Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

WME videos for translation

Post by nickyaug
Hi all,

We have 6 new resources for translation in all the languages.
Each resource is one video that will be live to help editors to edit using WME.

In the first string of each resource (each video) you can find the link for the video to help you with the translation.

This translation will be in the subtitle only (not voices and not in write messages or product that you can see in the video).

Here you have the 6 resources:

Video 1
Video 2
Video 3
Video 4
Video 5
Video 6

Let me know if you have questions or need any help on it.

Thanks for your help! :D

Nicole
nickyaug
Waze Team
Waze Team
Answers: 1

POSTER_ID:17973654

Send a message

Post by delilush
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for your comments. Let me start by saying that I don't believe that one can become an experienced map editor by watching a handful of tutorial videos. It takes connecting to the community, reviewing local Wazeopeida and a lot of practice to get to that place.

Our goal for this initial series of videos is to explain as briefly as possible, very complicated processes to someone who is entering WME for the very first time (possibly overwhelmed by all the objects and colors on the map) and does not comprehend how powerful the tool is, nor how to get started using it.

Of course, as always we're open to making changes to some of the details in the video. I do hope the below answers help give you more context on what we are going for here.
proffa71 wrote:Translated all 6 yesterday and the next videos tell somewhat OK about turn enabling etc. That 1st one you all seem to be commenting about is just a short introduction and others go deeper into settings, turns etc. It would just need a final note to watch all other videos too, now someone could get a wrong impression from this.
Agreed, one isolated video would give the wrong impression. I'll add a little bit more about how these videos will be placed:
  • As current videos, they will be embedded as a "playlist" in practice mode and upon first log in of a new editor. See image below. So there should be sufficient context there.
  • We will also add it to the Wazer to Wazer site, where it will be available in video form, as well as in a step-by-step tutorial form. It will contain stills + text (think of wikihow as an example of how we want to realize this). Since it's a text based format, we could also add a little more information to it than the videos.
  • We will also add them to the Waze Helpcenter
  • Of course you are encouraged to embed them in your local Wazeopedia pages with additional context as well.
  • They are also available as a youtube playlist.
Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 13.07.50.png
(119.06 KiB) Downloaded 158 times
fuchserl wrote: the possibility of pressing 'i' is not mentioned. Nobody clicks in the menu to map a road, why make it complicated for new users and have them give up soon after, because it's a unnecessary tedious task to click in the menu?
We originally considered adding more keyboard shortcuts in general for all videos. Since we are gearing these tutorials at completely new users, we tried to keep information at a minimum and decided to leave the possibility open to do a separate video tutorial on shortcuts at a later point. This is something we can clarify in the step by step text + photo tutorial - maybe have a list of top 10 shortcuts you should know about?
fuchserl wrote: the step of mapping the layout of the street (segment's shape) while creating a segment is ignored. It just says start point, end point - and then change the segment's shape. This is an unnecessary complicated way to do it and will make give up new editors, if they follow your suggestions exactly. Especially with long segments this is not feasible.
You're right, I wouldn't go about editing in this way and for sure not for a long segment. We decided to show it this way to emphasize the existence of geometry nodes in the first place. It would have probably been better to draw the segment similar to the path of the road and then to make a small adjustment to the geonode to show it can be used to make it more accurate.
This is also something we could clarify in the step by step text + photo tutorial.
fuchserl wrote:Ouch, what I didn't see before (since I didn't watch the video):
In the first Video they don't even connect beginning and end with existing segments when drawing the segment.
This is the most stupid way to act, because, even if you have activated the WME setting to set all TRs to green, they will be all red, because they are connected separately after drawing the segment..

This is going to give lots of segments with all red TRs, even if the editor had the correct settings in the WME.

Please take that video down and change this after asking somebody who knows how to edit!
Also here, you're right. It is not necessarily best practice to edit this way. We are trying to demonstrate snapping here clearly in a visual manner and decided to create the video this way because of that. We can fix this in a coming iteration of the video if you believe it's critical to the understanding of a new user.
Sapozhnik wrote: Scenario was written by non-editor. I wouldn't recommend it to newbies.
Ps. I have watched and translated only first video. Possible my opinion will changing after watching others.
As explained above, we are aware that the first video doesn't necessarily reflect best editing practice. We can change it in a future iteration. Would be happy to hear what you think about the other videos.
omba_de wrote: Kind of a funny video…
Please mention to fill all available details of the new segment. W/out a name / city (or at least checked „none“) the segment won’t be uploaded in the next tiles update.

Well… at least the idea is ok
We covered this in a lot of detail in the second video. Let me know if you think something needs to be changed there in street naming.

I hope this helps address the questions and comments here. Thank you to those who already started translating.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Best,
Daliah
delilush
Waze Team
Waze Team
Send a message

Post by fuchserl
Hi,
some remarks regarding the first Video's texts:
  • the possibility of pressing 'i' is not mentioned. Nobody clicks in the menu to map a road, why make it complicated for new users and have them give up soon after, because it's a unnecessary tedious task to click in the menu?
  • the step of mapping the layout of the street (segment's shape) while creating a segment is ignored. It just says start point, end point - and then change the segment's shape. This is an unnecessary complicated way to do it and will make give up new editors, if they follow your suggestions exactly. Especially with long segments this is not feasible.
fuchserl
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Wolfgang

Localiser (DE), Beta-WME, Android App Beta Leader, GC, LC, AM, CM (AT, BF, CD, CF, CG, CM, DJ, ER, ET, GH, GN, GQ, KE, SD, SO, SS, TD, UG)
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... _0M_6c.pnghttps://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... rsig22.png

Post by fuchserl
Ouch, what I didn't see before (since I didn't watch the video):
In the first Video they don't even connect beginning and end with existing segments when drawing the segment.
This is the most stupid way to act, because, even if you have activated the WME setting to set all TRs to green, they will be all red, because they are connected separately after drawing the segment..

This is going to give lots of segments with all red TRs, even if the editor had the correct settings in the WME.

Please take that video down and change this after asking somebody who knows how to edit!
fuchserl
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Wolfgang

Localiser (DE), Beta-WME, Android App Beta Leader, GC, LC, AM, CM (AT, BF, CD, CF, CG, CM, DJ, ER, ET, GH, GN, GQ, KE, SD, SO, SS, TD, UG)
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... _0M_6c.pnghttps://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... rsig22.png

Post by omba_de
Kind of a funny video…
Please mention to fill all available details of the new segment. W/out a name / city (or at least checked „none“) the segment won’t be uploaded in the next tiles update.

Well… at least the idea is ok ;)
omba_de
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Probleme mit i-Gerät und Waze? Bitte melden. Als iOS-expert kann ich dir vielleicht weiter helfen!
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/0/00/AtericSig.png

AT-Wiki
Wie Waze Routen Kalkuliert

Post by proffa71
Translated all 6 yesterday and the next videos tell somewhat OK about turn enabling etc. That 1st one you all seem to be commenting about is just a short introduction and others go deeper into settings, turns etc. It would just need a final note to watch all other videos too, now someone could get a wrong impression from this.
proffa71
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Oletko jo käynyt Waze Finlandin Discordissa, rennompaa jutustelua ja muihin editoreihin tutustumista: https://discord.gg/GnqERGJUpB

https://i.ibb.co/X36kJbj/Banner1-M-Megamapper.png

Global Champ
Country Manager
Community, Partner, Localization and Mentoring Coordinator
First Responder
Beta WME & Android
Finland

Post by Sapozhnik
fuchserl wrote:Hi,
some remarks regarding the first Video's texts:
  • the possibility of pressing 'i' is not mentioned. Nobody clicks in the menu to map a road, why make it complicated for new users and have them give up soon after, because it's a unnecessary tedious task to click in the menu?
  • the step of mapping the layout of the street (segment's shape) while creating a segment is ignored. It just says start point, end point - and then change the segment's shape. This is an unnecessary complicated way to do it and will make give up new editors, if they follow your suggestions exactly. Especially with long segments this is not feasible.
Scenario was written by non-editor. I wouldn't recommend it to newbies. :D
Ps. I have watched and translated only first video. Possible my opinion will changing after watching others.
Sapozhnik
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 3
Send a message
Andrey,
Ukraine Waze Coordinator, GC, CM, Beta, ...
http://waze.com.ua