Localization tasks

Moderators: Unholy, orit_y

Localization tasks

Postby adriansinger » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:30 pm

Hi dear users and welcome to the Localization Forum!

So, just a small explanation about the translation and localization. As you know, Waze supports 29 languages, and more are on the way!

However, we do not have the capacity to support local versions of a language shared by more than one region, country or province. This means that, for example, we support just Spanish, and not Argentinean Spanish, Colombian Spanish, Spaniard Spanish, etc. By "Spanish" we mean a more or less neutral Spanish, and as translations are community-based, we rely on the community wisdom to get to the neutral point. Other examples include French (shared by France, Belgium, Canada, Louxemburg, etc.) or German (shared by Germany, Austria, Switzerland, etc.). The two exceptions are UK English/US English, and Brazilian Portuguese/Portugal Portuguese, which we won't expand to others (again, capacity issues).

By non-translation localization tasks we mean things such as working on local currency, local ways shields, customizing new features like the gas stations feature, presentation of specific letters on the client and editor, and special design.

In addition, we do support local languages within countries, such as Catalonic in Spain, for example.

We'll be happy to know your thoughts.

Adrian
Adrián Singer
Community Manager
América Latina, España, Portugal y Brasil

adriansinger
Waze Team
Waze Team

Re: Localization tasks

Postby aigarslv » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:41 pm

Please consider making hosts ( http://es.waze.com http://it.waze.com ) for other languages aswell, like Latvian lv.waze.com or Russian ru.waze.com and of course other languages :)
Latvian translation coordinator. Localization, Beta editor, Points, Client and Android expert. Content Creator on http://www.facebook.com/Waze
aigarslv
Experts
Experts

Postby davipt » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:39 pm

Thank you for the split pt_BR vs. pt_PT. We are supposed to align ourselves, there is even an official Language Agreement that both countries should align to, but it's most probably gonna take one whole generation to get to that point.

But besides the two different translation files - and obviously different gas currency and shield formats - most of all other work is being as much aligned as possible.

(ok honestly, I've been trying to take a ride with Brazil and use their bigger user base - 50 times as much according to our calculations - as a way to enable features in Portugal, like enabling Raquel (pt_BR) as the Portugal's TTS, and share and align the abbreviations table).
ImageBruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ
Coordinator for Portugal | Expert iPhone and others
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Re: Re: Localization tasks

Postby davipt » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:17 pm

foxitrot wrote:
GPSRitter wrote:but I`m ok for a split europe.waze.com, asia.waze.com, me.waze.com, africa.waze.com, pacific.waze.com, sa.waze.com and as it is na.waze.com ... less user per server, better performance ... :)

You know, it is not about performance, rather about the possibility for non-English-speaking wazers to participate. To plain understand at all...

I think the idea was not to split the backend servers per country (quite the opposite, Israel is being integrated, and who knows if one day US will also be integrated), but simply the localization of the main website.

Currently the waze.com is a catch all domain (anything.waze.com goes to the website), but only some country (es.waze.com, it.waze.com) will return a localized website.

I think this is just a question of priorities, let the translation team publish the website strings into transifex for us to translate, and then let the developers configure the webservers to pick up the new languages.

I think this will come after they sort out the other more important webpages - scoreboard, vouchers, sharing maps, etc.
ImageBruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ
Coordinator for Portugal | Expert iPhone and others
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Re: Re: Localization tasks

Postby foxitrot » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:07 pm

GPSRitter wrote:but I`m ok for a split europe.waze.com, asia.waze.com, me.waze.com, africa.waze.com, pacific.waze.com, sa.waze.com and as it is na.waze.com ... less user per server, better performance ... :)

You know, it is not about performance, rather about the possibility for non-English-speaking wazers to participate. To plain understand at all...
...with the good old crashing :roll: Symbian 2.1.99.114 (N-E52), while
trying to get used to the good new social Android 3.9.xx.yyy (SG-A2 JealousBin).
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby GPSRitter » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:47 am

aigarslv wrote:Please consider making hosts ( http://es.waze.com http://it.waze.com ) for other languages aswell, like Latvian lv.waze.com or Russian ru.waze.com and of course other languages :)

Totally agree ... a dach.waze.com would be ideal ... :mrgreen:

but I`m ok for a split europe.waze.com, asia.waze.com, me.waze.com, africa.waze.com, pacific.waze.com, sa.waze.com and as it is na.waze.com ... less user per server, better performance ... :)
GPSRitter
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Return to Localization