Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by Timbones
Examples:

1. Here's a restricted junction that only goes to (and from) the A659, so ramps can be unnamed. Users won't even get an instruction to enter the A64.

2. Another restricted junction. Exit ramp could have been unnamed, but needs to be named "A162" so that there's a 'keep right' for people turning to go north. Entry ramp is named "A64" for shorter instructions, but it doesn't really matter either way.

3. Simple junction with roundabout. Exit ramps are simple "A1237", even if driver is actually headed to a different road. Entry ramps are named "A64 > city" to provide disambiguation.

4. A typical roundabout junction. Exit ramps have two A roads on them as listed on the signs, even though there's also a B road (not signed).

5. A numbered junction from A1 (M).
From the north, exit ramp is simply "J44 to A64" as before, and entry ramp is unnamed.
From the south, exit ramp is also "J44 to A64", followed by a 'Keep left to A64 towards Leeds". There's no instruction for "A64 > York", so it could be unnamed.

The roundabout has two exits that are named "A64 > city". Not strictly ramps, but this shows how we can improve the navigation instructions in other situations too. This may get out of hand though.

6. This motorway split will announce: "Exit left onto Junction 41 to M62" and then either "Keep left onto M62 towards Hull" or "Keep right onto M62 towards Manchester".

Had the exit from A1 been unnamed, then we'd have "Exit left onto Junction 41 to M62 towards Manchester" followed by "Keep right onto Junction 41 to M62 towards Manchester", which I think is unnecessarily wordy (like you get here).
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 2
Send a message
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Closure Monitor
Scripts: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries

Post by Timbones
seriousarsonist wrote:We tend to get something like 'Blaris off slip city bound' on the traffic reports. So having our ramps named as such with the > for direction would make more sense, sort of anyway. All junctions are numbered and named so 'Junction X whatever off slip something bound' would be nice but I know that wouldn't fit with the rest of the U.K.
Does this match how the ramps are signed, and what the drivers see out the window? Traffic reports don't give navigation instructions... ;)
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by Timbones
RobertKlosSpeedy wrote:Is there as well a proposal to show the Ramp Name in a more graphic version. So that it displays the sign next to or over the highway? (like you see in other nav's or nav apps)
Waze deliberately hide the names of the ramps from the map, as they can be long and unwieldy. I don't know if they're planning to change that.
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by Timbones
Kkervinjones wrote:How would we deal with exits ramps that don't connect to numbered roads?
In both the examples you gave, I think that unnamed segments would give the best instructions.
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by Timbones
Instructions for unmanned ramps will be read out with the name of the _following_ road segment, which in this and other examples will match the signage.

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by Timbones
I'd like to resurrect this thread, as I've left it forgotten for far too long.

It seems from the responses above that people are generally in favour with my original post?
Please post again if you've spotted a potential issue which I haven't address yet.
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by Timbones
PealRinger wrote:I've used the new format already in response to URs in a couple of place where ramps split and have seen no further reports at those junctions, e.g. A35/A326 junction
Nicely done, though I'd be inclined to set these segments to be unnamed so that driver is told which direction their heading before they leave the carriageway. However, this assumes that both directions are on the exit signs, and it may actually be confusing if one of them is missing. Fortunately, that's not the case here.
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by Timbones
leocylau wrote:Just a curiosity on one of Tim's example, this segment has been named 'A1079>Hull' acted as a wayfinder. Should it be a 'ramp' type? Otherwise there is a chance the 'A1079>Hull' will be shown on the map?
It is a wayfinder, and there is a very small chance it might appear on the map, but I think it's highly unlikely for such a short segment. I need to test it some time...
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by Timbones
Thanks for testing. I'll shorten that second segment.
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by Timbones
I've also noticed that 'exit left' was missing the direction - I think it has too many unnamed segments, contrary to the route checker. I'll have to look into that...

Be cautious of adding wayfinders off of roundabouts though - it's very experimental and might not be a good idea.
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message