NR13 - Mount Lindesay Hwy, Boronia Heights report

Post by GarvinGray
https://www.waze.com/en-GB/editor/?env= ... =150059201

Peter was first responder to this report, but has not followed up on it. I sent him a pm about this report after a couple of days about it to see if he was following up on it, for no reply.

I struggled to understand how to fix this double u turn parallelism issue at Mains Road Sunnybank, so this is now the reverse of it.

On that issue, it was attempting allow a u turn in one direction of the double H pattern.

In this report, waze has directed a u turn Northbound when there is no sign to do so. U turns are not permitted both North and Southbound.

The distance across in the middle segment (segment B) is 13 metres.

I have clicked on the middle segment, which is the url and it comes up with the four angles and shows the yellow box as well. What do I need to change to prevent u turns in both directions?
GarvinGray
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3

POSTER_ID:16961375

Send a message
As waze editors, our role is to map based on what is legal. It is the job of councils and governments to determine whether or not a turn or other similar 'risky' situations should be permitted based on risk assessments performed by people much more qualified than us to do so.

This point is not up for discussion, never has been and never will be.

Post by GarvinGray
Toolbox has been updated and the shortcuts have re-appeared to be able to copy and paste multiple segments to unlock etc.

As for what you say about micro doglegs and condition 3, this is where I struggle to understand how to change it to make it work as I stated earlier. I already have that link bookmarked for reference.

Yes, I already understand that there are three conditions, as I already stated, but it is trying to figure how to get condition 3 for both Northbound and Southbound to stop the u turn that I do not understand from the basics.
GarvinGray
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message
As waze editors, our role is to map based on what is legal. It is the job of councils and governments to determine whether or not a turn or other similar 'risky' situations should be permitted based on risk assessments performed by people much more qualified than us to do so.

Post by GarvinGray
[quote="GarvinGray"]Permalink
Toolbox has been updated and the shortcuts have re-appeared to be able to copy and paste multiple segments to unlock etc.
Can you please unlock the segments so I have access?
GarvinGray
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message

Post by GarvinGray
GarvinGray wrote:
GarvinGray wrote:Permalink
Can you please unlock the segments so I have access?
GarvinGray
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message

Post by GarvinGray
ituajr wrote:Unlocked. (I hope -done while mobile, not confident it's right).
Yes, the segments have been unlocked. I deleted your micro dogleg and if I have this now correct (double check my work), it is a matter of getting both yellow boxes as close to 180 degrees as possible (it does say 5 degrees of parallel, but geez my way sounds much easier to remember, doesn't it?)

If I have done this correctly, fingers crossed, both directions should now have u turns prevented.
GarvinGray
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message

Post by GarvinGray
ituajr wrote:The south side looks perfect. On the north side, JAI still says "?175" indicating that it's debatable whether it falls within 5 degrees of parallel. You indicated you had got them just right; did you remember to save your last edit? Or is some caching inconsistency fooling me?
I have now changed the North West Quadrant so that the North side is now also showing 180 degrees.
GarvinGray
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message

Post by GarvinGray
ituajr wrote:Looks good to me, but that process is tedious and fiddly, and runs the risk of some subsequent editor re-aligning the roads with the aerial imagery and breaking it all again. I wonder if we should have tried out the new "junction box" facility? (I haven't seen any statement that routing takes account of junction boxes, though.)

Anyway, ready to re-lock?
That process will get faster as it becomes more familiar. And there is always the risk that another editor could come over the top and change any editing on any map anywhere. But this is locked to level 3 and is in a rather out of the way place.

In regards to junction box- only available to level 5's apparently: https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/User:CBenson/Junction_Box

This has been a very good teaching exercise, and there will probably be another when the next one comes up when it is only one direction that requires the u turn to be allowed.
GarvinGray
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message

Post by GarvinGray
ituajr wrote:
GarvinGray wrote:In regards to junction box- only available to level 5's apparently: https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/User:CBenson/Junction_Box
Ah, thank you. I hadn't found that. It may not be completely up to date: "Junctions boxes are currently only able to be created and edited in the beta editor [...]". It's apparently available to me in the standard editor - the drop-down menu that lets you create Road, Roundabout, Camera now also has Junction box. Can level 4 editors see that?
I can see those four options in the drop down menu and I am a level 2 editor. But that does not mean I can do anything with it.
GarvinGray
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message