Forum rules
The place to ask for help when editing in the UK.

Map Editing Guidelines . Join the UK Discord Server

Dirt Road 4x4 /Tractor track NOT Street!

Post by Southernrockerboy
Travelling on Easter break with my 4x4, where my Waze app is always set to allow 4x4 dirt roads & to include long ones I have really never had so much fun on what I thought & expected as normal country lanes, but seriously my app gave me the real shortest route from Wells across towards Rockbourne.

From Bury lane around Broad Chalke, Wiltshire through to the A354 I was taken down a road I now see was classed as a Street for a short stretch that had a tiny 6x4 inch bridleway sign on the left hand side (Google Street View), looked a bit pot holed but with a few buildings we had no worry of going on. We passed Ox Drove and Knighton Wood Farm, ending up coming out at a dual carriageway where we could not cross this & carried on turning left instead to Salisbury.

My concern is that the nature of this track fast became impassable for anything but a 4x4 or tractor and there was no way even I would have attempted to turnaround. So I have taken the liberty of changing that first section from Street to Dirt Track unless some editor would like to make it a dead end as far as a Street classification is concerned up to where Google shows it as a dead end to the buildings. I tell you becoming dusk driving through ten feet long pot holes almost as wide as the car and 10 inches deep, I had confidence in my car but anything else would have easily come a cropper.

Trying to look on Street View you can only look at each end of where I went, as there is nothing recorded, but does that make it a real private roadway? the newer gate at the A354 end did have a sign stating Private but where does one obtain that legal information while on the road as signs may just be there as a deterrent & at the Street end there was nothing.

I will attempt to add some views to support my case.
The one track view was at its best!

Have read both these related topics.
https://wiki.waze.com/wiki/Road_types/U ... 2.A0.C2.A0
viewtopic.php?f=833&t=177153&p=1326912& ... 4#p1326912

Apologies if I have made any errors on what and where to post this incident, if only to protect others.
Southernrockerboy

POSTER_ID:17160830

Send a message
Attachments
Frequently on the road, often using Waze to locate properties to visit, or roads/streets in unfamiliar places. When something is missing, new developments or wromg direction I add and edit, subject to my level, & would like to learn more about adding as time permits in my locaility.
Often driving 4x4, & love exploring the tracks and lanes.

Post by chriscompo
So it is a gated road or Green Lane? Waze does have dirt roads options.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
chriscompo
Send a message

Post by ditchi56
thomsonjuk wrote:but in my local area (Forest of Dean) there have been a lot of forest tracks marked in as 4x4 roads
This may be partly my fault. I do occasionally take part in special events for which parking is (with proper authority) along forest roads (and not just in the Forest of Dean).

I like to have them on Waze so that I can get Waze to give me a sensible route when I come to leave. While my route in and out from the public roads will be signed and therefore Waze will not be needed, I do like to set my destination in Waze before I start driving out. If the forest roads are not on Waze, then it will refuse to give me a route when I start as I'm too far from a "road". Then I'll have to stop and fiddle with Waze again when I hit the public roads, by which time I may well be in a valley with no phone signal...

You may be looking at some roads which I did a long time ago, so they may not fit the way I would do them now. But now....
- if there is no sensible through route, then I think it's OK to map the roads as "dirt road", since Waze will never take people along them unless given a destination on the forest road network
- if there is a plausible through route, then what I usually do is map a short section of "private road" to correspond to the lockable gate at each end, and then "dirt road" inbetween. This stops Waze from ever using them as through routes.

You could make out a perfectly good case for converting all these forest roads to "private road" but I would appreciate them being left on in some form (and not "walking trail" because then Waze will once again refuse to give a route out).

Ian
ditchi56
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 5
Send a message

Post by ditchi56
Possibly a change of mobile provider may help, but there are dead spots on all networks.

When you've done enough edits to get to a high enough level, you get a wider area around your drivers (level 4 and 3 miles, I think from memory).

Otherwise you''ll have to resort to requests on the UK Editor Requests forum, most level 5 editors have nationwide coverage irrespective of drives. If you find some of them getting stroppy about being asked to bother with forest roads, send me a PM and I'll deal with them (eventually).

Ian
ditchi56
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 5
Send a message

Post by PealRinger
Another solution for this I've seen used is to put a short segment of Private Street in place to make the start of the private land, e.g. at each gate, and then map the internal network of tracks as dirt rounds.

This is basically the same solution as a private campus, and will allow routing in/out but not through the area.

I think it's important that anywhere mapped simply as a 4x4 road is actually public access, whether that's a badly potholed road or a BOAT (byway open to all traffic).
PealRinger
PartnerCoordinator
PartnerCoordinator
Send a message

Post by seriousarsonist
If they're drivable 4x4 roads which are not 'usually' accessible I'd set them as private, it's what I've been considering doing in the Mournes as we're (scouts) will be hosting a number of events which will need people not from round here to find out if the way places that are usually 'private' (also similar to long lanes/driveways to set house numbers)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
seriousarsonist
Send a message

Post by seriousarsonist
PealRinger wrote:Another solution for this I've seen used is to put a short segment of Private Street in place to make the start of the private land, e.g. at each gate, and then map the internal network of tracks as dirt rounds.
If using this method, can I suggest that the short private segments are locked to a high level to stop them being fiddled with?
seriousarsonist
Send a message

Post by TheMKLightning
I would definitely make the top section of the Northern end of the lane private road as it services 3 houses there. It may be that the rest of the track should be removed, I can't say for sure, but adding the section of private road should stop Waze providing it as a through route.
TheMKLightning
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/7/76/W ... 00k_4c.png
AM for West Wales Rheolwr Ardal Cymru Gorllewin

Post by thomsonjuk
Sorry to hijack but in my local area (Forest of Dean) there have been a lot of forest tracks marked in as 4x4 roads - whilst technically correct the forestry commission tend to block these routes and while most would be passable they are designed and maintained for HGV timber haulage and not for motorised vehicles (forestry get very uptight and do prosecute), should they be deleted or marked in as walking trails? also would it be worth my while editing in the statutory boundary of the forest as this is not currently marked, I am updating slowly the car parks and the actual areas available as these are by no means accurate also marking in the one way systems hope its of use.
thomsonjuk
Send a message

Post by thomsonjuk
Thanks for the direction folks another issue that I have hit is being unable to edit areas in the forest due to lack of mobile signal, I have driven within a mile of the areas but the editor is showing only very small patches available to edit this will be down to lack of mobile signal as mentioned in a previous post, is there any way around this?
thomsonjuk
Send a message