Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Please translate local words for exit and on ramp

Post by jannur
I love waze and have used for several years. One thing, however, is annoying me and that is the English pronunciation of foreign words that mean exit, on ramp and so forth. It makes no sense what so ever.

For example, I am using waze in Sweden with the English voice over. The Swedish word for "exit" is "Avfart" and instead of translating this to the English word exit, the voice pronounces the word in English. This word is never used on signs in Sweden, only the exit number is listed, so it is really confusing. The same applies to "påfart" which means on ramp in Swedish and there are probably more examples both in Swedish and other languages.

It is bad enough that all the road names are pronounced in English and are completely uncomprehensible even for Swedes. It would make much more sense if the pronunciation was based on swapping the three Swedish special characters ä ö å with their closest neighbors a o aa. The latter applies to Denmark and Norway as well with the addition of the letter æ, which is ae.

This is a nuisance for tourists visiting foreign countries.
jannur

POSTER_ID:16849017

Send a message

Post by edsonajj
Jannur, what voice are you using on the app? The pronunciation depends on that.
edsonajj
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Edson Jiménez