Alternate street names for TTS, zip codes, abbreviations etc

Moderators: Unholy, orit_y

Re: Alternate street names for TTS, zip codes, abbreviations

Postby davipt » Tue May 28, 2013 9:51 am

berestovskyy wrote:
argus-cronos wrote:We suffering and complaining also since years, but waze is about to improve the search. We will see.

Will this improved search help me to find a city named "City (county)" on the map if I search for "City, province" in the App?

Will this search give me more that 10 results, because we have ~15 "Rudniks" in Poland?

Since I can't even read your closed forums, can I ask you to ask Waze that it will? ;)

Thanks in advance!

You're not missing anything relevant on the closed forums :(

If you search for Rudnik you should get all 15, sorted by distance. Will you know which one is which if they all say Rudnik, like the gas stations say only the brand and not the name today? probably yes.

The problem is that every country has too many divisions and names for the divisions. As you said, do you search by county or province or something smaller? I've been thinking about that here in Portugal and I have no clear answer myself.
Hence why I'm pushing for a clear separation between the feature of states/regions on waze, just to let us have city names without any suffix, and have this completely separated from the additional potential metadata for each segment, which honestly at the moment I'm tending to keep it simple and maybe go the postal code way, but then again I have no perfect solution for all this besides asking waze to be smart on the search (good algorithm for soundex, abbreviation aware, etc.) and, obviously, return stuff ordered by distance and avoid the current state where we get results thousands of km away and not the ones nearby.
ImageBruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ
Coordinator for Portugal | Expert iPhone and others
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby no1ne » Tue May 28, 2013 10:42 am

To enhance it's search engine, Waze dev team ask each country administrator to defin how people are looking for addresses and how those are set.
Now they are compiling all that so different way of doing so...
no1ne
Global Champs Localizers
Global Champs Localizers

Postby berestovskyy » Tue May 28, 2013 11:09 am

davipt wrote:I'll repeat myself again. Go to maps.bing.com,

I'll repeat myself too then :lol: We have neither Bing nor Google search available here in Poland. Neither for cities nor for house numbers :( Just internal Waze search and Foursquare.

davipt wrote:If you search for Rudnik you should get all 15, sorted by distance.

Now I'm getting just 10, sorted irrelevant to the distance or even country. So searching for "Rudnik", for instance, I always get at the top "Rudnik, Serbia"/658 km away.

I've posted some screenshots here (forum topic Searching for Non-unique City Names in Poalnd).

Thanks!
berestovskyy

Postby dmrzoom » Wed May 29, 2013 3:44 am

NYC would be a great place to test time-restricted turns. I've seen a few errors reported from users directed to make illegal turns. That's a "last tiem user-experience" waiting to happen.
dmrzoom

Postby edsonajj » Wed May 29, 2013 3:49 am

davidmrohde wrote:NYC would be a great place to test time-restricted turns. I've seen a few errors reported from users directed to make illegal turns. That's a "last tiem user-experience" waiting to happen.

That's why the rule is to have them as not allowed, it's preferable to give a sub-optimal route than to direct the user to do illegal turns.
Image Edson Jiménez

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
edsonajj
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby Dekis » Wed May 29, 2013 6:59 am

davipt wrote:We really need to be smart and completely separate the issue of using bing and bing search sucking in most countries, from the whole challenge of using waze as internal search and how to set up our data so the search is the best possible.

And Waze search should be localized even when showing search results.
Dekis

Previous

Return to Localization