71%
No
12%
Undecided
18%

Total votes : 17

The (County) Suffix

Postby Timbones » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:02 pm

I know this is opening a fairly large can of worms, but I'd like to see the advice in the Wiki changed so that the "(County)" suffix is only added when absolutely necessary. My supporting arguments are as follows:-

Smudges: The map editor does not allow a new town to be created that is too far away from an existing town with the same name. This was the primary reason for the suffix, and so we no longer need to be adding it 'just in case' there's another town with the same name.

Searches: The suffix doesn't appear when searching for a town in the Waze app, so it's no use there. I also expect most users to be searching for a specific address anyway.

The Map: Towns with suffixes look simply horrid on the map, and is unnecessary clutter.

Cities: There are 53 cities in the UK [1], all unique and well known. Many of which are large enough to need split up into smaller sub-regions. No room or need for the suffix here.

Towns: There are 929 towns in England [2], and all bar 14 of them have unique names. Let's keep the town names clean, and only add the suffix to those 14.

State field: The suffix is just a hack until we get a proper state (county) field in the editor (which may never happen). If it does magically appear, then we can ask Waze to set the field using geographic data, rather than parsing them out of city names.

Now, I'm not suggesting that we have to go and rename all the towns manually before the next map update, but we should at least consider changing the rule for new towns that get added, and gradually work on the existing ones over time. We can ask Waze to help too, if there are specific towns that need tidying up.

My tuppence. :)
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Global Wiki Moderator • Routing Expert
Extensions: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators

Re: The (County) Suffix

Postby robin1979 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:26 pm

If you deliver a file with all towns to Waze, Waze can import them, and lock the addition of new cities. We've done that in the Netherlands, and it pretty much solves the problem of random city names and smudges. See https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... 4cEE#gid=0 .
(Columns:
A: Registration ID in the national address database
B: Name in the national address database
C: Official name
D: Waze ID
E: Name in Waze
F: English name - not really used yet)

(We had some duplications as well, and we postfixed the duplicates with a county postfix (and a couple with a city postfix, because they were duplicate within the county)).

If you need more info, we can have a chat about this.
MapSquadEurope
Area Manager - Europe
robin1979

Postby CTCNetwork » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:43 pm

Hi,

Sounds reasonable. Whenever working through a village I always check to see if there is duplicate to it and don't add the county whenever possible. Would be handy to know what 14 towns you have.

There are a couple of villages/suburbs that clash. Finchley and Beaumont are two I have come across.

Suburbs though really hack me off!!!

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork

Postby Timbones » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:49 pm

robin1979 wrote:If you deliver a file with all towns to Waze, Waze can import them, and lock the addition of new cities. We've done that in the Netherlands, and it pretty much solves the problem of random city names and smudges.

Thanks robin, that's good to know. Where does the WazeID come from?
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Global Wiki Moderator • Routing Expert
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby dmcconachie » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:56 pm

All for this, Tim! With or without a pre-advised list!

via Tapatalk
dmcconachie • UK Country Admin • Forum Moderator • Former Global Champ
Nexus 4 • Android 4.3
UK WikiFB PageForum FAQCurrent status
dmcconachie

Postby dknight212 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:37 pm

I am content with the proposed change. I would prefer to go with a predefined list though that will open a new can of worms about which list to use.
dknight212

The (County) Suffix

Postby NinjaKid2002 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:35 pm

Agreed, especially as no-one seems to be able to decide if it's (Glous) or (Gloucs) or (Glocs) etc!
Image AM for The Midlands, UK.
NinjaKid2002

Postby hailstorm » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:08 pm

It's (Glos) :P Clearly says so here: http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/How_ ... reviations

Agree with the suggestion. Just a bit of a shame how as I've named so many places with the Glos suffix.

When I do a search on world.waze.com/livemap it comes up with the county. For example type is Cheltenham. The search suggestions it comes up with is Cheltenham, Glos, United Kingdom. Where does the search get Glos from then? Does it use this suffix for that?
hailstorm

Postby TonyG-UK » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:24 pm

Hey Tim, I agree with you - for a change ;)

I already removed it from my AM area a while ago.
UK Country Manager. Area manager: Wiltshire, UK
TonyG-UK

Postby Timbones » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:31 pm

hailstorm wrote:When I do a search on world.waze.com/livemap it comes up with the county. For example type is Cheltenham. The search suggestions it comes up with is Cheltenham, Glos, United Kingdom. Where does the search get Glos from then? Does it use this suffix for that?

Search results for the LiveMap come from Bing, I believe, so the suffix doesn't make a difference here either.
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators

Next

Return to United Kingdom