Alternate street names for TTS, zip codes, abbreviations etc

Moderators: Unholy, orit_y

Re: Alternate street names for TTS, zip codes, abbreviations

Postby no1ne » Sat May 25, 2013 6:25 pm

you can set what ever you want in the alt name boxes

as long as waze app is not set to read and use it
it's as usefull as blowing against the wind ...

you'd better promote user voice and make wazer vote to request (in number) what they want the app to be

PS i wonder to know how that kind of discussionis related to Localization...
Localize Waze

Vous voulez adaptez Waze dans une langue non supportée contactez moi
no1ne
Global Champs Localizers
Global Champs Localizers

Postby argus-cronos » Tue May 28, 2013 3:43 am

Actually in Germany or Switzerland the state field in its current state is completely useless. A field which is editable is needed in Germany and it should be found via client search. In Switzerland we need nothing additional, cause naming scheme is pretty clear and functional. For Thailand it would make a lot of sense cause there are provinces - districts - subdistricts - cities - khets(quarters in BKK) - villages and very small vilages.

Waze btw gives altnames as search results.
argus-cronos
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby berestovskyy » Tue May 28, 2013 6:04 am

argus-cronos wrote:Waze btw gives altnames as search results.

Do you mean we have to put "City (province)" into city field and then just "City" into an alt. city field to get this city found?
berestovskyy

Postby argus-cronos » Tue May 28, 2013 7:32 am

What you have to do depends on your community, and your country guidelines. Where you from?

What i meant: i've tested this with quarter names in CH and those local quarters will be found on the search, also alt streetnames with only numbers or anything local in it.
argus-cronos
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby davipt » Tue May 28, 2013 8:03 am

davipt wrote:
petervdveen wrote:The U-turns function should work

I have enabled U-Turns in certain places where I always do a U-turn. The client keeps sending me somewhere else to turn back. So no, U-turns don't work on the client.

U-Turns seems to be working since 3.6.99.12 I think. :)

davipt wrote:
petervdveen wrote:We have 12 provinces in the netherlands, but for navigating I don't see why I would need them.

Exactly. But they were enabled in Canada. And I'm afraid one day they get enabled in Europe, and people will start using the field for what it's not meant for. Just want us all to agree that State is something US only that should have never been exposed to other countries to avoid confusion.

argus-cronos wrote:Actually in Germany or Switzerland the state field in its current state is completely useless. A field which is editable is needed in Germany and it should be found via client search. In Switzerland we need nothing additional, cause naming scheme is pretty clear and functional. For Thailand it would make a lot of sense cause there are provinces - districts - subdistricts - cities - khets(quarters in BKK) - villages and very small vilages.

Waze btw gives altnames as search results.

And here's the proof that everything that can be abused will be abused. As I stated above, albeit states are quite clear in the US, will me misused in the rest of the world, as argus-cronos is showing here. Germany has 16 clearly defined "states". States should be enabled only to allow duplicate city names in the DB. States should be called something else outside US to avoid this confusion. States in waze is not the same as *any* division of region and sub-region and province and whatever else smaller.

Also, I keep hearing that "waze gives bla search results". I haven't seen that yet, but maybe it's country specific. The way I test it is to search on waze and bing at the same time and compare the results - always the exact same results in my experiences. Anyone with a different experience? (besides US)
Bruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ & Coordinator for Portugal | iPhone Beta
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby berestovskyy » Tue May 28, 2013 8:19 am

argus-cronos wrote:What you have to do depends on your community, and your country guidelines.

Here in Poland we name non-unique cities as "City (province)" or "City (county)" or "City (commune)" (just like on Wikipedia). But it's not a problem to name a city. The problem is to find a city.

When you run a search for "City" in Waze App, instead of getting a list of those "City (provice)", "City (county)" etc. you get just "City", but 650 km away in another country, for instance.

I should start a separate topic about that. We have no local champs and we suffering and complaining for years about this problem. But now it's clear to me that most of you guys don't even aware about it...

Thanks for the idea though! I'll give it a try to put just "City" in alt city field, so maybe it will help with the search ;)
berestovskyy

Postby omba_de » Tue May 28, 2013 8:31 am

The search-function isn't only bad in Poland...
It's bad in Germany too.
Austria is much better.
The problem in Germany seems to be, that waze uses bing for results. (I don't know why, but I think Austria uses waze-search only...
I've tried several searches in Germany and Austria. And the search results in Austria were much much more better than the same ones in Germany.
Probleme mit i-Gerät und Waze? Bitte melden. Als iOS-expert kann ich dir vielleicht weiter helfen!

AT-Wiki
Wie Waze Routen Kalkuliert
omba_de
Global Champs Localizers
Global Champs Localizers

Postby argus-cronos » Tue May 28, 2013 8:48 am

Well in Germany it called "Bundesland" in CH it is "Kanton" but the use of these in a statefield is completely nonsense and brings us nothing. Yes Bing search is absolutely crap in Germany, cause anything will be found in english "Cologne" instead of "Köln" if you search for a road that is double in the city, you get results kilometers away, this sucks. And Bing invented names that doesn't actually exists.
The City name itself isn't the problem, but we name municipalities and if there are double streetnames in different parts of the municipality you never get a correct result.

@berestovskyy
We suffering and complaining also since years, but waze is about to improve the search. We will see.
argus-cronos
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby berestovskyy » Tue May 28, 2013 9:15 am

argus-cronos wrote:We suffering and complaining also since years, but waze is about to improve the search. We will see.

Will this improved search help me to find a city named "City (county)" on the map if I search for "City, province" in the App?

Will this search give me more that 10 results, because we have ~15 "Rudniks" in Poland?

Since I can't even read your closed forums, can I ask you to ask Waze that it will? ;)

Thanks in advance!
berestovskyy

Postby davipt » Tue May 28, 2013 9:38 am

berestovskyy wrote:Here in Poland we name non-unique cities as "City (province)" or "City (county)" or "City (commune)" (just like on Wikipedia). But it's not a problem to name a city. The problem is to find a city.

When you run a search for "City" in Waze App, instead of getting a list of those "City (provice)", "City (county)" etc. you get just "City", but 650 km away in another country, for instance.

I should start a separate topic about that. We have no local champs and we suffering and complaining for years about this problem. But now it's clear to me that most of you guys don't even aware about it...

Thanks for the idea though! I'll give it a try to put just "City" in alt city field, so maybe it will help with the search ;)

I'll repeat myself again. Go to maps.bing.com, locate youself around the same place as waze, and repeat the exact same query. If the results are exactly the same, then waze is using exclusively bing for search.

We really need to be smart and completely separate the issue of using bing and bing search sucking in most countries, from the whole challenge of using waze as internal search and how to set up our data so the search is the best possible.
Bruno D. Rodrigues | Global Champ & Coordinator for Portugal | iPhone Beta
Forum PT | Wiki PT | Facebook PT | Twitter PT
davipt
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

PreviousNext

Return to Localization