Forum rules
The place to ask for help when editing in the UK.

Map Editing Guidelines . Join the UK Discord Server

Waze behaviour when given destination behind restricted road

Post by ditchi56
This topic is prompted by this UR. The postcode input by the user is in Wood Lane here. Yet Waze has navigated to Southfield Place, where the UR was raised.

Wood Lane is within the St George's Hill private estate. Access is permitted for residents and other key-holders only. Since Waze has no way of knowing which users do have access rights, all the entrances to the estate are mapped with restrictions blocking all users all the time. My expectation was that this would not stop Waze navigating through one of the restrictions when given a destination within the estate. It would however ensure that Waze never sent any through traffic through the estate (which has in the past happened when the estate was just mapped as "private road", possibly because the time saving can be quite large on some routes).

However, it appears that the effect of the restrictions is so strong that Waze will not navigate past them, instead taking the user to the nearest point on the Waze map outside the restricted estate. (This point is itself up a private road, so clearly "restrictions" have more effect than "private" status).

Is this the effect that other people would expect?

I've raised this as a topic because, unless I have misunderstood (which is quite possible), this is not the way we expected Waze to behave. I thought Waze would navigate through a restriction when there was no other way of reaching the destination.

For this particular UR, I have a solution. I'll give people a couple of days to comment on this topic before I implement it. However, the map is not quite right for St Georges Hill. Most entrances are unmanned and genuinely restricted to key-holders. However, one has a security guard who can let other people in, and Waze should be navigating via that gate. I shall presently remove the restriction on that gate only.

Ian
ditchi56
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 5

POSTER_ID:7741216

Send a message

Post by ditchi56
NorfolkMustard wrote:I had the same issue here viewtopic.php?t=104925

It seems that, if the destination isn't a specific segment, which is almost never the case for a POI or a postcode, then Waze will take you to the closest segment which avoids transitioning a private road.

Either make all the segments, from the first private one to the closest segment to the dest, private, or make them all non-private.
That is a different problem, and one that I haven't experienced. When given a point which is not actually on a road, I expect Waze to identify the nearest point on a mapped road, and navigate to that.

This topic was originally about the fact that restrictions now potentially stop this happening. Other people seem to confirm that this is the case (as evidenced by the "Jolly Editors" thread referenced above).

Waze will certainly try to avoid using a private road, for instance using a longer street route to get from one side of a private road to the other. But in my experience, Waze will happily use a private road where it is the closest mapped road to the destination point. Your's is the first suggestion I've heard that this might not be the case, do you have a permalink to the area?

Ian
ditchi56
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by iainhouse
That sounds about right. I've done something similar for the Cator Estate in Blackheath. Some gates are key holder only - and some are only open at all on a schedule. The northernmost gate on the western side is manned by security, so is the main entrance for "outsiders".

I'm on holiday, so I'm only giving details from memory. You can find it fairly easily; "Cator Estate" is set as the city name.
iainhouse
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Answers: 1
Send a message
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... c4/AGC.pnghttps://sign.waze.tools/s2000.pnghttps://sign.waze.tools/c6.png
My scripts: WME FixUI WME Presets :ugeek:
I want to go to a commune in Vermont and deal with no unit of time shorter than a season

Post by NorfolkMustard
I had the same issue here viewtopic.php?t=104925

It seems that, if the destination isn't a specific segment, which is almost never the case for a POI or a postcode, then Waze will take you to the closest segment which avoids transitioning a private road.

Either make all the segments, from the first private one to the closest segment to the dest, private, or make them all non-private.
NorfolkMustard
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Stu
Local Champ: United Kingdom wiki
iOS

Post by Twister-UK
ditchi56 wrote:However, it appears that the effect of the restrictions is so strong that Waze will not navigate past them, instead taking the user to the nearest point on the Waze map outside the restricted estate. (This point is itself up a private road, so clearly "restrictions" have more effect than "private" status).

Is this the effect that other people would expect?

I've raised this as a topic because, unless I have misunderstood (which is quite possible), this is not the way we expected Waze to behave. I thought Waze would navigate through a restriction when there was no other way of reaching the destination.
Some of the recent posts in the Jolly Editors thread touch on this subject, suggesting that Waze only takes the restrictions into account when routing *out* of a restricted segment.

This tallies with the behaviour I see on Livemap when looking at areas which have restricted segments - asking for a route that ends somewhere on the first restricted segment to be encountered results in the restriction being ignored, whereas asking for a route that ends anywhere beyond the end of that first segment results in the restriction being enforced, even if the starting point of the route is within that first segment as well.
Twister-UK
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 2
Send a message
Chris (not to be confused with Chris or Chris, or even Tim, Stu, or any of the other champs team...)
AM SE England & Shetland Islands, UK Local Champ, WME Beta Tester & ScriptMangler
WME/Livemap enhancement scripts @ GreasyFork

https://chizzum.com/greasemonkey/images/beta.pnghttps://chizzum.com/greasemonkey/images/s0400.pnghttps://chizzum.com/greasemonkey/images/c5s.png