Google Maps addresses in Waze

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Google Maps addresses in Waze

Postby world_d0pl0oap » Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:57 pm

I've just come back to Waze after years of not using it and I am struggling to understand why address search feature simply doesn't seem to work at all, specifically when searching for addresses that have come from Google Maps.

For example, when I have either a contact with an address saved, or I have a calendar event at an address, these addresses have come from Google Maps and that app understands them perfectly. For some reason, Waze has no clue whatsoever. I had an event at a business a few towns over recently with the correct address in my calendar, but Waze gave me a list of other branches around me instead and finding the correct one was practically impossible. I tried to navigate to a contact address out in the countryside but Waze tried to direct me to the nearest village centre and didn't understand the street address at all. Google Maps got them perfectly correct on both occasions.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Surely Waze should understand addresses in the format that Google Maps gives them? It makes Waze very inconvenient to use as trying to explain to it the destination you want takes far longer than just going back to Google Maps.
world_d0pl0oap

Re: Google Maps addresses in Waze

Postby JoeRodriguez12 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:03 am

Hi there, a general reason for this issue is that Waze and Google Maps are 2 separate maps. The streets may not be mapped exactly as the other. So when Waze pulls an address from Google, it is using the closest segment to that location. It may or may not be correct. Your best bet is to search for the business by name first. If that is incorrect, you can drop a Map problem in the app and a map editor will reply back to help you solve the issue.

In your case, what were the destinations you mentioned in your above post. I can try and look to see if there is an issue on the Waze side, or if there is something we can do to fix routing to those destinations. Thanks!
CM: USA
Area Manager: MI, MN & OR
GLR Collaboration Liaison - Waze Socks Guy
iOS Beta Leader / CarPlay Tester / RBS

[ img ][ img ][ img ] [ img ][ img ]
Welcome Page
Illinois Michigan
Illinois Waze Facebook Illinois Waze Twitter
JoeRodriguez12
Country Manager
Country Manager

Re: Google Maps addresses in Waze

Postby Mvan231 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:52 pm

world_d0pl0oap wrote:I've just come back to Waze after years of not using it and I am struggling to understand why address search feature simply doesn't seem to work at all, specifically when searching for addresses that have come from Google Maps.

For example, when I have either a contact with an address saved, or I have a calendar event at an address, these addresses have come from Google Maps and that app understands them perfectly. For some reason, Waze has no clue whatsoever. I had an event at a business a few towns over recently with the correct address in my calendar, but Waze gave me a list of other branches around me instead and finding the correct one was practically impossible. I tried to navigate to a contact address out in the countryside but Waze tried to direct me to the nearest village centre and didn't understand the street address at all. Google Maps got them perfectly correct on both occasions.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Surely Waze should understand addresses in the format that Google Maps gives them? It makes Waze very inconvenient to use as trying to explain to it the destination you want takes far longer than just going back to Google Maps.

Did the explanation help out your issue? Sometimes there are differences between where Google Maps addresses are located and Waze addresses because of what Joe said, they are different maps with different data sets. Usage of both apps can be different as well.
- Mark V (mvan231)

Michigan Editor (Level 3) :) :geek:
GLR Editor
Wazeopedia :lol:
Engineer :geek:
iOS user :)
Mvan231

Return to Search