[Solved] Translation of "Speed"

Post by petruslundberg96
The translation of the word "Speed" is the same on both of the following screenshots.
I need to translate the word to "Fartkamera" in the picture named 2013-05-09 15.01.44.png and keep "Hastighet" on the other one (2013-05-09 15.05.46.png).

// Svenne
petruslundberg96
Localizers
Localizers

POSTER_ID:10419787

Send a message
Attachments
Localization Expert for the Swedish Translation of Waze

Post by edsonajj
I tried using Google translate to understand the difference between "Fart" and "Hastighet" but to no avail...
I had thought that it might be equivalent to the difference between "speed" and "velocity" but it seems that it's not.
So, could you explain what the difference is?

Also, I do not see the need for the whole "Fartkamera" since the person is already in the camera section so they know the "kamera" part.

I'm conscious that it might be just my lack of knowledge about your language, so do please explain :D
edsonajj
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Edson Jiménez

Post by edsonajj
Kuhlkatz wrote:The same text string is being used for both the camera text in report menu and the Wazer stats display.
Some languages might use different words or nuances when applied to the two, which is likely the case here.
That is what I thought, yet I could not find a reason for this difference. It is not that I'm casting doubt over Svenne33's knowledge of his own language; I would just like to know why it is a different use.
edsonajj
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Edson Jiménez

Post by edsonajj
davipt wrote:But on the wazer screen one may want to say "Velocity: x km/h" instead of being forced to use "Speed: x km/h".
The thing is, velocity is speed in a certain direction. As an example: "Mark is driving at 120 km/h towards Lisbon" would be talking about velocity, while "Mark is driving at 120 km/h" is talking abut speed.
edsonajj
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Edson Jiménez

Post by foxitrot
The word "Speed" is just one example. But actually each dialog window should use its own set of translations for all words/phrases appearing there. The devs should realize, as mentioned, that various languages may use totally different translations for one source phrase in other contexts and it is not foreseeable for the devs, whether one particular source string might be used unmodified on different places (except a string is intended to be kept identical).

If the devs do not intend to turn the translator's life into hell... OK, not even let him tear off his hair... :wink: then please avoid using one translated string on different places. Let the translator, with help of the translation memory, to handle the similarities. He knows his language better and will be even able to handle the issues with insufficient horizontal space in some of the dialogs.
foxitrot
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
...with the good old crashing :roll: Symbian 2.1.99.114 (on N-E52), while
trying to get used to the good new asocial Android 4.xx.0.yyy (on OP-X March-me-Low).

Post by Kuhlkatz
The same text string is being used for both the camera text in report menu and the Wazer stats display.
Some languages might use different words or nuances when applied to the two, which is likely the case here.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
Kuhlkatz
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Carel Cornelius
AM : Centurion & Sandton, ZA
CM & Coordinator, South Africa
(HTC One, Android 5.0.2, v7.19.401.51)
[img]https:///DwNb3R[/img]
South African Wiki Waze Wiki Map Editing

Post by orbitc
If I'm right we are talking about, re-using certain words. Which is a problem for Turkish as well. It's hard to find a word that would work on both places:
For Example: Major Highway= Ana yol, "Major" = Ana
but it also used somewhere else that doesn't make sense at all.

So, I would prefer each word used once but, I also understand the difficulty of rewriting and separating them.
orbitc
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Regional Coordinator for Northeast & New England
•Tier1 •USA Coordinator •Global Champ & Mentor
•iOS & WME ßeta Tester •Beacon, CCP & Wiki Master
•Master Raiders •Localization •Content Raider

USA | MapRaid!

Post by orit_y
Watt25 wrote: I told the HQ this about 1 or 2 YEARS(!) ago. I didn't get any answer about this. Looks like they can not understand this problem...
This is a very complicate situation that we are working to improve.
I know it's just a start but I've change the string on the display string to "Speed:" (with colon) so you can enter a different translation.

It will be great if we can collect all the problematic string so we can try and resolve them.

Thank you for your dedication and great great help !

Best,
Orit
orit_y
Send a message

Post by petruslundberg96
Well, let me explain. While "hastighet" means the speed of the car, the word "fartkamera" means speed camera. The word "fart" in Swedish means speed too, but we always use "hastighet" when we're talking about velocity. :)
petruslundberg96
Localizers
Localizers
Send a message
Localization Expert for the Swedish Translation of Waze

Post by Watt25
foxitrot wrote:The word "Speed" is just one example. But actually each dialog window should use its own set of translations for all words/phrases appearing there. The devs should realize, as mentioned, that various languages may use totally different translations for one source phrase in other contexts and it is not foreseeable for the devs, whether one particular source string might be used unmodified on different places (except a string is intended to be kept identical).

If the devs do not intend to turn the translator's life into hell... OK, not even let him tear off his hair... :wink: then please avoid using one translated string on different places. Let the translator, with help of the translation memory, to handle the similarities. He knows his language better and will be even able to handle the issues with insufficient horizontal space in some of the dialogs.
I told the HQ this about 1 or 2 YEARS(!) ago. I didn't get any answer about this. Looks like they can not understand this problem...
Watt25
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Samsung Galaxy SIII LTE - Android 4.4
Area Manager: Érd - Martonvásár - Dunaújváros háromszögben
Ford Mondeo MK2 Tournier