Switch to full style
Post a reply

Re: "Other search engines" first two icons question

Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:33 pm

TNT1001 wrote:Again, I'm just looking to understand the difference between the two icons, and why that first one is even available.

This is how it should be:
  • The leftmost icon, the Wazer, is results only from the Waze internal Place database.
  • The first icon in from the left, the marker pin, is supposed to be a mixed collection of:
    1. Google locations (only in google, not in Waze)
    2. Waze locations (only in Waze, not in google)
    3. Waze locations which have replaced a Google location which the back-end has matched to a Waze location.
  • The Google icon further to the right should be Google-only matches.
Various abilities of the search code/engines and ability of Waze to match a place from Google in Waze may make the results seem a bit wonky at times. Punctuation is one which tends to cause issues.

Wed Mar 11, 2015 3:49 pm

Wish I could, I don't understand how the results are selected either.

We seem to have "mixed search." But the issue here is that all these entries (or at least most of them) are mapped in WME. So why the "waze" results don't show the closer options, I can't explain.

Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:34 pm

But the second two on the "pin" list are "The Home Depot" and "Home Depot" and don't show on the "waze" tab. What wild card searching is required to find these entries?

Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:50 pm

Argeed, that waze should make its own good data show first.

However, what you don't say is what exactly you searched for. I presume that your search term does not include the "!".

Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:54 pm

That sounds better.

It is difficult pinning this stuff down. Waze doesn't tell us too much. It does change from time to time. There are enough variables effect the search results that it can be difficult to know what will happen.

Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:25 pm

My guess is that the Waze search does not use any wild card searching; e.g. searches for brackets, apostrophe, dash, etc; but searches only the points having the exact words. On the other hand, the "mixed search", like Google has a better search engine and can thus generate far better results.

Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:02 am

The first icon (the waze icon) is the internal waze search. The second icon are Google search related results.

It seems like in your area the Home Depot isn't that good mapped within waze. Means: if no volunteer map editor has added the places, they can't be found within the waze-search.

Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:26 pm

Yes. Exactly.
Well in that case... Since I'm an editor from Europe, and we have the "mixed search", I thought that US has the same.
Propably there're differences.
So an editor from the states can reply better regarding that issue..
Sorry.

"Other search engines" first two icons question

Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:36 am

I'm a rather new user, and I'm trying to understand the difference between the first two search engines in the Waze app.

As an example, when I search to find my nearest "The Home Depot" store, using the term "Home Depot", I see that the first (smiley) Waze icon appears to be selected while it is searching, then it promptly reverts to the second Waze icon (a blue pin with a white dot).

The results under the blue pin with a white dot are appropriate (ordered from closest to furtherest), but when I select the 1st Waze (smiley face) icon, the results are not helpful, in that the first is not the nearest, and for that matter my local "The Home Depot" store is not even found in the listing.

I've attached two screen shots from my iPhone to show what I'm talking about.

Again, I'm just looking to understand the difference between the two icons, and why that first one is even available.

Thanks,

Tom

P.S. The following "How To" page...

https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/How_to_Navig ... ch_engines

...does not give me an understanding (probably because it is based on v3.5, and the app is v3.9.2).
Attachments
Blue Pin results.PNG
Helpful result
(118.85 KiB) Downloaded 1271 times
Smiley results.PNG
Non helpful result
(101.35 KiB) Downloaded 1271 times

Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:29 pm

I just looked closer, and I see that the "Home Depot" store that I am referring to was mapped over a half-year ago...

https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lo ... 298.626969

If I correctly understand what I'm seeing, it does appear that a fellow Wazer did add a "Point Place" for it.

Your thoughts?
Post a reply