Discern between camera & fixed camera

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy, orit_y

Re: Discern between camera & fixed camera

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:42 pm

arbaot wrote:Fake camera can be set to prevent wazers to set (many new ) fixed camera each time they see something that coud be mistaken to a camera
and they do not display any pop up

I don't think any camera, fake or real, showing on the map, prevents users from adding them. I get clusters of new cameras all around intersections which already have them established.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby arbaot » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:59 am

Fake camera can be set to prevent wazers to set (many new ) fixed camera each time they see something that coud be mistaken to a camera
AM Lorient et Vannes, N24=>Rennes et 76 Ouest , CM France
Waze 3.7.8 sur iPhone5s/iOs706 & iPad1/iOs511

Waze ... dona mihi serenitatem accipere res quae non possum, fortitudinem mutare res quae possum, atque sapientiam differentiam cognoscere
arbaot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby davipt » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:34 am

Kuhlkatz wrote:Orit,

As mentioned in PM before, is it possible to split the text for the camera report menu and the camera dialog?
If the dialog heading initially indicates 'Fixed Cameras' it would likely discourage casual Wazers from reporting every speed trap they see as a fixed camera.

- √√ Right menu, icon x2 y2 and dialogue title (avoid radar, promote câmera)
Camera=Câmera

Won't fit. The text is the same for the icon and the dialogue title, and even if the text is split into two, the dialogue title won't fit "Fixed Camera".

I know the pain of educating the users about what is a camera or not - and I'm lucky that in Portugal there are no fakes nor redlights and a very well known list of 30 official fixed cameras so it's easy to delete all the crap - but recently I've been seeing duplicated camera reports on real places so I'm now more worried that the real cameras are not working than the garbage that appears on the editor... but that is another discussion for other forum ;)
Bruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ | Coordinator and Manager for Portugal | Expert iPhone and others
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:16 pm

Kuhlkatz wrote:
davipt wrote:Won't fit. The text is the same for the icon and the dialogue title, and even if the text is split into two, the dialogue title won't fit "Fixed Camera"

That's the reason for the request. If text like minor accident, police (hidden) and police (visible) can fit into the dialog, then 'Fixed Camera' should also not present a problem.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

Then the whole wording should be revised.

We have three types of things. Or two because the meaning of fakes are still not understood by me.

So two.

They are both cameras
They are both fixed

One is triggered by speed
The other is triggered by crossing a redesign

So indeed
Icon grid "Camera" as today and won't fit more
Dialogue title Fixed Camera
Camera types Speed and Redlight

Fully agree
Bruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ | Coordinator and Manager for Portugal | Expert iPhone and others
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:25 pm

Kuhlkatz wrote:
davipt wrote:We have three types of things. Or two because the meaning of fakes are still not understood by me.

Fakes are typically mounted in the same cases as the 'Speed' and 'Red Light' cameras. The only difference is that the other 2 actually have working components inside.

It's just for the show and to deter speeding, like putting 'Beware of the Dogs' signs on your gates when all you have is 2 miniature dobermans...

And in practice, for waze, the real objective of them is? To show a bothering popup like the redsigns that everybody gets pissed because it hides the map, and on purpose or by mistake clicks on the "not there" to get rid of them and get them unapproved?

I've been trying to get a simple definition of what a camera is for Waze for two years, and the best and shortest is "a fixed camera that will give you an automatic ticket if you cross the law". So if a fake can't take a photo nor give a ticket, it goes against the rules and shouldn't even exist on Waze. There are many other types of cameras that are more relevant and worth to exist than a fake, but they are not allowed. I used to have cameras on speed limiting redsigns (the ones that turn red if you go above a certain speed) because I'd get a vocal warning when on excees speed and would then never ever stop at one of those, but no they are "not approved according to the rules because they don't take photos". So to keep the rules simple, we've stated on the Portuguese rules the phrase above with the addenda "there are legally no redsigns and fakes are irrelevant and there are only 30 or so real cameras".

And now that even standard cameras are not working properly anymore, Waze'd better just disable it and rething the whole thing. :?
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:48 pm

Make sure there is a junction nearby the red light. If it's a crossing it shouldn't ever show the popup if you are less than 50m from the junction, AFAIK. If it's a single segment, add a dummy junction at the red-light. (I know people will kill me for this but "it works for me™")
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:34 am

arbaot wrote:Fake camera can be set to prevent wazers to set (many new ) fixed camera each time they see something that coud be mistaken to a camera

So can I assume that when wazers set new fixed cameras some meters behind (or even after) a real camera that exists and is approved on the editor it means the existing one is no longer working on the client and not popping up or announcing itself? Or people will just report them no matter what? I'm scared of both cases, waze bugs and human stupidity, but I'm seeing those new cameras a lot these days over here.
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Discern between camera & fixed camera

Postby Kuhlkatz » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:20 am

Orit,

As mentioned in PM before, is it possible to split the text for the camera report menu and the camera dialog?
If the dialog heading initially indicates 'Fixed Cameras' it would likely discourage casual Wazers from reporting every speed trap they see as a fixed camera.

Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
Using HTC One, Stock ROM, Android 4.2.2
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing
Kuhlkatz
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby Kuhlkatz » Wed Apr 17, 2013 6:01 pm

davipt wrote:Won't fit. The text is the same for the icon and the dialogue title, and even if the text is split into two, the dialogue title won't fit "Fixed Camera"

That's the reason for the request. If text like minor accident, police (hidden) and police (visible) can fit into the dialog, then 'Fixed Camera' should also not present a problem.

Carel Cornelius
Kuhlkatz
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby Kuhlkatz » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:06 pm

It's not required to change all the wording, just the initial heading.
The fine print already states that it is for reporting Fixed Cameras already, but nobody in his / her right mind will read that part while racing down a Freeway, so most users never see that.

If the initial heading indicates fixed camera, most users will immediately see that, and that might actually stimulate them to use a bit more brainpower to figure out it's not for reporting speed traps.

Carel Cornelius
Kuhlkatz
Beta tester
Beta tester

Next

Return to Localization