Waze.com Website Migration and Updates - Recap Call

Post by Ottolenga
Hi Everyone,

Thank you very much for joining the call earlier today and for sharing your thoughts and questions.

I'd like to summarize what was discussed in this post, for those who attended the call but mostly for those who missed it. I want to reiterate that it was very important for us to share this upcoming change with you before it happens in a few weeks from now.

Here you can find the recording of the call, for whoever couldn't join us.
Here can find the deck that was presented in the call.

Here are some of the key points we discussed:
  1. Following an internal change in tools and process, Waze.com is moving platforms and as a result some of the Website translations will be moving to Google Localization.
  2. The main advantages to this transition are significantly quicker turnaround on editing, creating and translating new pages - from a few weeks to a few hours in many cases. This will also mean less developer time is needed for website changes.
  3. The main implications of this change for you are that page translations of the affected pages will move to Google localization, since the new platform's translation tool is only available internally. Main pages affected are related to carpool, marketing and partners pages, but also the homepage and the communities page. See the full list of pages affected below.
  4. Those pages will be translated to 16 languages only. The remaining pages (incl. WME, livemap etc.) will remain under the old process and most of them can be translated in transifex. See the full list of languages moving to G-Localization below.
The pages that will move to Google Localization are the following:
  • / (homepage)
  • /waze
  • /carpool
  • /app
  • /communities
  • /apps
  • /carpool-app
  • /carpool/promotions/:slug
  • /carpool/guidelines
  • /carpool/pricing
  • /carpool/contact
  • /carpool/unavailable
  • /about
  • /partners
  • /wazeforcities (/ccp)
  • /wazeforcities/casestudies
  • /wazeforcities/casestudies/:id
  • /contact
  • /sms
  • /forms/sdk
  • /forms/carpool
  • /forms/broadcasters
  • /forms/thanks/default
  • /forms/thanks/broadcasters
  • /forms/thanks/sdk
  • /forms/thanks/ccp
  • /forms/thanks/carpool
  • /press (NEW PAGE)
  • /carpool/download_mobile_app
  • /articles/carpool
  • /articles/carpool/:id
  • /careers
All other pages will still be translated by the community and to all languages.

The 16 languages supported by G-localization are:
  • Arabic
  • Czech
  • Dutch
  • English
  • French
  • German
  • Hebrew
  • Hungarian
  • Indonesian
  • Italian
  • Malay
  • Portuguese (Brazil)
  • Romanian
  • Russian
  • Spanish
  • Spanish LATAM
All other languages will be partially translated by the community, and the website will support translations to specific pages.
The pages that will not be translated in all languages will be displayed in English.

We'd like to THANK YOU for your collaboration and for your dedication, and we remain at your disposal for any question that may arise. Please don't hesitate to reach out!

Best Regards,

Tamar, on behalf of the Waze Communities Team
Ottolenga
Waze Team
Waze Team

Post by fuchserl
Thanks for the information. It was nice to see you all :)
I think this is the first time in all the years I have been around that Waze actually fulfilled a promise they gave, to improve communication by informing the community about something before it happens...
fuchserl
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Wolfgang

Localiser (DE), Beta-WME, Android App Beta Leader, GC, LC, AM, CM (AT, BF, CD, CF, CG, CM, DJ, ER, ET, GH, GN, GQ, KE, SD, SO, SS, TD, UG)
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... _0M_6c.pnghttps://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... RWrsig.png

Post by jkl5
Dos that movement will effect the client translation or the WME page ?
jkl5
Country Manager
Country Manager
JK
L5
https://i.ibb.co/JFLWTR5/Screenshot-3.png
Waze Map Editor volunteer- Rank 5
Transifex Coordinator for Arabic

Post by LostInMyMaps
jkl5 wrote:Dos that movement will effect the client translation or the WME page ?
No
LostInMyMaps
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 3
Brendan (LostInMyMaps)
Global Champ, Coordinator, Volunteer Map Editor
Waze Australia

https://i.imgur.com/UGy6pq8.png

Join me in the Waze Australia Discord Server | Australia Wiki | New Aussie Editor Link

Post by Nickyaug
Hi all,

Hope everybody is ok.

Following up the call that you had with Tamar in October/2020, the website system migration became more relevant recently and we are ready to start the process.

We will start it today pushing to production the pages:

- apps
- waze-app
- carpool-app

We should have more updates/pages to production in the upcoming weeks.
Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any question/comment regarding this migration.

Best,
Nicole
Nickyaug
Waze Team
Waze Team