Alternate street names for TTS, zip codes, abbreviations etc

Moderators: Unholy, orit_y

Re: Alternate street names for TTS, zip codes, abbreviations

Postby berestovskyy » Tue May 28, 2013 8:19 am

argus-cronos wrote:What you have to do depends on your community, and your country guidelines.

Here in Poland we name non-unique cities as "City (province)" or "City (county)" or "City (commune)" (just like on Wikipedia). But it's not a problem to name a city. The problem is to find a city.

When you run a search for "City" in Waze App, instead of getting a list of those "City (provice)", "City (county)" etc. you get just "City", but 650 km away in another country, for instance.

I should start a separate topic about that. We have no local champs and we suffering and complaining for years about this problem. But now it's clear to me that most of you guys don't even aware about it...

Thanks for the idea though! I'll give it a try to put just "City" in alt city field, so maybe it will help with the search ;)
berestovskyy

Postby davipt » Tue May 28, 2013 8:03 am

davipt wrote:
petervdveen wrote:The U-turns function should work

I have enabled U-Turns in certain places where I always do a U-turn. The client keeps sending me somewhere else to turn back. So no, U-turns don't work on the client.

U-Turns seems to be working since 3.6.99.12 I think. :)

davipt wrote:
petervdveen wrote:We have 12 provinces in the netherlands, but for navigating I don't see why I would need them.

Exactly. But they were enabled in Canada. And I'm afraid one day they get enabled in Europe, and people will start using the field for what it's not meant for. Just want us all to agree that State is something US only that should have never been exposed to other countries to avoid confusion.

argus-cronos wrote:Actually in Germany or Switzerland the state field in its current state is completely useless. A field which is editable is needed in Germany and it should be found via client search. In Switzerland we need nothing additional, cause naming scheme is pretty clear and functional. For Thailand it would make a lot of sense cause there are provinces - districts - subdistricts - cities - khets(quarters in BKK) - villages and very small vilages.

Waze btw gives altnames as search results.

And here's the proof that everything that can be abused will be abused. As I stated above, albeit states are quite clear in the US, will me misused in the rest of the world, as argus-cronos is showing here. Germany has 16 clearly defined "states". States should be enabled only to allow duplicate city names in the DB. States should be called something else outside US to avoid this confusion. States in waze is not the same as *any* division of region and sub-region and province and whatever else smaller.

Also, I keep hearing that "waze gives bla search results". I haven't seen that yet, but maybe it's country specific. The way I test it is to search on waze and bing at the same time and compare the results - always the exact same results in my experiences. Anyone with a different experience? (besides US)
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby argus-cronos » Tue May 28, 2013 7:32 am

What you have to do depends on your community, and your country guidelines. Where you from?

What i meant: i've tested this with quarter names in CH and those local quarters will be found on the search, also alt streetnames with only numbers or anything local in it.
argus-cronos

Postby berestovskyy » Tue May 28, 2013 6:04 am

argus-cronos wrote:Waze btw gives altnames as search results.

Do you mean we have to put "City (province)" into city field and then just "City" into an alt. city field to get this city found?
berestovskyy

Postby argus-cronos » Tue May 28, 2013 3:43 am

Actually in Germany or Switzerland the state field in its current state is completely useless. A field which is editable is needed in Germany and it should be found via client search. In Switzerland we need nothing additional, cause naming scheme is pretty clear and functional. For Thailand it would make a lot of sense cause there are provinces - districts - subdistricts - cities - khets(quarters in BKK) - villages and very small vilages.

Waze btw gives altnames as search results.
argus-cronos

Postby no1ne » Sat May 25, 2013 6:25 pm

you can set what ever you want in the alt name boxes

as long as waze app is not set to read and use it
it's as usefull as blowing against the wind ...

you'd better promote user voice and make wazer vote to request (in number) what they want the app to be

PS i wonder to know how that kind of discussionis related to Localization...
no1ne
Global Champs Localizers
Global Champs Localizers

Postby berestovskyy » Mon May 20, 2013 10:30 am

Thanks for your answers and here is my summary:
  1. To adjust some of non-common segment properties, we suggest to implement Key-Value pairs. We have no intention to use these properties for the vast majority or the roads.
  2. These Key-Values available for 3+ or 5+ cones editors only.
  3. Waze can implement it in a way they like:
    • as a separate Key-Value systems, just like Alternate names;
    • adding a Key to existing Alternate Names, so they would become "Key, Alt City (Value 1), Alt Street (Value 2)";
    • using existing Alt City as a Key and Alt Street as a Value or vice-versa;
    • as separate fields in WME, available for 3+ or 5+ cones editors only;
    • or any other way (it is not really important).
  4. The most controversial part: how could we benefit from these properties? Here are the most reasonable applications at the moment IMHO:
    1. To correct TTS pronunciation, using, for instance, Nuance phoneme set (Nuance Grammar Developer's Guide (PDF), page 85). So, if the property is attached to a road segment, Waze App use it to pronounce the street name.
    2. To put shields on the map (Waze is about to implement this, so details are subject to further discussion).
    3. To handle planned road closures (i.e., closed-until) and time-restricted turns (Waze is about to implement this, so details are subject to further discussion).
We also assume that:
  1. Alt streets will be available for search, so we don't need a "short name" property.
  2. Waze (or someone else) to suggest better idea to localize map data.
  3. Waze to implement zip codes/administrative divisions in (some) countries as separate fields in address block.
berestovskyy

Postby PhantomSoul » Mon May 20, 2013 4:31 am

If city names repeat it makes sense then.
PhantomSoul
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby davipt » Sun May 19, 2013 7:33 pm

PhantomSoul wrote:States/Provinces or other regional subdivisions are probably more practical in larger countries like the United States, Canada, Australia, perhaps the 4 parts of the United Kingdom, or maybe even Brazil or China. But for smaller countries, like in Europe, where most are the size of what would be considered a state or province in a larger country, I'm not sure a "state" subdivision makes much sense.

I'm changing my mind after being reminded that having regions could solve the city duplication. Even in a small country like Portugal, having the states enabled (18 regions) would solve all my city duplications where, anyway, I've been using "city name (region)". Then it's just a question of translating "state" correctly in the new editor translation.
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby PhantomSoul » Sun May 19, 2013 5:23 pm

States/Provinces or other regional subdivisions are probably more practical in larger countries like the United States, Canada, Australia, perhaps the 4 parts of the United Kingdom, or maybe even Brazil or China. But for smaller countries, like in Europe, where most are the size of what would be considered a state or province in a larger country, I'm not sure a "state" subdivision makes much sense.
PhantomSoul
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Localization