Annoying flashing search icon on bottom left corner

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Annoying flashing search icon on bottom left corner

Postby RoadRageLevel10 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:56 am

Hey guys,

Does anyone know why there is a irritating and distracting flashing search icon on the bottom left corner?

I know exactly where the freaking search icon is there is no point of flashing that freaking thing every 10 seconds for no reason.

I know where I’m going, I don’t need to search anything... and if I do need to search, I know where to click: on the freaking search icon, it doesn’t have to flash every 10 seconds to distract me.

Does anyone know how to turn this off?

Cheers
D
RoadRageLevel10

Re: Annoying flashing search icon on bottom left corner

Postby Smail-It » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:57 pm

I quit using Waze a few weeks ago because of this very distraction. Nothing in the app that I need or want enough to put up with such an annoying flashing icon. There was no reason for it flashing that I could find, and no way to turn it off. So I swore off Waze. Today I figured I might go back in and try to resolve it.

I believe I have found a way to turn it off. I have done this two or three times with success, but cannot swear it is reliable yet.

Open Waze, and the icon will be flashing. Hit your home button on your phone to push Waze into the background. When you reopen Waze, the flashing will have stopped.

Good luck. I'll rejoin Wazing until I can't stop that flashing again. See you on the road.
Smail-It

Postby RoadRageLevel10 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:25 pm

Awesome! I shall try that! It’s annoying indeed, specially at night when the entire screen is darker and that bloody flashing blue thing keeps happening I keep looking at it thinking it’s a new police warning or something.

But lately something even more irritating came up... freakin Ads that pop up a big square in your face depending on where you are, that one drives me
Insane too...
RoadRageLevel10

Postby Smail-It » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:34 pm

Those ads should occur only when you stop at an intersection or behind traffic, right? But those are top banner ads that drop down. And they disappear as soon as you start moving.

I haven't seen the big square ads yet, maybe in the middle of the screen? If they get too irritating, it'll be waving at Wazing again.

Here's to missing the potholes...those ones that people report that are never there.
Smail-It

Postby RoadRageLevel10 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:47 pm

It’s a big square that pops up and has a “i” button and a save for later button, I haven’t noticed when they show, but I’ve seen them driving at 100kmh on the motorway...
RoadRageLevel10

Postby Mvan231 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:08 pm

You guys are getting confused...

The flashing icon the original post was about is the search button... the reason for this being there (in my thought) is because the purpose of waze (to save time when driving) is meaningless unless you have a destination.

Otherwise, what is your purpose for using Waze?
- Mark V (mvan231)

Michigan Editor (Level 3) :) :geek:
GLR Editor
Wazeopedia :lol:
Engineer :geek:
iOS user :)
Mvan231

Postby Smail-It » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:29 pm

Really?

I'd estimate 90 percent of the time I use Waze I do not put in a search. I think search and using Waze for destinations is of very little use. Don't you know where you're going most of the time, anyway? Do you really need a program to show you how to drive home or to work or to a favorite store? For one, it is not a very good destination searcher. It tries to be too creative in alternate routes, and often it is nonsensical in its suggestions. It was conceived to find alternate routes to get around heavy traffic. I don't live in such areas.

What I use Waze for is to mark hazards, anticipate hazards, watch for police spotting, etc. Shared information is far more valuable to me than their search option.
Smail-It

Postby RoadRageLevel10 » Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:09 pm

Still don’t get why does it have to flash? We all know where the freakin icon is, I live in a relatively small city, where most of the time traffic is not a concern, and 99% of the time I know where I’m going and how to avoid the busy roads, I mostly use Waze for police and radar warnings... there is no reason whatsoever to have the flashing search icon
RoadRageLevel10

Postby BigTarg » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:40 pm

I've sent in an official help request for this very issue. This flashing icon is *dangerously* distracting and needs to be fixed!

However, after several back-and-forth emails with Waze support, including sending them log files and even a video showing the flashing icon, here's the final response I got:

"Thank you for getting back to us.

Please know that in the newest version we have made a few changes to Waze interface. The flashing search icon is an intended feature of the app now.

We’re always looking to improve Waze in all of its features, and user feedback is one of our most important tools for doing so.

Please know that we are constantly working to develop new and exciting features, bug fixes and more.
"

Bottom line, don't expect this to get fixed since it is supposedly some kind of "feature."

PS - Smail-It's solution appears to work for me too which really indicates this is a bug instead of a "feature."
BigTarg

Postby jon_slider » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:10 pm

Smail-It wrote:I quit using Waze a few weeks ago because of this very distraction.
I believe I have found a way to turn it off.
Open Waze, and the icon will be flashing. Hit your home button on your phone to push Waze into the background. When you reopen Waze, the flashing will have stopped.

Winner!
I had deleted Waze because of the flashing icon.
Just reinstalled and tested, and the flashing stopped after double tapping my home button (iPhone), and then reselecting the open window for Waze.

Thank You!

mvan231 wrote:You guys are getting confused...
what is your purpose for using Waze?

no, you are the one that is confused
I use Waze to spot cops along familiar routes that I do NOT need Navigation for.

I have a different app I use for Navigation, called Navigon. It works where Waze has no reception. I do sometimes compare the route Waze would use around traffic, but I prefer Navigon because it is private, does not use any Map servers that require sending data to Google/Waze.

And, I cannot abide the SPAM/Ads on Waze, there are none on Navigon.

BigTarg wrote:PS - Smail-It's solution appears to work for me too which really indicates this is a bug instead of a "feature."

Thanks for posting! I copied you, and it works!
jon_slider

Next

Return to Search