The mysterious city of "mu" - need help deleting it

Moderators: delilush, Australia Managers

The mysterious city of "mu" - need help deleting it

Postby numbermaniac » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:13 am

Around 3 or 4 years ago I came across an in-app report where the city was reported as "mu". This city was created, most likely, when someone was trying to assign a segment to the suburb of Mulgrave, typed "mu", and expected the auto-completion to do its job, but it didn't.

I believe I or someone else located the segment, fixed the city name, and assumed that was the end of that.

Turns out, the suburb didn't go anywhere!

[ img ]

I took this screenshot in the Waze app just today. Based on the route I was taking, which only included a short section of Springvale Road between the Monash Freeway and Ferntree Gully Road, this is approximately where the city of "mu" is located.

What can we do about this? Is there a way to delete the city from the Waze map completely?
numbermaniac
Area Manager
Area Manager

Re: The mysterious city of "mu" - need help deleting it

Postby ituajr » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:03 am

numbermaniac wrote:What can we do about this? Is there a way to delete the city from the Waze map completely?

Thank you for the detailed problem description and analysis. There is a way of deleting a hidden city, by means of A CM request to Waze. However, I'm not convinced the old city is actually there. My usual test is to try to use the hidden city name in a segment update - if it works, the hidden city already existed. This time I tried renaming this bit of Springvale Road to have the city "mu", and I got "This city "mu" doesn't exist yet. Are you sure you want to create it?" That suggests that there isn't a hidden city with that name.

I tried searching for "Mu" in case there was a nearby place or similar, but the only result was the "Mu Cha Cha" cafe in North Curl Curl - too far away to be relevant. I'm open to suggestions about where the name came from. (I'm not familiar with the "Heavy traffic" warning. Would you expect to see a City name in the message, or is it sometimes a street name or place name?)
[ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
Country Coordinator for Australia.
77777 km driven with Waze, 2034 km paved,
8586 Update Requests resolved, 14100 map problems closed.
ituajr
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby numbermaniac » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:06 am

I assumed it always shows a city name there. As a test, I looked for two nearby reports, one of which was on a road with a city name assigned, and one which was not. Here's what appeared in the screenshot:

[ img ]

The first report was approximately here, just before the intersection with the Private Road. As a Major Highway, it doesn't have a city name on the segment. The nearest suburb is Lyndhurst, slightly to the east. (By the way, where did "Victoria" come from? Does it automatically expand "Vic" in the suburb name to "Victoria" now?)

The second was about here. This is a Primary Street, so it has a city name on the segment.

The question that comes up here is that the wording is slightly different. In the initial screenshot, it said "in the neighbourhood of", yet in this screenshot it simply says "Near". What's the difference between these two? Is it supposed to be based on the distance between the report location and the nearest segment with a suburb name? If that's the case, is it detecting "mu" is somehow near, but it can't figure out exactly where, so it comes up with "in the neighbourhood of"? I don't know what's happening here.
numbermaniac
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby ituajr » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:47 am

numbermaniac wrote:(By the way, where did "Victoria" come from? Does it automatically expand "Vic" in the suburb name to "Victoria" now?)

That's the first I've heard of it doing that. I did wonder whether it's picking that up from Google Maps, but Google calls it Lyndhurst VIC 3975. Besides, the road name (M780 - Western Ports Hwy) is in exactly our format, whereas Google calls it Dandenong-Hastings Rd. So it appears Waze is deducing the full state name for itself. I wonder what it does for "NSW"?

The second was about here. This is a Primary Street, so it has a city name on the segment.

The question that comes up here is that the wording is slightly different. In the initial screenshot, it said "in the neighbourhood of", yet in this screenshot it simply says "Near". What's the difference between these two? [...] I don't know what's happening here.

Well, that's two of us that are mystified. If no other bright ideas turn up, I might submit the "remove this city" request, explaining that we're not sure it exists, and see what Waze HQ says.

PS: Maybe the report details are coming from a different external source? What was that site that people were using to keep track of the recent bushfires?
[ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
ituajr
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby GBSpeedy1305 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:55 am

https://traffic.vicroads.vic.gov.au/ is the main site. You can search by suburb and see every closure / road work by street for the suburb (or displayed area)

There was another more emergancy based site http://emergency.vic.gov.au/respond/

PS I used WME Color Highlights to - with search for city and had no luck. It will list cities that are on screen allowing you to select a city and then it highlights segments and places with that city set.
[ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
Area Manager for Brisbane; Sydney and Southern NSW
State Manager for Victoria and Australian Capital Territory
57,199 Edits, 1080 Place Edits, 1733 Update Requests resolved, 331 map problems closed.
Join us on the Waze Australia Discord Server.
GBSpeedy1305
State Manager
State Manager

Postby iainhouse » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:13 pm

"Near" is Waze getting the city name from nearby segments, if the segment with the traffic on doesn't have a city name.

Incidentally, that's why we tend to put city names on major roads that are within urban areas in the UK: because then the reports will more helpfully say "traffic on A1 in Islington", then "traffic on A1 near Islington".
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
UK AdminsUK WikiWaze FAQWMEFU Script :ugeek:
I want to go to a commune in Vermont and deal with no unit of time shorter than a season
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Location: on the road from London to insanity, with Waze HQ in the driving seat

Postby numbermaniac » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:13 pm

ituajr wrote:So it appears Waze is deducing the full state name for itself. I wonder what it does for "NSW"?

Apparently, it does nothing at all.

[ img ]

Editor permalink to "Waterloo, NSW" segment
numbermaniac
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby GBSpeedy1305 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:07 pm

Interesting that Yass and Sydney Airport have NSW added.
[ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
Area Manager for Brisbane; Sydney and Southern NSW
State Manager for Victoria and Australian Capital Territory
57,199 Edits, 1080 Place Edits, 1733 Update Requests resolved, 331 map problems closed.
Join us on the Waze Australia Discord Server.
GBSpeedy1305
State Manager
State Manager

Postby numbermaniac » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:51 am

iainhouse wrote:"Near" is Waze getting the city name from nearby segments, if the segment with the traffic on doesn't have a city name.

Incidentally, that's why we tend to put city names on major roads that are within urban areas in the UK: because then the reports will more helpfully say "traffic on A1 in Islington", then "traffic on A1 near Islington".

Thanks! By any chance, would you know what the difference is between "Near" and "in the neighbourhood of", as seen in my first screenshot?
numbermaniac
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby ituajr » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:06 am

Using RSEL and Toolbox, I have checked every segment and place in that general area for a street name, alt name, city name, or place name of "mu", and I can't find one. I also checked the City record for Mulgrave and the surrounding suburbs (Wheelers Hill, Clayton, Clayton South, Springvale, Noble Park, Noble Park North, Notting Hill, Oakleigh, and Springvale South) to see if any of them have a hidden secondary name of "mu". Nothing. I have submitted a "please delete this city" request with an explanation of why we think it's there somewhere.
[ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
ituajr
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Next

Return to Victoria