Gas Station - Update Prices

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy, orit_y

Re: Gas Station - Update Prices

Postby ArlenBystander » Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:16 pm

I haven't submitted the form yet. In the USA, we will not be able to have a unified range - unless very large - for prices across the country. Even within my regular driving area we can have price differences of $.25 for the same grade of gasoline. Prices can also change dramatically within a 24-hour period. Diesel is a less volatile in price changes than gasoline.
CM: USA / AM: Chicago & suburbs / WME βeta Tester
Wiki Resources: Map Editing | Best Practices | Illinois Mapping
ArlenBystander
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby cobornkid » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:50 pm

The EIA site has some good data you could use for the us. If there's no API it is easy to scrape it into Json and query that.

http://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/pet_pri_gnd_dcus_sfl_w.htm

I would suggest setting the acceptable range dynamically based on the average price in the area the day before. The size of allowable variation could easily be calculated from the volatility over the previous year.

That said, I've filled the form in anyway.
cobornkid

Postby daburol » Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:15 am

Hello.

In Spain, there is an official web with update prices of all Gas Station:

http://geoportal.mityc.es/hidrocarburos/eess/

Maybe it's possible to use this information for database of waze in Spain....

Bye!
daburol

Postby daknife » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:44 am

I'm still not seeing any reason to lock in prices to a restrictive range. In the US in the last year we've seen a greater than 1 dollar per gallon fluxuation in price in just my area. And have seen a range crossing several dollars for the same grade depending on where you are in the country. Even within a state the range can vary widely for the same grade of fuel, and change daily if not more often.

Perhaps a better explanation of what exactly you expect this to do, or rather enable you to do. I don't see the wisdom of trying to lock prices to a set range, especially with a once per year limit on changing the range.
AM in Utah; CM USA
Utah Forum: Utah Forum
Samsung Galaxy S4 running 4.4 KitKat on Sprint
daknife
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby davipt » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:55 pm

porubcan wrote:Any suggestions regarding setting of the range? Would you like to report current real min/max prices or the range, that would allow price changes over a time.

Examples. Most common fuel in my country (natural 95) costs currently 1,469 € up to 1,529 € per liter, when checking nearby stations. Diesel is around for 1,404 to 1,449 per liter. Two-three years ago diesel costed ca. 1,150 in average. So ca. >25% raise.

So what would be appropriate to report for 95-grade?
A. 1,469 - 1,529 and you will set wider range upon your general rules.
Or
B. 1,350 - 1,700 - range allowing price changes according to my judgement.

For Portugal I assumed the worst case and have set 95/98 from 1,000 to 2.999 and diesel from 1.000 to 1.999. 98 will cross the €2 any time soon here, and 95 will follow in a couple years. When Diesel crosses the €2, I'll change planet, country, or simply close myself at home forever. The lower limit I'm sure we won't see them going down ever.

The current prices here are around €1.469 for Diesel, €1.649 for 95, €1.799 for 98. Then there are some cheaper discount brands, but that's another story.

I'm not that old but still remember my first driving years almost 20 years ago with Diesel at ¢40/liter :(((((

The prices are still too volatile, so IMHO don't set a range too small.

EDIT: GPL range: €0.500 - 1.999
Last edited by davipt on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ | Coordinator and Manager for Portugal | Expert iPhone and others
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:08 pm

foxitrot wrote:Hello Shira,

how often do you expect (or will allow) Waze countries to modify these ranges? If e.g. twice a year would be appropriate, then we could set the bounds tight enough (+- 0.20-0.30 €), in order to prevent mistypes and/or abuse, and regularly update them as necessary. Otherwise the bound are, IMHO, useless, especially in the mentioned form 1.000-2.999.

It depends on what waze (shirapashu) means with "makes sense" and what you asked - how many times can one update them.

I'm sure some countries like USA can have a smaller range as the prices are lower and surely more stable, but for the rest of the world (or europe in my case) a range of 1.0-2.9 is perfectly valid taking in consideration the last few years, the status of the crisis and the state of the rest of the world. On top of that, in Portugal, there are too many variables involved - the crisis, the IMF, the taxes going up all the time - that, as I said, the 98 at currently 1.799 will most probably reach the €2 before the end of the year. I hope I'm wrong.

IMHO the "makes sense" is more about preventing people from entering values by mistake - forgetting the first 1 for example - than trying to prevent people from entering fake values on purpose. Hence my proposal (for my country) for the 1-2.99 to prevent an invalid left-side euro digit by mistake. It has happened to me sometimes, instead of 1.469 the 1 fails and I just notice when I see the 4.69 lacking the third decimal digit.
Bruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ | Coordinator and Manager for Portugal | Expert iPhone and others
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:58 am

Have you all been reading the whole thread? Is it that hard to specify a range that prevents user errors ;)?
For the US, on a first look at google I saw prices around $3.>5 for fuel, $4.<5 for 98 and $4.<5 for diesel, so I'd personally set 95 to $2.5-4.9, 98 to 3.0-5.5 and same for diesel. Just because I personally think the fuel will never ever go down in Europe but may somehow go down in the US, hence why the lower limits.

Shira, maybe it would have been easier to ask the question like "what is the range of the first and second digits". :P

The idea is just to avoid people entering $1.234 or $9.999 by mistake or malice. Nobody can predict the price range to the cent in one year, at least not in this kind of world.

I hope in one year we're asking waze for a new field for electricity price or something :)

shirapashu wrote:
davipt wrote:Hello Shira,

IMHO the "makes sense" is more about preventing people from entering values by mistake - forgetting the first 1 for example - than trying to prevent people from entering fake values on purpose. Hence my proposal (for my country) for the 1-2.99 to prevent an invalid left-side euro digit by mistake. It has happened to me sometimes, instead of 1.469 the 1 fails and I just notice when I see the 4.69 lacking the third decimal digit.

Exactly! :D thank you for clarification!

Thanks

Shira
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby edge12 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:38 am

How about applying this feature to our country? the Philippines? Here's the full Fuel Price History of our country since 2005 up to now. http://www.alternat1ve.com/philippine-gas-prices.php?product=&page=0
edge12

Postby fotrik » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:40 am

This is going to be very difficult. In our quite small country the prices can differ up to ~25% between small unbranded station hidden in a village and and larger station near border. And I don't count the seasonal changes in it. I would need to set a very relaxed range which would filter out only typo errors like 3.50 instead of 35.00.
ImageImage
fotrik

Postby foxitrot » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:02 pm

Hello Shira,

how often do you expect (or will allow) Waze countries to modify these ranges? If e.g. twice a year would be appropriate, then we could set the bounds tight enough (+- 0.20-0.30 €), in order to prevent mistypes and/or abuse, and regularly update them as necessary. Otherwise the bound are, IMHO, useless, especially in the mentioned form 1.000-2.999.
...with the good old crashing :roll: Symbian 2.1.99.114 (N-E52), while
trying to get used to the good new crashing Android 3.7.xx.yyy (SG-A2 JealousBin).
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Next

Return to Localization