Forum rules
The place to ask for help when editing in the UK.

Map Editing Guidelines . Join the UK Discord Server

I could cry

Post by sjdean
I spend a good few weeks updating all the areas according to ward profiles, google maps, put in loads of work to ensure wards are correctly mapped, Acocks Green, Stockfield, Fox Hollies, Kitts Green, Yardley, Stechford, Springfield, Hall Green, Billesley, Yardley Wood, Northfield, Cotteridge, Bournville, Lifford, Turves Green and West Heath, and some bugger is going in there changing a couple of roads here and a couple of roads there. :-(

The map is going to look a flaming mess with "duplicate" names.

So could someone advise in terms of suburb mapping, cos I could have it wrong, would you go with say "Kings Heath (Birmingham)", or my preference, "Kings Heath (Bham)".

Whichever one it is, can we get an admin to do a find and replace so I don't have to go through every flaming road in South Birmingham again?

Cya
Simon
sjdean

POSTER_ID:472449

Send a message

Post by Dave2084
sjdean wrote:I spend a good few weeks updating all the areas according to ward profiles, google maps, put in loads of work to ensure wards are correctly mapped, Acocks Green, Stockfield, Fox Hollies, Kitts Green, Yardley, Stechford, Springfield, Hall Green, Billesley, Yardley Wood, Northfield, Cotteridge, Bournville, Lifford, Turves Green and West Heath, and some bugger is going in there changing a couple of roads here and a couple of roads there. :-(

The map is going to look a flaming mess with "duplicate" names.

So could someone advise in terms of suburb mapping, cos I could have it wrong, would you go with say "Kings Heath (Birmingham)", or my preference, "Kings Heath (Bham)".

Whichever one it is, can we get an admin to do a find and replace so I don't have to go through every flaming road in South Birmingham again?

Cya
Simon
For Nottingham, after a very long discussion it was decided that "Clifton (Nottingham)" was the way to go. This has yet to be reflected in the Wiki but might not be a bad idea to add it.

http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=12761
Dave2084
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
iPhone 12 Pro Max • iOS 15.x • Waze 4.x
Level 6 Editor • iOS Beta Leader • Waze Global Champ (Retired)

Post by Dave2084
dmcconachie wrote:
sjdean wrote:Waze deserpately needs an Area, City and County Field - and in the absence of this, guidance needs to be issued. Waze is becoming a force to be reckoned with, and it needs more standardisation IMHO.
I nag them about this via email and twitter at least once every 48 hours!
That's obviously not often enough!
Dave2084
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
iPhone 12 Pro Max • iOS 15.x • Waze 4.x
Level 6 Editor • iOS Beta Leader • Waze Global Champ (Retired)

Post by dmcconachie
sjdean wrote:Waze deserpately needs an Area, City and County Field - and in the absence of this, guidance needs to be issued. Waze is becoming a force to be reckoned with, and it needs more standardisation IMHO.
I nag them about this via email and twitter at least once every 48 hours!
dmcconachie
Send a message
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by sjdean
Something definitely needs to be standardised. Going by the WIKI entry, Birmingham shouldn't even be split as it's a town in its own right. However there are compelling arguments to split it. But without something hard in writing, it's a total free for all I tells ye with each one thinking they're right.

Waze deserpately needs an Area, City and County Field - and in the absence of this, guidance needs to be issued. Waze is becoming a force to be reckoned with, and it needs more standardisation IMHO.

Personally though, I'd quite like to get rid of the idea of naming roads and would rather draw cut outs on the map, like POI's and add virtual layers of locality.

That'd be sweet.
sjdean
Send a message

Post by Timbones
sjdean wrote:Something definitely needs to be standardised. Going by the WIKI entry, Birmingham shouldn't even be split as it's a town in its own right. However there are compelling arguments to split it. But without something hard in writing, it's a total free for all I tells ye with each one thinking they're right.
Common practice is to treat large cities as their own counties, and name the suburbs accordingly. For example, "Kings Heath (Birmingham)". This does indeed need to be written in the Wiki.

There is some argument as to whether the city centre should be called just "Birmingham" or "Birmingham (W Midlands)" or even "Birmingham (Birmingham)". I really don't think it matters either way, and prefer the former.

Generally, I stick to whatever notation has been used locally, as changing it is a right bother.
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 2
Send a message
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Closure Monitor
Scripts: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries