Forum rules
The place to ask for help when editing in the UK.

Map Editing Guidelines . Join the UK Discord Server

Posting roadworks and closures events

Post by Andidy
[Split from another topic]

If a road is closed in the medium term (not just a day or two) what's the best way to get it to feature on the map? The map updates are too slow for it to seem worth doing it. Is it possible for those higher up in the UK waze editing world to put notices as per the olympics on roads?

(if this is going to cause a discussion maybe a mod could split this out into its own thread but hopefully there's a nice defininitve answer)

Andidy
Andidy
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:8445432

Send a message

Post by Andidy
I'm seeing a split might be on the way then =)

Is FeedTheWaze what was used for the notices on the waze map about the road changes around the olympics? It sounds like a good idea to cover the problem of changes that would struggle to make it to the livemap before they would need to be undone.
Andidy
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by CTCNetwork
Hi,

Add to the fact that when you report a road works in a location (that you know will be there all day) the event will disappear after an hour or so. Thus requiring multiple reports to keep the map up-to-date.

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork
Send a message

Post by julesthebit
Hi all

From a rather selfish point of view I'd like to see something available to address this sooner rather than later. The area where I live (Medway Towns) has a rolling programme of water main replacements that involves roads being closed for a month or so at a time. It's probably going to last for 18 months or more around here but with the current speed of refresh of the tiles, or rather the lack of it, there's not much point in updating the maps.

Other areas with Victorian sewers and water mains are going to be in the same situation, if they aren't already.

Feedthewaze would probably help.

Regards, Jules
AM for Medway Towns and Maidstone
julesthebit
Send a message

Post by julesthebit
And to make matters worse http://www.roadworksonline.org.uk does not show any of the road closures I was referring to.
The Virgin media work in Fort Pitt St near Chatham station, which is signage only (no closures) is on that website(!) but the current closure of Balfour Road, which has been closed for a week and is just one example of several, is not shown at all.

Regards, Jules
julesthebit
Send a message

Post by julesthebit
Timbones wrote:
julesthebit wrote:And to make matters worse http://www.roadworksonline.org.uk does not show any of the road closures I was referring to.
You may find that http://www.roadworks.org is more accurate. (YMMV)

:)
It's a bit better :) but not much practical help because it shows roads that re-opened last week as still closed and a completely closed road as "delays unlikely". :?

Jules
julesthebit
Send a message

Post by Timbones
There is a community project called FeedTheWaze that allows users to place long term events on the map. It's still in beta, and so hasn't been widely publicised. I'll see what we can do about getting more visibility on this for UK editors...
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 2
Send a message
Timbones(6) • UK Coordinator • Forum Moderator • Closure Monitor
Scripts: WME Colour HighlightsWME Route TesterWME Geometries

Post by Timbones
[Thread split]

Yes, FTW is what was used during the Olympics. It seems to work rather well.
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by Timbones
julesthebit wrote:And to make matters worse http://www.roadworksonline.org.uk does not show any of the road closures I was referring to.
You may find that www.roadworks.org is more accurate. (YMMV)

:)
Timbones
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message