Voice Commands Menu - not translated

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy, orit_y

Re: Voice Commands Menu - not translated

Postby davipt » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:45 pm

It's nice that some strings are already translated, but the ASR is kind of "useless" in non english countries. What I would like to see, after these remaining strings being translatable, would be the answers spoken by the TTS, as reply to our commands, to be on the tts file, so albeit we still need to say the commands in english for now, at least the answers would be in the native tongue. It's so funny to hear Raquel reading english with her brazilian accent :D
Bruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ | Coordinator and Manager for Portugal | Expert iPhone and others
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby edsonajj » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:29 am

Kuhlkatz wrote:The is nothing preventing the users from using ASR where it can be activated, assuming they can mimic the American accent well enough.
I would imagine that some people might have limited success with the ASR attempts.
I can only imagine attempts in a thick Russian accent and also the Afrikaans accent where the R is properly pronounced and not 'rolled' like the Yanks ;-)

Still, if this is properly translated, at least the interface text would be consistent. It looks sort of half-baked in its current form.

Off topic, but I added 'Barney' to the ASR command file as an alternative for a certain mood, and I get a higher success rate with that than the other two alternatives.

I have the ASR manually activated (originally for the monster but left it) and have my phone set to British English... I get quite a laugh both from the TTS girl trying to speak in spanish and from trying to give the commands with an accent that matches what it expects.
Edson Jiménez
Coordinador de comunidad, México
edsonajj
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Voice Commands Menu - not translated

Postby Kuhlkatz » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:39 am

With ASR active, some of the strings under the Settings->Voice Commands sub-menu are not translated in any of the languages.

The following strings are still shown 'as-is' in English even after translation in all the languages. I understand that ASR only supports English in it's current form, but having a custom translated version can still easily indicate this :
ex:
'Report heavy traffic'. You'll be
prompted for additional details.

vs the equivalent translated :
* Rapporteer
bv:
'Report heavy traffic'. Jy sal
gevra word vir meer besonderhede.

I have verified at least in 2 other existing 'supported' languages that this is the same, i.e. Italian & Dutch. I assume this would be true across the board . Attached is a screenshot of what I am working on :
Screenshot_2013-03-10-16-46-39-2.jpg
Screenshot_2013-03-10-16-46-39-2.jpg (47.28 KiB) Viewed 1952 times

Also, not all strings for the ASR microphone popup are available, like:
'Tap to Cancel'
and
'Listening'
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
Using HTC One, Stock ROM, Android 4.2.2
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing
Kuhlkatz
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby Kuhlkatz » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:23 am

There is nothing preventing the users from using ASR where it can be activated, assuming they can mimic the American accent well enough.
I would imagine that some people might have limited success with the ASR attempts.
I can only imagine attempts in a thick Russian accent and also the Afrikaans accent where the R is properly pronounced and not 'rolled' like the Yanks ;-)

Still, if this is properly translated, at least the interface text would be consistent. It looks sort of half-baked in its current form.

Edit: Removed Barney reference - forgot this is an 'open' section.
Last edited by Kuhlkatz on Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
Using HTC One, Stock ROM, Android 4.2.2
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing
Kuhlkatz
Beta tester
Beta tester

Return to Localization