Update on New Transifex Project for Ucomm

Moderators: Unholy, orit_y

Update on New Transifex Project for Ucomm

Postby Ottolenga » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:11 pm

Hi Dear Localizers!

I hope you are all doing well and safe

I'd like to share a recent transifex update with you:
The localization team has been working for a while now on implementing the User comm project (previously sent to you by email and sheets) into transifex, and integrating them with the internal tool that updates the strings to production twice a day. (see Dana's previous post about this).
It is a great milestone and success for the community and thank you to everyone that has been translating Ucomm strings in different ways.

Important Note: For our top 13 languages there is NO change at all, as this is a project translated by staff and linguists up until now.

ucomm post.png
(47.28 KiB) Downloaded 527 times

Thank you for your collaboration and for everything you do to make Waze more localized!

Tamar on behalf of the community team
Ottolenga
Waze Team
Waze Team

Re: Update on New Transifex Project for Ucomm

Postby Ottolenga » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:33 pm

Hi everyone.

I see that there is a bit of confusion around this project, and I'd like to try to explain things a bit better.

First of all, I'd like to say that there is no change at all in translation permissions, but it is only a technical one.
Up until now, this project was translated by Waze Staff and e2f only for the top 13 languages.
However we were sending email requests to all other languages that were translating such strings through sheets.

Our purpose was to make things easier for all the languages that previously translated these strings by email. It was not easy to grant them access to the project, but we thought it would be a great win for the community.

For the top 13 languages, this was never an option and nothing really changed.
We are giving you access to everything that is available to you and approved by the localization, legal and product teams, but unfortunately the Ucomm project is not one of them.

I realize this is not the ideal solution, but it is really important to us to be transparent and communicate everything with the whole community.

I hope you understand that we are here to help and to do what is best for the community.
Please do not hesitate to reach out to me for any additional questions or clarifications.

Tamar on behalf of the Community team
Ottolenga
Waze Team
Waze Team

Postby Ottolenga » Mon Apr 06, 2020 8:57 am

Hi Everyone!

I hope you are all well.
I'd like to share some good news :)

After discussing the matter with the localization and other relevant teams, we came to an agreement and I am happy to announce that we are opening the Ucomm Core project to the top 13 languages for collaboration with the linguists.

As it was very important for us to make sure your voice was heard around this matter, we ask you to carefully review the guidelines around how to collaborate with the linguists, published in the Localization community site.

I'd like to highlight two main points:

• Whenever you'd like to change/edit a translation previously done by the linguists, do not override it, but please leave a comment instead, tagging the linguist and myself @tamaro to the transifex string. I will make sure you get an answer in a timely manner.
  • And please don't forget we all share the same mission :)

Thank you!
Best
Tamar
Ottolenga
Waze Team
Waze Team

Postby Sea_Breeze » Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:16 pm

Hi Tamar,

Can you grant us access the Dutch part of core-user-communications or is that only for e2f?
In case it's only for e2f, please explain why Waze chose not to involve the community for the top 12 languages and why other languages already have access to this project .

Regards, Han
Country Manager The Netherlands & Team Leader Dutch Localisation Team
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
Han@WazeNederland.nl
Sea_Breeze
Experts
Experts

Location: Randstad, The Netherlands Country Manager & Team Leader Localisation Team

Return to Localization