Search on iOS Waze app not returning relevant result

Moderators: krankyd, Unholy

Re: Search on iOS Waze app not returning relevant result

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:47 pm

Actually, Waze should find that info, but will not let you route to it. From Oregon, I can "see" the White House search result but cannot route to it.

Are you really getting zero results searching for the airport name? Did you check under all the different search result providers? Or, did you do a category search? It sounds like what you did based on the info you gave for the search results you did see.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:47 pm

CBenson wrote:
AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Actually, Waze should find that info, but will not let you route to it. From Oregon, I can "see" the White House search result but cannot route to it.

Have you tried this recently? The behavior has changed on my phone. Waze will no longer return search information for location over 1000 miles away as the crow flies on my phone.

You're right! The are more stringently filtering search results. I cannot get the White House to appear searching by POI name or by address which did work before.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | Oregon Project/To-Do List
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone5 - VZ - iOS 7.0.6 | Waze v3.7.9.992
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby AndyPoms » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:48 pm

daebo wrote:I am based in San Jose, trying to search for Indianapolis International Airport from the Waze app on my iPhone. The search returns only airports in the SF Bay Area (e.g., SJC, SFO) and in Washington and Oregon states. Is this a limitation that it only returns results near your current location? Can I find the desired result if I am in Indiana?

BTW, the Live Map on http://www.waze.com correctly returns Indianapolis International Airport, Indianapolis Metropolitan Airport. and Indianapolis Executive Airport.

Yes, because Waze is targeted at the commuter, the client app won't find destinations further than X miles... I forget what X is, but it's more than you can drive in one day, so it makes sense to break the trip up into smaller chunks.

When you are in Indiana, it should work.

P.S. Please don't Waze on a plane... It will pollute the road data...
Waze Champ & Forum Moderator
USA Country Manager
Senior Area Manager: State of Connecticut
Wiki: Editing | Best Practices | FAQ
AndyPoms
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby CBenson » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:21 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:Actually, Waze should find that info, but will not let you route to it. From Oregon, I can "see" the White House search result but cannot route to it.

Have you tried this recently? The behavior has changed on my phone. Waze will no longer return search information for location over 1000 miles away as the crow flies on my phone.
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Altantic, US
Verizon, Droid Razr Maxx HD, Android 4.1.2, Waze 3.7.9.909
CBenson
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

Search on iOS Waze app not returning relevant result

Postby daebo » Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:29 pm

I am based in San Jose, trying to search for Indianapolis International Airport from the Waze app on my iPhone. The search returns only airports in the SF Bay Area (e.g., SJC, SFO) and in Washington and Oregon states. Is this a limitation that it only returns results near your current location? Can I find the desired result if I am in Indiana?

BTW, the Live Map on www.waze.com correctly returns Indianapolis International Airport, Indianapolis Metropolitan Airport. and Indianapolis Executive Airport.
daebo

Postby daebo » Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:16 am

AndyPoms wrote:
daebo wrote:I am based in San Jose, trying to search for Indianapolis International Airport from the Waze app on my iPhone. The search returns only airports in the SF Bay Area (e.g., SJC, SFO) and in Washington and Oregon states. Is this a limitation that it only returns results near your current location? Can I find the desired result if I am in Indiana?

BTW, the Live Map on http://www.waze.com correctly returns Indianapolis International Airport, Indianapolis Metropolitan Airport. and Indianapolis Executive Airport.

Yes, because Waze is targeted at the commuter, the client app won't find destinations further than X miles... I forget what X is, but it's more than you can drive in one day, so it makes sense to break the trip up into smaller chunks.

When you are in Indiana, it should work.

P.S. Please don't Waze on a plane... It will pollute the road data...

Both are good to know. Thanks.
daebo

Return to Search