Forum rules
The place to ask for help when editing in the UK.

Map Editing Guidelines . Join the UK Discord Server

A4 Roundabout(?) Shepherds Hill -Reading, Berks

Post by Andidy
Hi all,

First off Permalink to the roundabout

Prompted by the thread about Hastings interchange and the fact that the directions when using this roundabout (particularly from church lane turning right to follow the A4 north east) are awful if you don't know how the segments are set up so what each direction means. Should this be made a roundabout?

It currently isn't and due to the petrol station, houses and shops in the middle of it, things might get more confusing if it's set up as one (can waze cope with exits into the middle of the roundabout? turn right directions if they're set as service roads or something maybe?). However, it is round, you give way to the right when entering it and the signs leading up to it show it as a roundabout (have a look at this streetview from a road leading to it).

I don't want to try to change it if it's just going to cause more problems (there are also shops along the north edge of the roundabout which have parking lot roads from and to the roundabout which shouldn't be counted as exits as on the ground they're obviously not).

Your advice is appreciated =)
Andidy
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:8445432

Send a message

Post by Andidy
Thanks Timbones, I appreciate it is late. I should be online tomorrow afternoon so if you have any questions about the actual junction then ask away here. Most people won't drive to addresses on the roundabout EXCEPT for there is a large and busy BP fuel station in the middle of it which has 2 entrances and 1 exit (naturally all from/onto the roundabout).

I think from memory my tom tom sat nav treats it as a dual carriage way rather than a roundabout but it doesn't tell you to carry straight on onto church road then turn right on A4 bath road then straight on all within a few yards when it really wants you to turn right as you get on the roundabout then exit left. Perhaps the junctions can be manipulated to simplify the junction as roads rather than a roundabout. ie:
1. Not have the one way on and off slips which are seperated by skinny traffic islands in real life.
2. Just have two way roads/dual carriage ways off the roundabout.
3. Have no segments on the roundabout named? (won't get the road names prolonging confusing TTS directions and perhaps no road name will cause the waze routing server to cut down on what it thinks needs a direction)
Andidy
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Andidy
Thanks for the opinions guys,

I won't make it a roundabout, just tidy it up as road segments and see if the directions are more acceptable. Bozwell, it might be useful if you could help check voice navigation on the client when it's changed, thanks.

The livemap tile update process currently running on the servers is processing changes before Friday 7th (should've been finished yesterday but hasn't yet it seems) so it seems it could be a long time before any updates hit the livemap.
Andidy
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Andidy
The voice of experience =) I've not been around long enough to know how the tile updates run, the process has been stopped the whole time I've been a Wazer (not very long admittedly but I'm trying to do my bit to help).

Changes have been made, just got to wait for them to hit the livemap so they can be checked.
Andidy
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Andidy
Thanks Timbones,

I've read through those already and watched a fair few videos too. Trying to learn by doing and googling for info when I'm not sure (or asking here hence this thread) but obviously if anyone spots something that I've done wrong I don't mind them telling me rather than just correcting it so I don't keep making the same mistakes.
Andidy
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by bozwell
I drive this road at least once a week and have often thought about changing it to a roundabout, but as Timbones wrote it's just too complicated, and I've just added another road where Novatech is that wasn't there (although I'm having second thoughts about it now).

I don't often have the voice switched on so not noticed how it directs here.

There's no point two people making changes to it so I'll leave it to you, but let me know if you want me to to check anything on it next time I drive through.
bozwell
Send a message

Post by bozwell
Andidy wrote:The voice of experience =) I've not been around long enough to know how the tile updates run, the process has been stopped the whole time I've been a Wazer (not very long admittedly but I'm trying to do my bit to help).

Changes have been made, just got to wait for them to hit the livemap so they can be checked.
As I have local knowledge of the same area as you feel free to message me if you're unsure about anything. I'm no Waze pro but I have 55,000 updates under my belt now. :)
bozwell
Send a message

Post by leocylau
My first thought was it should be roundabout as the road sign says but having see deeply, I agree it is too complicated. I checked on google map and it gives different exit number to the road sign. Keep it as segments will be better ;)
leocylau
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 3
Send a message
UK WikiUK Forum

'For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved.' 1 Cor. 10:33b

GC•Newcastle upon Tyne AM•HK CM•Localisation Coordinator

Post by Timbones
I'll have a proper look tomorrow, but generally Waze does not handle internal exits well. They will get counted as exits, which will confuse many. There are sometimes tricks you can do to make it work, but doesn't always turn out perfect. (I'll explain later)

Ignoring the parking roads could be tricky, as some drivers will be counting them as exits (maybe).

The simplest option would be to exclude the silly little roads altogether. I imagine that most drivers will be driving _around_ the junction rather than to an address on it. Less is more. ;)

via Tapatalk
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 2
Send a message
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Closure Monitor
Scripts: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries

Post by Timbones
Having had a proper look at the junction, I'd suggest that this should not be a roundabout, as it's too large and complicated to get it right.

Simplifying the adjoining roads (Church Rd and Reading Rd) to be 2-way segments without the Vs would ensure you get proper "turn left" instructions. Also, make sure the roundabout has a different name to the attached dual-carriageway, as it's the name change that triggers the 'keep left' instruction. The two end segments (in between A4 exit and entrance) should have no name.

Once your changes have gone live, you'll be able to test various routes in the LiveMap (example). Get the addon from my sig to see navigation instructions.
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 2
Send a message
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Closure Monitor
Scripts: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries