Alternate street names for TTS, zip codes, abbreviations etc

Moderators: Unholy, orit_y

Re: Alternate street names for TTS, zip codes, abbreviations

Postby berestovskyy » Tue May 28, 2013 9:15 am

argus-cronos wrote:We suffering and complaining also since years, but waze is about to improve the search. We will see.

Will this improved search help me to find a city named "City (county)" on the map if I search for "City, province" in the App?

Will this search give me more that 10 results, because we have ~15 "Rudniks" in Poland?

Since I can't even read your closed forums, can I ask you to ask Waze that it will? ;)

Thanks in advance!
berestovskyy
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby berestovskyy » Tue May 28, 2013 11:09 am

davipt wrote:I'll repeat myself again. Go to maps.bing.com,

I'll repeat myself too then :lol: We have neither Bing nor Google search available here in Poland. Neither for cities nor for house numbers :( Just internal Waze search and Foursquare.

davipt wrote:If you search for Rudnik you should get all 15, sorted by distance.

Now I'm getting just 10, sorted irrelevant to the distance or even country. So searching for "Rudnik", for instance, I always get at the top "Rudnik, Serbia"/658 km away.

I've posted some screenshots here (forum topic Searching for Non-unique City Names in Poalnd).

Thanks!
berestovskyy
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby davipt » Tue May 14, 2013 9:58 am

Fully +1.

I'd add yet another tag for the "shields" to allow setting up the letter+number street number independently of the possible proper name when a street crosses a locality.

I'm sure it's pretty similar in most countries, but as an example in Portugal we have (N)ational roads and (M)unicipal roads called N-123 (or even N-123-3), but usually when it crosses a locality there's also a "Street xyz" or "Avenue zyx". Right now I'm using "Street xyz / N123", but it would be nice to put the "Street xyz" into the street field and the N123 into the "shield" tag and then have the shields (a simple square with a specific color per letter in most european countries) appear automatically.

Update: didn't read carefully the OP. I'm +1 for Waze supported tags and proper behavior of alt names for dedicated things, but I would never suggest starting right now abusing the current alt feature with those hashtags on the city name.
ImageBruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ
Coordinator for Portugal | Expert iPhone and others
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Wed May 15, 2013 1:57 pm

berestovskyy wrote:
davipt wrote:Of course ideally should not be an abuse of the alt-city with freeform hashes, but a proper key-val alt-street (and even alt-city variations), but I do still hope it is a map with free values.

We agreed that we're talking about "Key-Values just like Alt street names", ok?

My point is just about either start using the current state and use the alt-city to put the hash vs. ask for a minimum development to add a new freeform field to enable alt-street = value + optional hash and, while at it, alt-city = value + optional hash.

berestovskyy wrote:Sure, we can wait for Waze to start supporting some feature, then wait while they fix it, then start to add it to the map, then wait for a decision to activate it in your country... For instance, neither of recent features like gas prices, house numbers, U-turns... neither is working here in Poland. We can't even use "state" fields in an address :(

Here you have a huge point. There are already so many cases of half-backed features that one more can't hurt. And if we, the community, stick to a format and start populating the data massively, waze can only see it as a strong push to get the feature completed and start consuming that data.
PS: house numbers and U-turns you are right, but gas prices it's all into your hands to get it enabled ;)

I'd rather like this approach than the ones I'm seeing at the moment, or in the past, where the community is asked for the opinion of a feature, in general, then waze goes back to the basement, implements something half-backed, launches it, and when we try to use it things don't work as expected.

There are plenty of cases on your examples that I think it's a big stretch and may even be abusing - closures, time based roads, etc, but all other cases about literal alternative-street-names I'm fully on board, namely the TTS override per voice/language, the street name per locale, the long/short alternative and the road shields name, including multiple shields and free form names - recall some of my streets are named N249-3, this can't fit a byte.
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Wed May 15, 2013 3:06 pm

petervdveen wrote:About the features not working in Poland.
The U-turns function should work.

Don't work at all in Portugal.

petervdveen wrote:The Housenumbers should work.

Not working in Portugal. Search doesn't even use the internal street names, much less the house numbers.

petervdveen wrote:The gas stations function can be enabled when there is enough data inserted.

Correct :D

petervdveen wrote:The state function is being worked on, but for a lot of european countries that's not necessary.

The state is gonna be yet another feature that will be designed for a set of countries and have no meaning for the rest of the world. What is a state in most countries? Usually the country has administrative regions and sub-regions and sub-sub-regions, whatever they are called locally, but in the end are they even relevant? Poland has no states, has 16 Voivodeships, like Germany has 16 Länder, Portugal has 18 distritos, all of each sub-divided into municipalities or similar, and those sub-sub-divided into smaller things. All of them are irrelevant for Waze, all of them have different names, and where one draws the line, at one division, or 4 like Portugal? Maybe one day there will be the country of Europe and the states of Poland, Portugal and Germany.
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Wed May 15, 2013 3:20 pm

petervdveen wrote:
davipt wrote:
petervdveen wrote:The U-turns function should work

Don't work at all in Portugal.

You cannot set U-turns?
You don't see the U-turn icon?

I have enabled U-Turns in certain places where I always do a U-turn. The client keeps sending me somewhere else to turn back. So no, U-turns don't work on the client.

petervdveen wrote:The Housenumbers should work.

Not working in Portugal. Search doesn't even use the internal street names, much less the house numbers.

Of course. The bing database is used. What do you suspect.
As stated lots of times before. This is just for data gathering till the moment the Waze DB will be used as primary data source.

These two cases are proof that there is already a tendency to allow editors to populate information even way before the information is used somewhere. Hence the idea of using the alt-street to start adding alternative street names, just with the caveat of tagging what type of alternative it is. I don't think anyone can say at all this is incorrect or unrelated usage. The only question, as I stated multiple times, is how to add the tag, if we wait for the field from waze, or if we abuse the alt-city in the meantime. I'd prefer the former.

petervdveen wrote:We have 12 provinces in the netherlands, but for navigating I don't see why I would need them.

Exactly. But they were enabled in Canada. And I'm afraid one day they get enabled in Europe, and people will start using the field for what it's not meant for. Just want us all to agree that State is something US only that should have never been exposed to other countries to avoid confusion.
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Wed May 15, 2013 4:25 pm

Ok I shouldn't have used the "never", but won't you agreed the cause confusion? Are three states in Canada? Ok now with the editor translations they can rename it provinces or regions or whatever it's called there but I still recall when the dashboard was showing state instead of country on the intl and people was quite confused with it.

Sent from my iTapatalk
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Thu May 16, 2013 8:20 am

dmcconachie wrote:
petervdveen wrote:Ofcourse we can add state data for all countries.
The Netherlands has 12 provinces, but what benefit would it have to add this info?

Improvements to search and avoidance of duplicate town/city names. We've asked for this feature in the UK for 3 years!

I understand now these two reasons as a valid argument to enable "regions/states" in a country, specially the second one as I'm already being forced to use "locality name (region name)" to distinguish them when there is a collision (a lot on small villages). Thanks you.
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Sun May 19, 2013 7:33 pm

PhantomSoul wrote:States/Provinces or other regional subdivisions are probably more practical in larger countries like the United States, Canada, Australia, perhaps the 4 parts of the United Kingdom, or maybe even Brazil or China. But for smaller countries, like in Europe, where most are the size of what would be considered a state or province in a larger country, I'm not sure a "state" subdivision makes much sense.

I'm changing my mind after being reminded that having regions could solve the city duplication. Even in a small country like Portugal, having the states enabled (18 regions) would solve all my city duplications where, anyway, I've been using "city name (region)". Then it's just a question of translating "state" correctly in the new editor translation.
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Postby davipt » Tue May 28, 2013 8:03 am

davipt wrote:
petervdveen wrote:The U-turns function should work

I have enabled U-Turns in certain places where I always do a U-turn. The client keeps sending me somewhere else to turn back. So no, U-turns don't work on the client.

U-Turns seems to be working since 3.6.99.12 I think. :)

davipt wrote:
petervdveen wrote:We have 12 provinces in the netherlands, but for navigating I don't see why I would need them.

Exactly. But they were enabled in Canada. And I'm afraid one day they get enabled in Europe, and people will start using the field for what it's not meant for. Just want us all to agree that State is something US only that should have never been exposed to other countries to avoid confusion.

argus-cronos wrote:Actually in Germany or Switzerland the state field in its current state is completely useless. A field which is editable is needed in Germany and it should be found via client search. In Switzerland we need nothing additional, cause naming scheme is pretty clear and functional. For Thailand it would make a lot of sense cause there are provinces - districts - subdistricts - cities - khets(quarters in BKK) - villages and very small vilages.

Waze btw gives altnames as search results.

And here's the proof that everything that can be abused will be abused. As I stated above, albeit states are quite clear in the US, will me misused in the rest of the world, as argus-cronos is showing here. Germany has 16 clearly defined "states". States should be enabled only to allow duplicate city names in the DB. States should be called something else outside US to avoid this confusion. States in waze is not the same as *any* division of region and sub-region and province and whatever else smaller.

Also, I keep hearing that "waze gives bla search results". I haven't seen that yet, but maybe it's country specific. The way I test it is to search on waze and bing at the same time and compare the results - always the exact same results in my experiences. Anyone with a different experience? (besides US)
davipt
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Localization