Using Waze abroad

Post by RogerEden
I live in UK, will I be able to use Waze in the U.S. Will I need local SIM? Will I earn points? As Internet required for routing, what is the best way to that. Internet roaming costs very expensive not an option Thanks
RogerEden

POSTER_ID:16901428

Send a message

Post by dragstor
RogerEden wrote:I live in UK, will I be able to use Waze in the U.S. Will I need local SIM? Will I earn points? As Internet required for routing, what is the best way to that. Internet roaming costs very expensive not an option Thanks
Yes you will, you need a local SIM if you want to get live data & a proper routing. Points are collected no matter what platform you're on :)

I advise you to contact somebody from the region you intend to go to for detailed info about the SIM, browse this forum for more info.

Cheers! :mrgreen:
dragstor
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
GC • Coordinator • Balkans CM • Translator • Beta Tester

Wazing with Nissan Qashqai 4x4 1.6DCi

Post by foxitrot
dragstor wrote:
RogerEden wrote:I live in UK, will I be able to use Waze in the U.S. [...] Will I earn points?
Yes you will, [...] Points are collected no matter what platform you're on :)[/url].
Possibly a late response, but I suspect that the points for driving are still being collected separately for U.S. and European infrastructures. (Please correct me of I'm wrong.)

Sent from a touch display, which took care of perfectly scrambling my thoughts.
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
...with the good old crashing :roll: Symbian 2.1.99.114 (on N-E52), while
trying to get used to the good new asocial Android 4.xx.0.yyy (on OP-X March-me-Low).

Post by foxitrot
YggY wrote:One other thing that will happen is that Waze will crash the first time you start it up on the other side of the ditch, because it will need to refresh the map (and some other data)

Not exactly. It terminates itself after switching to a different set of servers. (Possibly the GUI is lacking a proper explanation of the process and possibly the app could immediately start itself again.)

foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
trying to get used to the good new asocial Android 4.xx.0.yyy (on OP-X March-me-Low).

Post by foxitrot
OK, I take it.

foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by YggY
You're right... as a European currently living in Canada, I had to start over collecting points :(

One other thing that will happen is that Waze will crash the first time you start it up on the other side of the ditch, because it will need to refresh the map (and some other data)
YggY
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
https://s.waze.tools/c2.png
Area Manager Ottawa/Arnprior/Brockville/Cornwall, Ontario, Canada

Post by YggY
foxitrot wrote:
YggY wrote:...
Not exactly. It terminates itself after switching to a different set of servers. (Possibly the GUI is lacking a proper explanation of the process and possibly the app could immediately start itself again.)
Terminating without exception... crashing... to-meh-to to-mah-to...

Anyhow: I have to kill the process and restart Waze myself :)
YggY
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
https://s.waze.tools/c2.png
Area Manager Ottawa/Arnprior/Brockville/Cornwall, Ontario, Canada