Re: Google search implementation

Postby maantje76 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 7:50 pm

How is the best result determinated?
maantje76
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby PappyVanWnkl » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:15 pm

Im looking forward to seeing if this help fix the issues in chicago of being directed to an alley behind the address of the residence or business instead of the front street address.
PappyVanWnkl

Postby goimir » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:51 pm

soaps13 wrote:Im looking forward to seeing if this help fix the issues in chicago of being directed to an alley behind the address of the residence or business instead of the front street address.

The worst thing for me is that waze knows it's giving you improper directions, as your route does not end on the destination steet.
goimir

Postby AlanOfTheBerg » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:55 pm

goimir wrote:The worst thing for me is that waze knows it's giving you improper directions, as your route does not end on the destination steet.

Yes and no. Yes, you input the value, but it relies exclusively on GPS location for the actual destination. With Waze internal addressing they are working on getting the stop point to be able to be located on any segment. I've got dozens maybe hundreds of addresses where the actual location is on a street named other than that in the address.
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Country Manager | iPhone6 - VZ - iOS 9.3.2 | Waze v4.7.0.1
AlanOfTheBerg
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby shirlig » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:09 pm

shirlig wrote:Hi guys,

We have just implemented Google search for addresses in the NA server.

That means that when we recognize that you are looking for an address (as opposed to landmark / business) we will compare between Waze results' and Google's and will display in the Waze tab the best among the two of them.

Please let us know if you encounter any issues.

known issue - the search results sometimes display two similar lines instead of one.
see example:
Screen Shot 2013-06-23 at 6.27.53 PM.png

Thanks,
Shirli

Hi guys, Google search for addresses has been implemented today in the following countries:

Belgium
Costa Rica
France
Germany
Italy
Mexico
Malaysia
Netherlands
Portugal
South Africa
Spain
Switzerland
United Kingdom

Thanks,
Shirli
shirlig
Waze Team
Waze Team

Postby maantje76 » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:05 pm

maantje76 wrote:How is the best result determinated?

Shirli?
maantje76
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby goimir » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:29 pm

AlanOfTheBerg wrote:
goimir wrote:The worst thing for me is that waze knows it's giving you improper directions, as your route does not end on the destination steet.

Yes and no. Yes, you input the value, but it relies exclusively on GPS location for the actual destination. With Waze internal addressing they are working on getting the stop point to be able to be located on any segment. I've got dozens maybe hundreds of addresses where the actual location is on a street named other than that in the address.

More often than not though, the location is at the actual address. Address not reflecting location (not a Waze problem, mind you) should be illegal, and as a commercial driver who has to go looking for these places from time to time, I hope there's a special place in hell for the planners who cause such things to happen, along with people who buy 20 dollars in ten different kinds of lottery tickets with a verbal order.
goimir

Postby GPSRitter » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:53 am

Shirli, could it be that you added also Austria (or complete DACH together with Germany)?
I've seen more accurate results recently here, even I have not yet tested it with full addresses.

But streets, villages, towns and sometimes POIs seem to be now where they should be.
GPSRitter
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby gettingthere » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:30 am

maantje76 wrote:How is the best result determinated?

I am interested to know this also. If Google returns a result it is automatically 'the best'?
San Diego, California USA and Tijuana, Mexico
iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 9.3.1, Waze 4.4
Waze - PLEASE ADD CARPLAY SUPPORT
gettingthere
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby jurjenm » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:34 am

Got a strange result yesterday. Tried searching for the Exportweg 2, Delft, Netherlands. It routed me to a location on a complete different road 2.8 kilometers from the actual location. I looked at the Waze map editor to find the error but nothing is wrong. Checked the Google map editor and nothing is wrong. Where are these bogus searches come from????

How can I as a Waze map editor change this? Or is Waze throwing all the mapping overboard and replace it with Google mapping?

I hope this is a one time error otherwise Waze will be unreliable for navigation. Please clarify.
jurjenm

PreviousNext

Return to Search