Forum rules
The place to ask for help when editing in the UK.

Map Editing Guidelines . Join the UK Discord Server

Say hello to Counties!

Post by
After nearly 5 years of waiting, counties have finally been added to the UK!

All our cities, towns and villages are now associated with the county they are in, and this information will be used for address searches in the app. County suffixes are no longer required on the end of city names to keep them unique, although there are still a few instances of duplicate town names within a county.

For cities that are also their own Unitary Authority, they can now have their suburbs defined within them. For example: Blackpool, Derby, Southampton. Note that not all UAs are also cities; e.g. all counties in Scotland and Wales.

County names and boundaries were derived from official government sources (namely Ordnance Survery), and can be seen on the new wiki page UK Counties. If you spot a problem with the name or state of a city, please request a change via this form.

DO NOT attempt to fix city names manually by editing segments!

We will be giving Waze a (very) long list of city names to fix in the database, and until that work is done there will be a freeze on adding new names.

Questions and comments welcome below.

:ugeek:

POSTER_ID:1445148

Send a message

Post by CTCNetwork
Hi,

Strangely enough I came across this whilst looking for a village I wished to create (there is a UR around somewhere!) as there is a UR there saying that specifically the second "Broadwell" shouldn't be "Forest of Dean"!
Good luck with that one! :D

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork
Send a message

Post by DG567
Do you know what will eventually happen with the city names that are duplicated within the same county?

For example - Wilton, and Wilton (Wilts), both within Wiltshire.
DG567
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by ditchi56
Maybe the larger one should be plain "Broadwell"?

And then if you do need a multi-stage edit, it would only need two stages instead of three.
ditchi56
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 5
Send a message

Post by ditchi56
Further to Tim's post, the usual "road" segment culprit for a county smudge is a Railway. If you zoom out to the maximum level which shows railways, and then use the Toolbox "select segments" function (green tick), you'll get a list of all the segments in the area. Then if you change the columns to show "state", you can see the county for each. If a railway labelled with one county name goes substantially into another county, chop it at the boundary.

However, places can also cause city and country smudges. Especially linear places like rivers. I would suggest that large places should not have "city" and "state" set. City we can edit. Unfortunately, although it is valid for a place not to have a "state" - and plenty don't - we cannot at present create a new place which doesn't have a "state", nor can we get rid of "state" once it exists.
ditchi56
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 5
Send a message

Post by dmcconachie
O... M... G...!!!

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by leocylau
It's wonderful news. I expect we do not have to do anything yet. For example, a segment in Newcastle, the County name is same as City name atm:

County: Newcastle upon Tyne
City: Newcastle upon Tyne

The County name should be Tyne and Wear.

I expect Waze will change it for us once our CAs submit the list.
leocylau
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 3
Send a message
UK WikiUK Forum

'For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved.' 1 Cor. 10:33b

GC•Newcastle upon Tyne AM•HK CM•Localisation Coordinator

Post by leocylau
Some towns have suffix, for example, Kenton (Newcastle upon Tyne). Suppose we should change it to Kenton without suffix. While new cities are frozen, should I wait for CA to submitt the list to Waze or should I use the Cities form to request the change?
leocylau
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 3
Send a message
UK WikiUK Forum

'For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved.' 1 Cor. 10:33b

GC•Newcastle upon Tyne AM•HK CM•Localisation Coordinator

Post by NorfolkMustard
Having problems changing a segment's city from one to another (both already exist).

Error message suggests I'm trying to create a new city.
NorfolkMustard
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Stu
Local Champ: United Kingdom wiki
iOS

Post by NorfolkMustard
TheMKLightning wrote:
NorfolkMustard wrote:Having problems changing a segment's city from one to another (both already exist).

Error message suggests I'm trying to create a new city.
I had that too, you'll need to ensure the county is correct for the city (or at least what Waze believes is correct).
bingo, thanks.
NorfolkMustard
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Send a message
Stu
Local Champ: United Kingdom wiki
iOS