Should this segment, and similar ones, be a major highway?

Post by GarvinGray
After receiving a user report, I noticed that a lot of significant roads/streets in, what I will call Greater Ipswich, seem to be over classified.

For instance, the segment that I have permalinked, is a Major Highway, when I think it possibly should be a Primary Street, or maybe Minor Highway. And this would then mean many others need to be downgraded as well.

What do others think looking at quite a few of the roads and streets? Yes, this could mean quite a bit of unlocking and work if we agree that these are over classified.
GarvinGray
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3

POSTER_ID:16961375

Send a message
As waze editors, our role is to map based on what is legal. It is the job of councils and governments to determine whether or not a turn or other similar 'risky' situations should be permitted based on risk assessments performed by people much more qualified than us to do so.

This point is not up for discussion, never has been and never will be.

Post by GarvinGray
Traveling_Gav wrote:theclem54 is way more knowledgable about this stuff. However I do note that that road is listed as being part of the "regional road network" and appears to be looked after by the state: http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/-/media/Trave ... .pdf?la=en

I would agree though that major highway doesn't seem right. Minor highway maybe...?
I had a look at the BGS on the Ipswich Motorway where Brisbane Road exits Ipswich Motorway and there is no State Route or Tourist Route badge for it.

Also from your link, it is listed as a regional controlled road. I also have a list of roads from previous discussions about Old Northern Road about what are State Roads, State Controlled Roads etc and Brisbane Road was not on it.

Even if Brisbane Road should be lets say 'Minor Highway', that means streets like East Street etc need to go down to Primary street based on your pdf.
GarvinGray
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message
As waze editors, our role is to map based on what is legal. It is the job of councils and governments to determine whether or not a turn or other similar 'risky' situations should be permitted based on risk assessments performed by people much more qualified than us to do so.

Post by GarvinGray
Permalink Southern side of Brisbane and Limestone Road.

Permalink Northern side

Changing down to Minor Highway. I think I might have missed one or two small segments along the way.

This will have a 'cascade' effect in Ipswich, with Brisbane and Limestone becoming Primary Streets. Those will also need to be unlocked.
GarvinGray
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message

Post by GarvinGray
theclem54 wrote:I've done a few drops for you.
I have changed Brisbane Road, Limestone etc down to Minor Highway. Gordon St Ipswich , which is just three segments long, was Major Highway, I could not see any reason why it was anything more than primary street. 50 kph, no bgs's on it and East St running parallel.

East St is now Minor Highway. It is State Route North of Brisbane St Ipswich, but is not SR South, but in the wiki, it also says Metro Routes, so Minor Highway it is for me.

Churchill and Warwick also Minor Highway. I could not adjust the roundabout on Warwick St as it is locked. Warwick St further south out of Ipswich I will still need access to as that is still Major Highway.

In regards to Brisbane and Limestone, West of East St Ipswich, I think they should be Primary St. They are a downgrade from the others and so that means Primary Street. What are your thoughts theclem? You can see where I have stopped on Brisbane and Limestone as your editing name starts and mine stops going East/West.
GarvinGray
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message

Post by theclem54
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Road_types/A ... Queensland

Follow the wiki.

I remember reading somewhere that downgrading of roads is discouraged, but this was a long time ago before our road classifications were as well documented in the wiki. As such, I'm happy for you to downgrade to match the current state of affairs as far as state routes, highways etc. are concerned.

A lot of Ipswich was setup per the old wiki guidelines before the government modified QLDGlobe.

Keep in mind that the 'any other significant road' definition for Primary Street is very subjective, as such, don't downgrade any of the current roads to 'Street'.

You'll need to provide a list of roads to be unlocked. Please provide multiple segments in each Permalink but one Permalink per road.
theclem54
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by theclem54
I've done a few drops for you.
theclem54
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by Traveling_Gav
theclem54 is way more knowledgable about this stuff. However I do note that that road is listed as being part of the "regional road network" and appears to be looked after by the state: http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/-/media/Trave ... .pdf?la=en

I would agree though that major highway doesn't seem right. Minor highway maybe...?
Traveling_Gav
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message