Forum rules
The place to ask for help when editing in the UK.

Map Editing Guidelines . Join the UK Discord Server

[uk] A40 Western Avenue: Hangar Lane to Marylebone Road

Post by paulbo
I've done a fair bit of work tonight on this stretch of the A40, from just after Hangar Lane (if you've ever read the book Leadville by Edward Platt, you'll know where I mean, and if you haven't read it, you really should...), right down past Gypsy Corner (including a chunk either side of the junction), past Savoy Circus (and again, a bit either side there) and then right on past Wood Lane, the top of the old M41 (now, sadly, the less exciting A3220 West Cross Route), and then right up into the Marylebone Road, where it reattaches to the Minor Highway of the A501. Most of the roads leading off of it are just stubs, awaiting someone else with more local knowledge to come along and fill those blanks in. The North Acton Victoria Road/Wales Farm Road could do with some on-site checking, as I've not been there for a while, and it's all changed since I lived off of there.

I've switched the entire section from a Minor Highway to a Major Highway, given that it is (or was) - in part - an urban motorway, and has remmants of that left today (gantry signs, hard shoulder, central reservation, emergency phones, etc) and I've also made it two carriageways so that some of the junctions work better - especially the Harrow Road slip, which was complicated. Why did I switch it from Minor to Major? Well, compared to the A501 Marylebone Road, it's clearly a more 'senior' road: 2-3 lanes in places, no zebra crossings, as well as being much faster. I feel that this correctly reflects it's status, but I'm open to persuasion to change it back to a Minor Highway if appropriate.

It should all be routable - I've checked the work to make sure that the roads are connected properly, but will do some real testing when it hits the live map.

Comments, as always, welcome. Glad also to report that 3-4 hours produced none of the pop-up errors I was getting last night. Thanks to the Waze guys for fixing that.

Regards
Paul
paulbo

POSTER_ID:90681

Send a message

Post by zzyzxuk
Paul,

Can I say that I've just had a look at that work, and it is fantastic!!! And I know that it must have taken quite a few hours to do, so thanks very much!!!

I understand the thinking on making it a "major highway", and I do think it's probably time to kick that idea around a little more. I'll start another thread in the UK forum now for us to discuss it, as it has much wider implications than just the A40...

zzyzxuk
zzyzxuk
Send a message