Reports from Sylvan Road Toowong onto Coronation Drive

Post by GarvinGray
Waze gives the recommended route travelling East along Sylvan Road, that turning right onto Landsborough Tce and then left onto Coronation Drive is faster than staying on Sylvan Road and waiting at the lights.

I know this section of road well and personally I think taking the left turn and going up Land St and entering Coronation Drive is faster to go towards the city.

But we get regular reports about the right turn onto Landsborough Tce.

Can this waze recommended route be further investigated?
GarvinGray
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3

POSTER_ID:16961375

Send a message
As waze editors, our role is to map based on what is legal. It is the job of councils and governments to determine whether or not a turn or other similar 'risky' situations should be permitted based on risk assessments performed by people much more qualified than us to do so.

This point is not up for discussion, never has been and never will be.

Post by GarvinGray
Speaking of odd routes, just like the discussion at Aspley. I had the opportunity a few days ago to test this route. Right turn from Sylvan Road onto Landsborough Tce, make your way along Landsborough and then left turn onto Coro Drive and then head city direction.

Landsborough Tce is a narrow Tce, so there is no opportunity to 'floor' it. I was lucky to even get up to 40kph, never mind the speed limit of 50kph.

Taking all that into account, and about a 30 second wait to enter Coro Drive, I easily beat a black SUV that was parked at the lights waiting to turn left from when I made my right hand turn on Landsborough Tce. Time was middle of the day.

So, exceptional circumstances aside, I do believe this is a route I can confirm is faster going via Landsborough Tce than waiting at the lights at Sylvan Rd.

Whether it is faster in real world conditions than Land St is another question that would be much harder to test.
GarvinGray
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message
As waze editors, our role is to map based on what is legal. It is the job of councils and governments to determine whether or not a turn or other similar 'risky' situations should be permitted based on risk assessments performed by people much more qualified than us to do so.

Post by GarvinGray
RuaTheSidhe wrote:I know this is an old thread, but turning onto Landsborough Tce is crazy. Land St is far quicker.
As theclem has answered, it is all based on previous speed data collated. Keep driving Land St and prove that it is faster and eventually waze will learn from new recent data.
GarvinGray
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3
Send a message

Post by RuaTheSidhe
I know this is an old thread, but turning onto Landsborough Tce is crazy. Land St is far quicker.
RuaTheSidhe
Send a message

Post by theclem54
It's purely speed data. Route speeds plugin shows that to get to the end of Land St takes well over 2 minutes, but if I move the destination marker through the intersection onto Corro Drive, it takes less than 2 minutes to go via Landsborough Terrace.

Landsborough Terrace has no traffic light and is a simple turn left lane, I don't know the distribution of traffic on the lanes through there too well, but anyone willing to plant it will get through there faster than the lights most of the time.

There appears to be valid speed data for all 3 roads heading onto Corro Drive, so I don't see anything we can do here.

Some would say the system is working.
theclem54
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by theclem54
I've also taken this route a couple of times recently (pretty sure one of them was following a red car also running Waze) and yes, it did appear to be faster.
theclem54
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message