Forum rules
The place to ask for help when editing in the UK.

Map Editing Guidelines . Join the UK Discord Server

Needing some Advice with a UR A308

Post by kilrathal
Hey All,

Going to need a bit of senior advice on this UR

Please see the below comments from the Reportee:
"Hi Kilrathal
Thank you for the follow up on my report.
Although this was a few weeks ago I remember I was travelling eastbound along the A308, from Windsor toward Old Windsor.
As I approached the roundabout at the Datchet Road and Straight Road junction, Waze told me to take the second exit (correct) but then said And Keep Right (incorrect).
This is a complex roundabout but if you keep right after joining Datchet Road, heading South, the road layout will force you around the roundabout again to head back to A308 to Windsor.
I hope this is clear and thanks again"

The section they are refering to is highlighted in the below perma.

I have a feeling that Waze had some sort of medical emergency when running the routing. As the GPS provided with the UR is insanely wrong and heading in completely the wrong direction.
I believe this may be something to do with the UR being raised..
If this is the case then i can inform them. It was down to an anomoly with Waze and not with the map but i want to make sure before informing them of that.

Appreciate anyone that can look at this.
kilrathal

POSTER_ID:17199439

Send a message
Last edited by Timbones on Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Actually make the Permalink link to something ;)
Sam
Occasional editor for Essex and the places I travel.
Iphone 11 Pro / Apple carplay on Pioneer SPH-320DAB
Somehow dealing with people in South Essex and beyond.
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/2/24/W ... 2cones.png
UK Wiki

Post by iainhouse
A complicated situation - I can see why you wanted some advice!

First of all, the Waze route trace. We only get supplied with part of the Waze route and it can sometime make things confusing. In this case, the report was raised after the junction. What we are actually seeing is that Waze is trying to turn the driver around and send them back to the NE for some reason. If you look between St. Luke's Rd and St Peter's Rd, you will see that the purple line has arrows pointing in both directions. That is the point where the section of Waze route we can see actually begins, heading south. Waze was telling the driver to turn right into St Peter's Rd, loop around in St Peter's Cl and then turn left back out of St Peters Rd heading back to the "roundabout". It gets very confusing when the Waze route overlays itself like this. ;)

When I see something like that, I'd normally assume a destination problem: the driver is heading somewhere but Waze thinks they're heading somewhere else. But that's not what the reporter complained about, so let's get onto that.

First, and most importantly, the junction they are complaining about is not a roundabout. It has no "proper" roundabout signs and no signs that even suggest a roundabout. It's simply a one way system, and one that is mapped (mostly) correctly as such in Waze.
reporter wrote:As I approached the roundabout at the Datchet Road and Straight Road junction, Waze told me to take the second exit (correct)...
It's generally best not to tell reporters they got it wrong, but I'm 100% confident Waze didn't tell them to take the second exit because it's not a roundabout!
reporter wrote:...but then said And Keep Right (incorrect).
Not incorrect, but misleading. After entering the junction, they would have received a "Keep Right" at the end of this segment and they misinterpreted this as being an instruction for further round. This would not have happened if there had been a keep left/right at the end of this segment, which there really should have been. I've now altered that fork so that it gives a KL/KR correctly by adding a couple of alt-names.

I would suggest that you explain to the reporter that the junction isn't a roundabout at all; the "keep right" was intended to keep them going round the junction past Datchet Road; and that we've fixed the map so that they will then get a keep left to tell them to continue south onto Straight Rd. They haven't complained about the fact Waze then tried to route them back where they came from again, so I wouldn't mention it. :lol:

Now, I said the junction was mostly correct. It has a couple of mistakes that need correcting, which you can do.

Firstly, the geometry at the end of this segment is wrong. There's a give-way line and the presence of a yellow box junction suggests that traffic passing in front of the give-way line is sometimes heavy enough that drivers will have to pause at the give-way line and make a careful exit to head up towards Datchet Road. So I think the geometry should be altered there to give a "turn" instruction.

Secondly, although the name is technically correct, I think that this segment should have it's name removed. Currently, drivers forking right onto that segment will get "keep right onto A308 Albert Road". But they're actually heading onto Straight Road. If the name is removed, the correct name from the next segment will be carried back.

When you've removed the name, you'll then have a short unnamed segment joining a long unnamed segment. I will award maximum bonus points if you can work out how to remove the superfluous junction node. :lol:

Let me know when you're done and I'll give it a look-over. :roll:
iainhouse
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Answers: 1
Send a message
https://storage.googleapis.com/wazeoped ... c4/AGC.pnghttps://sign.waze.tools/s2000.pnghttps://sign.waze.tools/c6.png
My scripts: WME FixUI WME Presets :ugeek:
I want to go to a commune in Vermont and deal with no unit of time shorter than a season