Important Transifex Update - Translation Community

Post by dpanics
Dear Team

We have added discussion topics in Transifex regarding the addition of new Waze linguists that would be joining some of our projects. After hearing some concerns about these new linguists (Waze_x team) making changes to the translations, we would like to clarify some matters with you, since we truly believe that transparency and collaboration with our community is a core value at Waze.

Due to the rapidly moving Carpool launches and the fact that part of the success of Carpool relies on people making a major behavior change, we have had to put a lot more focus on how our UI looks and is understood by Wazers and Carpoolers. Due to recent analysis provided by the Waze Product team and after careful consideration with the Product team, it was determined that we need to bring the same level of quality to translations, as we have in the map. This is a huge project just like the Map quality one, which is a great success thanks to our team of dedicated community of map editors, constantly improving the map quality.

The focus on translation quality is a very new project so we need to proceed carefully and come up with an optimal process to combine high quality, fun, and collaboration in order to achieve the best possible outcome for you and your fellow Wazers.

Our aim is not to push you out in any way, on the contrary, we appreciate everything that you do for Waze and see great value in your huge contribution, in fact, we need you today more than ever! While professional linguists may know how to translate words, you guys know the product better than anyone else. We would potentially like to see you working together, with the professional linguists, if that’s something you are open to, by reviewing their work, providing them context, letting them know when you think they are incorrect and discussing, together with them, what is the best way to translate a certain string, only to achieve the highest level of quality. We would like to offer the professional linguists as a resource for all of you, and we see an opportunity to create something very unique in the field of crowd-sourced translations. We believe that with your help Waze could become the leader in providing crowd-sourced translations.

As always, we truly appreciate your dedication and precious feedback, and we would love to hear your thoughts about this change and what would be the best way to go about this. In the meantime we are working on building a plan that will foster deep collaboration between our Localization community and our professional dedicated Waze linguists. If you are interested in joining a task force to help us build this plan out please let us know by filling out this form, and we will schedule a webinar, in the next month to share updates.

Thank you
dpanics
Waze Team
Waze Team

POSTER_ID:17548620

Send a message

Post by dpanics
Hi Everyone,

Thank you for all your comments and questions regarding the translation process that was recently brought up. Your feedback is highly important to us!

We just had a meeting regarding this process and we went over the comments that were brought up via Hangouts/ Forum/ Private Messages. We think that the best way to clarify things and really talk to each other, would be by doing a video conference, as this would help clear any misunderstandings and answer your comments.

I’d like to invite you to join us on Big Marker - Tuesday, May 21st, at 6:00 pm IL time (time convertor).

Don’t worry if you can’t make it! The session will be recorded and I’ll send out a summary of everything we discussed after the call.

Thank you in advance for your time,
Dana, on behalf of the Communities Team
dpanics
Waze Team
Waze Team
Send a message

Post by felohidalgo
petervdveen wrote:How do I become a paid translator?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
felohidalgo
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
Felipe Hidalgo
Coordinador Costa Rica

WIKI COSTA RICA
EDITOR DE MAPAS
PUBLICIDAD EN WAZE

Post by felohidalgo
I don't understand how a linguist can translate better than a group of more than 15 guys from many different Spanish Latam countries.
If we want a "word by word" translation we could ask Google Translate instead of them.
felohidalgo
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
Felipe Hidalgo
Coordinador Costa Rica

WIKI COSTA RICA
EDITOR DE MAPAS
PUBLICIDAD EN WAZE

Post by fuchserl
You need permission
This form can only be viewed by users in the owner's organization.

Try contacting the owner of the form if you think this is a mistake. Learn More.

EDIT: works now, thanks
fuchserl
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Wolfgang

Localiser (DE), Beta-WME, Android App Beta Leader, GC, LC, AM, CM (AT, BF, CD, CF, CG, CM, DJ, ER, ET, GH, GN, GQ, KE, SD, SO, SS, TD, UG)
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... _0M_6c.pnghttps://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... rsig22.png

Post by fuchserl
Which languages are concerned at the moment?

Some feedback form my side, as Dana asked in the HO:

I do think that a collaboration with professionalists can improve the overall quality, if the quality is not good now.
It always depends on how they approach the matter.
Just changing strings without contacting the localisation team responsible for the language, like it already happened as I hear on the HO, seems not the ideal way, to say the least.

The better way would be to first contact the localisation teams before changing strings on their own. I haven't seen any such changes in German (which doesn't mean there are none), but I sure would be pissed as well like other people in the HO are.

For many strings there is at least one good reason why they are translated the way they are.
Therefore, first changing strings and then having the team ask to change it back is the absolutely wrong order. Asking before the change is the only way to go (not only out of politeness, but also due to translation quality and to avoid frustration in the community).

Another thing (which should not be necessary to mention): they should use the app themselves on a daily basis, otherwise we have the same problems with them as we have with Waze staff who don't know their own product.
fuchserl
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Wolfgang

Localiser (DE), Beta-WME, Android App Beta Leader, GC, LC, AM, CM (AT, BF, CD, CF, CG, CM, DJ, ER, ET, GH, GN, GQ, KE, SD, SO, SS, TD, UG)
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... _0M_6c.pnghttps://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... rsig22.png

Post by jcnina
Now form is Ok
Thanks!
jcnina
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
jcnina
José Carlos Nina
URUGUAY

Post by kpouer
Same question here, maybe some languages had problems, but I don’t understand the benefit of using linguists here for most common languages. We are not translating a book but only a few words that anyone could translate if he knows the context.
Except if you had feedback that some translations were not good ?

edit : you could pay localizers from the community. If they are paid they become professional linguists and everybody is happy :)
kpouer
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
Area manager entre Paris et l'Auvergne
Coordinateur France
Country Manager Algérie http://www.facebook.com/WazeAlgerie & twitter: http://twitter.com/WazeAlgerie
Country Manager west Africa

Post by marcedli
Well... i don’t exactly understand why Waze needed this new team. Carpool is available in those countries where Waze is very popular. Let’s say English, Spanish, Portuguese, French, Italian. Yeah...Philippines, Indonesia...

But in these languages you have a very good quality translation. So why they are needed?

I’m not convinced. You tried it several times to bring outsiders to localizing Waze, it became always a mess. In the app, on the web, in Google help center, everywhere.

I hope this time it will be better. We are here to help as always.
marcedli
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by petervdveen
How do I become a paid translator?
petervdveen
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message
Coordinator Waze Netherlands

Click here to sign-up for slack, our communication platform