Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by SteveSnail
Bump

Is there any update on when this is going to be fixed?

'Close' has been being pronounced incorrectly as 'Clos' for ages now...
SteveSnail
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 3
Send a message

Post by SteveSnail
abigaile wrote:Hi everyone

Yesterday, Google TTS responded to my bug regarding this and said they won't be able to fix it. They explained that the way the system is set means the word "to" will always trigger the verb pronunciation of close.

Currently our abbreviation for Cl is klos which sounds bad.
In my opinion the abbreviation we used before "klohwss" sounds a bit better.

I've been trying to find other ways to spell "close" to get the correct pronunciation but nothing worked. But I have another idea. When I checked "Malham Close turn right into Close" it sounded much better.

I can create an abbreviation that will look for "to/onto Cl" and turn it to "into Close"
Here's a recording of how it would sound:

What do you think?
Well, it certainly pronounces 'Close' better for me, but I'll wait for some AMs/CMs to come along and comment :-)
SteveSnail
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 3
Send a message

Post by Timbones
abigaile wrote:I can create an abbreviation that will look for "to/onto Cl" and turn it to "into Close"
That does indeed sound much better, and also fits well when the Close is a cul-de-sac. Please make it so!

Question: I can understand why Google might have a special treatment of words after "to", but why doesn't "onto" have the same effect as "into"?
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 2
Send a message
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Closure Monitor
Scripts: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries

Post by TonyWaltonMeow
Dave2084 wrote:So ... this went live today, but seems to have broken TTS completely (every street gets to have 'Close' in it!).

I've asked Abigail to revert it!
Phew! I thought I was hearing things for a while. :shock: "Take the second exit to close Finkle Hill". "In 1000 feet, turn right onto close A19"... Thanks for fixing!
TonyWaltonMeow
Send a message

Post by Zirland
Just curious question from someone who is not native in English...
What is the pronunciation difference between Close {not open} and Close {not far}??

Odesláno z mého A511 pomocí Tapatalk
Zirland
Send a message
"The Wazebrity"