Forum rules
The place to ask for help when editing in the UK.

Map Editing Guidelines . Join the UK Discord Server

Reporting Road Closures

Post by Timbones
Waze provide two systems for closing major roads without altering the map, and these should be used for any temporary planned closures such as roadworks. Road closures will appear on the Livemap and in the client, and will affect routing. Closures are also visible in the WME, but can only be added or modified by a rank 3 editor. (Updated December, 2015)

1. For straight-forward closures, a request can be made in the UK Editor Requests forum, and it will be processed the same way as unlocks. Please be sure to provide all the information needed to add the closure.

2. For more complicated closures, for example for daily/nightly closures, the Road Closure Form can still be used. A small team of volunteers will verify the details and make it happen. Please submit details at least a week before the closure is due to start. [deprecated]

If you're not sure which to use, stick with the first option. An higher ranked editor may refer you to the form if that is more appropriate.

Closure Notes:
• This is only for complete road closures, and not lane closures or traffic lights.
• Closures longer than 6 months will need to entered as multiple closures.
• Major events, such as carnivals or road races, should still be submitted via the Major Events form.
• Scheduled restrictions should no longer be used for this purpose, as they are not visible to users.
• Once a closure is added to one or more segments, they cannot be edited until after the closure.
Do not split a segment and then try to add a closure - this will not work.

Warnings:
• Online sources of roadworks are occasionally incorrect, and describe closures that may not happen. Try to verify the closure with multiple references, with on-site information where possible.
Do not be tempted to add real-time closures for accidents and incidents. They are exceedingly difficult to monitor and keep up-to-date.

For complicated or long-term closures (say, longer than a week), it may be helpful to add a User Report to the map to alert other editors about it.

You can now also request closure rights for your area.

If you have any questions or comments, please post them below.
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 2

POSTER_ID:1445148

Send a message
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Closure Monitor
Scripts: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries

Post by biccies
WaywardActor wrote:I really don't understand this. Why was the button for reporting closures removed from the app? I live in LA and closures are all over the place. I used waze a couple of days ago and it TWICE routed me to closed roads!!! This makes the app so much less useful. What is going on?
As far as I can see the "Closures" button is still there.

You are posting in the UK subforum but I can't see that it would be any different on the USA server.
biccies
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by ditchi56
So if you report a closure in the app (and are "only" L4 or below) you need to post to the UK Editor Requests" forum before the closure stands a chance of becoming effective. And even if you're L5, you need to edit your own closure.
ditchi56
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 5
Send a message

Post by ditchi56
snigehere wrote:Can you lift the closure marked on Dugald Drummond St, Portsmouth, Portsmouth - work is completed and the road has re-opened
This would have been better posted to the UK Editor Requests forum. However, I've zapped the closure. Please have a look at the turns and one-way roads and see if they are still correct. If not, either fix them yourself (once WME (the editor) has stopped playing up), or post to the Editor Requests forum.

Ian
ditchi56
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 5
Send a message

Post by Kkervinjones
Can you confirm that [CLOSURE] URs needn't be reported now when requesting the closures?
Kkervinjones
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 11
Send a message
Keith
UK Country Admin and Global Champ
Area Manager for North West England and the Isle of Man
Google Pixel 5 (Personal)/iPhone 8 (Work) - Carplay/AA - 2021 Toyota Corolla

https://s.waze.tools/gc.pnghttps://s.waze.tools/c6s.pnghttps://s.waze.tools/s0500.pnghttps://s.waze.tools/betc.pnghttps://s.waze.tools/beta.pnghttps://s.waze.tools/tem.png
https://i.imgur.com/nW244c6.png

Post by seriousarsonist
as it is now the season of the glorious twelfth, I am wondering if I should add all the road closures for the various parades, counter parades and protests via WME, the spreadsheet or as an event?

(only joking about the event bit)

via WME would probably be easiest as it take much less effort and most won't go past the 6 month cutoff. but think it would be good to check. The data source I would be using for them would be the parades commission and also the Traffic NI website

if I could get a decent feed that could be automated that would be nice, but as there isn't I'll just do it all manually...

thoughts please

Thanks
Pip
seriousarsonist
Send a message

Post by snigehere
Can you lift the closure marked on Dugald Drummond St, Portsmouth, Portsmouth - work is completed and the road has re-opened
snigehere
Send a message

Post by Timbones
Kkervinjones wrote:Can you confirm that [CLOSURE] URs needn't be reported now when requesting the closures?
They are not required all the time now that closures are visible in the editor, but in some circumstances it might be helpful to add a UR with information for other editors.
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by Timbones
wolfsbane2k wrote:FYI, It would appear that app reported closures are now shown in the editor as well, if reported with 'long term' with an expiry year of 1970.
Correct, though they need confirming by an editor before they will have any actual effect on routing.
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by Timbones
wolfsbane2k wrote:Is confirming something tat is again limited to lvl 5/6 editors? I found dmy own reported closure this morning, but didn't think to try and fiddle with it as am out of date with recent changes
I assume so, yes. I've not heard anything to the contrary.
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message