it should be Exit to etc etc, rather than keep or turn.

Does that sound correct?
Can I get an affirmative or agreement so I can reply back to the reporter and close out the reporter?
GarvinGray
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message

Post by GarvinGray
theclem54 wrote:Yes, exit is fine, we can close this one out.
Thank you.
Edit: As a small point. The information on the left is actually showing:
Entry to M7 - Clem Jones Tunnel / Gold Coast / M3 - ICB / Ipswich, Windsor, Qld, Australia

Does this matter? Should it be exit, or entry?
GarvinGray
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message

Post by GarvinGray
Traveling_Gav wrote:Entry.
Entry is it. Report has now been marked as solved and closed.
GarvinGray
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message