Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by Timbones
Thanks Twister. I had meant to post an announcement about it, but it slipped through the cracks of life.

If anyone else had feedback about the Elgin reports, please add it up this thread. Cheers.
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 2
Send a message
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Closure Monitor
Scripts: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries

Post by Timbones
Thank you all, I have shared this feedback with HQ, which will be relayed back to Elgin.

Please keep posting examples of unhelpful reports.

:geek:
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by Timbones
Thank you for that reply, Fej - it's good to know someone's reading our feedback. :)

Something to be aware of regarding these reports: Elgin collects the information from local government departments and utility companies, which means that the quality of the reports is very dependent on who supplied them. As a result, we can expect to see different styles and quality of reports around the country. Either the local sources need better guidelines on writing reports, or someone in the middle needs to rewrite them.

There are two issues that Waze can fix directly however:
1. the map only shows a handful of words for the report, which often misses the important detail.
2. there needs to be a way for the community to delete reports which are incorrect or out-dated.
Being able to review and close reports in the editor would be really useful...

Filtering out the reports which have expired is a must.
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by Timbones
Twister-UK wrote:...if the Elgin data was used to generate URs in WME, rather than alerts in the app, it then wouldn't matter so much about the variability of the data.
Waze is currently trialling "Road Closure Requests" that use data from Elgin (and TrafficMaster). They generally seem to be more useful than the feeds that goes directly to the Livemap. A plus point is that editors will be able to create closures or dismiss the report as appropriate. On the other hand, it requires an editor to do something with it, or it won't appear to drivers.
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by Timbones
I'm now wondering if there's any point showing the details of the works at all. Many of them are either too vague or too specific, and don't indicate the impact on traffic. The reports from TrafficMaster are at least written with driver-centric information.

Perhaps Elgin reports should simply say "Roadworks here (maybe)"?
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by Timbones
There seems to have been a change made recently, as the Elgin reports are now appearing on the map as generic warning triangles instead of yellow hats. You can now tap 'not there' on the popup if you're approaching one.

Also, anyone who is rank 4+ and has access to the Beta editor should now be able to view Road Closure Requests. These come from the same Elgin feed, and contain information about the closure, so that they can be applied to the map. Post feedback about these here as well. Thanks.
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by Timbones
slyatslys wrote:This tidal flow due to roadworks at Gloucester northern bypass has been finished for about 3 weeks now and do is directing Wazers off course needlessly.
This closure was manually added based on data from Highways England. I've now removed it. :)
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by Timbones
Thank you all for the feedback. I'll be collecting examples and sending them to Waze, so please post fresh examples here. I'll also enquire about the Not There button for ones that don't exist.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by Timbones
Phill87 wrote:This is the Great Daux roundabout north west of Horsham, at the junction with A24 & A264. All about replacement of the lampposts, they've occasional shut a lane at off peak times
Thanks for the great feedback. Unfortunately I can't see anything particular about this data that would allow Waze to filter them out. West Sussex County Council has posted 5 "lane closure" works at the junction, until Dec 7th.
Phill87 wrote:This is a minor road off martyrs avenue in Crawley, again no real impact on traffic flow.
I look at this one, and according to Roadworks.org, there are several roads in this area that are closed this week for resurfacing. Are you saying they weren't closed, or that you don't care because you're sticking to the main roads? (I wouldn't be surprised if they were only closed during the day, and possibly only for one or days - we're at the mercy of whatever data is supplied by local authorities and utility companies)

:ugeek:
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by Timbones
I'm still interested to hear of any areas of the country that seems to have a particularly bad case of "roadwork pox", so I can pass them on to HQ.

If you want to help with investigation, check the same locations in Roadworks.org and look at the current Status. I'm thinking that anything that is marked as "Advanced Planning" or "Planned works about to start" should be hidden from the map. If you have examples that prove otherwise, let me know.

Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message