[Solved] Translation of "Speed"

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy, orit_y

Re: Translation of "Speed"

Postby davipt » Sun May 12, 2013 1:08 pm

Svenne33 wrote:Well, let me explain. While "hastighet" means the speed of the car, the word "fartkamera" means speed camera. The word "fart" in Swedish means speed too, but we always use "hastighet" when we're talking about velocity. :)

Even in English it makes sense to split the two words.

On the report camera screen, on the camera icon label, even if "speed camera" is redundant on the icon because the "camera" is already on the title, one needs to use "Speed".

But on the wazer screen one may want to say "Velocity: x km/h" instead of being forced to use "Speed: x km/h".
Bruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ | Coordinator and Manager for Portugal | Expert iPhone and others
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Sun May 12, 2013 4:17 pm

edsonajj wrote:
davipt wrote:But on the wazer screen one may want to say "Velocity: x km/h" instead of being forced to use "Speed: x km/h".

The thing is, velocity is speed in a certain direction. As an example: "Mark is driving at 120 km/h towards Lisbon" would be talking about velocity, while "Mark is driving at 120 km/h" is talking abut speed.

I just tried to give an example in English where speed and velocity can be or not used for the same thing, but in other languages they may be completely different, specially in this case where we're talking about the same word to refer to speed, velocity, and speed cameras. Just justifying the OP request for two different translations to support every language that may need it translated differently.
Bruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ | Coordinator and Manager for Portugal | Expert iPhone and others
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby edsonajj » Sat May 11, 2013 11:54 pm

I tried using Google translate to understand the difference between "Fart" and "Hastighet" but to no avail...
I had thought that it might be equivalent to the difference between "speed" and "velocity" but it seems that it's not.
So, could you explain what the difference is?

Also, I do not see the need for the whole "Fartkamera" since the person is already in the camera section so they know the "kamera" part.

I'm conscious that it might be just my lack of knowledge about your language, so do please explain :D
Edson Jiménez
Coordinador de comunidad, México
edsonajj
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Re: Translation of

Postby edsonajj » Sun May 12, 2013 4:58 am

Kuhlkatz wrote:The same text string is being used for both the camera text in report menu and the Wazer stats display.
Some languages might use different words or nuances when applied to the two, which is likely the case here.

That is what I thought, yet I could not find a reason for this difference. It is not that I'm casting doubt over Svenne33's knowledge of his own language; I would just like to know why it is a different use.
Edson Jiménez
edsonajj
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby edsonajj » Sun May 12, 2013 4:14 pm

davipt wrote:But on the wazer screen one may want to say "Velocity: x km/h" instead of being forced to use "Speed: x km/h".

The thing is, velocity is speed in a certain direction. As an example: "Mark is driving at 120 km/h towards Lisbon" would be talking about velocity, while "Mark is driving at 120 km/h" is talking abut speed.
Edson Jiménez
edsonajj
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby foxitrot » Fri May 17, 2013 9:26 pm

The word "Speed" is just one example. But actually each dialog window should use its own set of translations for all words/phrases appearing there. The devs should realize, as mentioned, that various languages may use totally different translations for one source phrase in other contexts and it is not foreseeable for the devs, whether one particular source string might be used unmodified on different places (except a string is intended to be kept identical).

If the devs do not intend to turn the translator's life into hell... OK, not even let him tear off his hair... :wink: then please avoid using one translated string on different places. Let the translator, with help of the translation memory, to handle the similarities. He knows his language better and will be even able to handle the issues with insufficient horizontal space in some of the dialogs.
...with the good old crashing :roll: Symbian 2.1.99.114 (N-E52), while
trying to get used to the good new crashing Android 3.7.xx.yyy (SG-A2 JealousBin).
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Kuhlkatz » Sun May 12, 2013 1:03 am

The same text string is being used for both the camera text in report menu and the Wazer stats display.
Some languages might use different words or nuances when applied to the two, which is likely the case here.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
Using HTC One, Stock ROM, Android 4.2.2
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing
Kuhlkatz
Beta tester
Beta tester

Postby orbitc » Fri May 17, 2013 9:41 pm

If I'm right we are talking about, re-using certain words. Which is a problem for Turkish as well. It's hard to find a word that would work on both places:
For Example: Major Highway= Ana yol, "Major" = Ana
but it also used somewhere else that doesn't make sense at all.

So, I would prefer each word used once but, I also understand the difficulty of rewriting and separating them.
Regional Coordinator for Northeast (DE, NJ, NY, PA) & New England (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, VT)
CM: U.S.A. & T.C.
• ßeta Tester
• AT&T | iOS 7.0.4 | Waze v3.7.9.914

WME | Mentoring | AM | USA
orbitc
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Re: Translation of

Postby orit_y » Wed May 22, 2013 12:13 pm

Watt25 wrote:I told the HQ this about 1 or 2 YEARS(!) ago. I didn't get any answer about this. Looks like they can not understand this problem...

This is a very complicate situation that we are working to improve.
I know it's just a start but I've change the string on the display string to "Speed:" (with colon) so you can enter a different translation.

It will be great if we can collect all the problematic string so we can try and resolve them.

Thank you for your dedication and great great help !

Best,
Orit
orit_y
Waze Team
Waze Team

[Solved] Translation of "Speed"

Postby Svenne33 » Thu May 09, 2013 1:12 pm

The translation of the word "Speed" is the same on both of the following screenshots.
I need to translate the word to "Fartkamera" in the picture named 2013-05-09 15.01.44.png and keep "Hastighet" on the other one (2013-05-09 15.05.46.png).

// Svenne
Attachments
2013-05-09 15.05.46.png
Hastighet
2013-05-09 15.05.46.png (193.03 KiB) Viewed 2499 times
2013-05-09 15.01.44.png
Fartkamera
2013-05-09 15.01.44.png (248.36 KiB) Viewed 2495 times
Localization Expert for the Swedish Translation of Waze.
Svenne33

Next

Return to Localization