Forum rules
The place to ask for help when editing in the UK.

Map Editing Guidelines . Join the UK Discord Server

What to do about car parks?

Post by stuffhappens
Can't see any official advice on this so what's the position marking up car parks?

I have added the main car parks in Chichester as 'parking lot' landmarks and they are now showing up on the phone, but since they are not really highlighted in any specific way it's not going to be clear to map users what these shapes are.

I have amended the names of a few from (for example) "South Pallant" to "South Pallant Car Park" and for such longer names "South Pallant CP" might be wise?

Words of wisdom please...

Ta.
stuffhappens

POSTER_ID:4616996

Send a message

Post by Dave2084
dmcconachie wrote:
stuffhappens wrote:Can't see any official advice on this so what's the position marking up car parks?

I have added the main car parks in Chichester as 'parking lot' landmarks and they are now showing up on the phone, but since they are not really highlighted in any specific way it's not going to be clear to map users what these shapes are.

I have amended the names of a few from (for example) "South Pallant" to "South Pallant Car Park" and for such longer names "South Pallant CP" might be wise?

Ta.
Contentious issue really. I don't like the landmark option as in my opinion it highlights something not actually that important. They do work in that the client will not report any traffic from your device if it detects you are in a car park.
I prefer to trace the basic skeleton, usually just a ring around the actual car park, using the "Parking Lot Road" type. This ensures if you are anywhere inside you will snap to a parking lot road rather than a nearby actual road.
+1
Dave2084
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
iPhone 12 Pro Max • iOS 15.x • Waze 4.x
Level 6 Editor • iOS Beta Leader • Waze Global Champ (Retired)

Post by dmcconachie
stuffhappens wrote:Can't see any official advice on this so what's the position marking up car parks?

Ta.
Contentious issue really. I don't like the landmark option as in my opinion it highlights something not actually that important. They do work in that the client will not report any traffic from your device if it detects you are in a car park.
I prefer to trace the basic skeleton, usually just a ring around the actual car park, using the "Parking Lot Road" type. This ensures if you are anywhere inside you will snap to a parking lot road rather than a nearby actual road.
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status