Narrow streets mapping option

[ img ]

Moderators: Unholy, Timbones

Re: Narrow streets mapping option

Postby atrophicshiner » Mon May 21, 2018 7:51 pm

FarzeySpeedy wrote:Also what constitutes a “narrow street”? A predetermined width would need to be stated.

There has been a healthy discussion on the original announcement thread, I would generally sum it up as follows; It is not a motorbike only road, and anything else regarding it's use / definition would be best left to the individual countries... over to the UK CAs / CMs ;)
- Chris - (Catching up with the Ia[i]ns one Chris at a time)

[ img ][ img ][ img ]
UK Local Champ would you believe
AM the Middle bit of England
Usability | Simplicity | Retention
atrophicshiner
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs

Postby FarzeySpeedy » Mon May 21, 2018 7:06 pm

I was going to say the same! I certainly know of several roads in the South West that could benefit from being highlighting as narrow streets but agree that another road type could confuse newer editors. Also what constitutes a “narrow street”? A predetermined width would need to be stated.
FarzeySpeedy
Map Editor - level 3
Map Editor - level 3

Postby iainhouse » Mon May 21, 2018 6:20 pm

smkwalker wrote:I'm under the impression we shouldn't map them until our stance on them has been fully decided/tested?

This is correct.

It is unclear how these will work in routing and whether they are really applicable at all to the UK. We've appealed to have them disabled on a per-country basis, or only available to higher ranks, but these appeals have been denied. The potential for misuse is high - between experienced editors not being sure what to do with them and new editors having no idea at all.
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
UK AdminsUK WikiWaze FAQWMEFU Script :ugeek:
I want to go to a commune in Vermont and deal with no unit of time shorter than a season
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Location: on the road from London to insanity, with Waze HQ in the driving seat

Postby iainhouse » Mon May 21, 2018 9:03 pm

Property_Guru wrote:Although down in the south west with some narrow roads it would be a great feature to avoid those that rely upon passing places.

Unfortunately, this is a prime example of the problem with this road type. Narrow roads with passing places are very much a user preference: some people don't like driving down them, whilst others welcome the large time-savings that can be gained from using them.

"Narrow roads" are not a user preference - it's the same penalty for everyone. If you use them for single-track roads, you are penalising confident drivers at the expense of less confident drivers. Sure, we'd like a road type for single track roads - but it would need to be a road type that the user could set a preference for in the app. Beyond that, single-track roads are best dealt with by relying on historical traffic speeds.
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
UK AdminsUK WikiWaze FAQWMEFU Script :ugeek:
I want to go to a commune in Vermont and deal with no unit of time shorter than a season
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Location: on the road from London to insanity, with Waze HQ in the driving seat

Postby Kevintiobraid » Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:33 pm

Agree with not applying this to streets which are just narrow by nature, such as in Cornwall, Lake district etc.
But I drove through this today and it jogged my memory on this thread:
https://goo.gl/maps/bM7Hu7mZmVn
Is this type of restrication a candidate for "narrow street" classification in UK? Its just about passable in a car, but anything bigger would struggle. It would probably help white van drivers etc to avoid these and negotiate around industrial and residential estate where this type of restriction is commonly applied.
Kevin
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
AM for South Tipperary, Waterford, South Kilkenny, Derby, Nottingham, Lincoln
Kevintiobraid
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby OrangeScootaloo » Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:26 am

Guidance on Narrow Streets suggests that any road that hard to drive down in a car is marked as such. The way that Waze then routes only adds 5-10 minute penalty to the road, so if a route is significantly quicker, the narrow road classification will be of no effect.

But I would guess most users would rather an easier route than a more difficult and narrow road. Especially as people tent to use navigation more so when in areas they are visiting, thus unfamiliar with roads. I think many would opt for an easier road when they are in unfamiliar areas.

For example, Waze always takes me a slightly quicker, more direct route across Dartmoor, through roads that look like this when there is a safer and much easier route that looks like this that I think 95% of people would rather take. I think we are doing Waze users a disservice by not labelling our most narrow country routes that force people to reverse back some distance to allow traffic to pass.

Twister-UK's point about roads rarely driven with Waze and not having data I believe applies to the road examples mentioned above. Places where there is not traffic data and where most people would not want to be routed through if there are easier routes.

I hope my thoughts are helpful, I look forward to further contributing to the Waze Map Editing community.
OrangeScootaloo

Postby PealRinger » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:41 am

Kevintiobraid wrote:Its just about passable in a car, but anything bigger would struggle. It would probably help white van drivers etc to avoid these and negotiate around industrial and residential estate where this type of restriction is commonly applied.

Unfortunately it won't because there is no in-app option to select vehicle type of van (white or otherwise!), set a vehicle width or even a user preference to 'avoid narrow roads'.

Using this road type will simply add a large penalty to all users except motorcycles. I envisage it will be equivalent to setting the road to 'private street' for cars/taxis and 'street' for motorcycle.
I don't see a use for this in the UK - I believe it has been requested by other countries and the example I was given was Jakarta, Indonesia where narrow streets are habitually used by mopeds but almost impossible by car.
As Iain has said, we are best relying on the historical speed data in Waze and if pinch-points like this or single-track roads do cause delays (at peak times perhaps) then that will already be reflected in the choice of routes.

Regards,
Andrew

PS There are thousands of 6'6" restrictions around the country, loads in London that are bollarded like your example, but also lots of country lanes that are restricted except for access. Until Waze look at giving users more options to set the vehicle type or size in the app then there is little we can do about this.
- Andrew -

[ img ][ img ][ img ]
UK Local Champ • UK Partner Coordinator • UK CM
AM for Hampshire, IoW and Channel Islands
UK WikiUK ForumWaze FAQUsability, simplicity, retention
PealRinger
PartnerCoordinator
PartnerCoordinator

Postby PealRinger » Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:01 pm

Property_Guru wrote:In the southwest there are many narrow roads, which are not enjoyable to drive along and I wish waze would avoid them even if I am adding two or three minutes to my journey time.
There are several narrow roads on my way to work - I want Waze to use them as they save time over the main roads and I'm happy to navigate single track roads.

This come back to the issue of personal preference. What Waze should have done is implement a navigate preference in the app about "narrow" or single-track roads - that way users can *choose* what they want. Until then, everything else is a compromise.

Don't forget though that Waze isn't expecting you to do 60mph or whatever the speed limit is - just the average traffic speed that it has recorded for that segment.
- Andrew -

[ img ][ img ][ img ]
UK Local Champ • UK Partner Coordinator • UK CM
AM for Hampshire, IoW and Channel Islands
UK WikiUK ForumWaze FAQUsability, simplicity, retention
PealRinger
PartnerCoordinator
PartnerCoordinator

Postby PropertyGeek » Mon May 21, 2018 6:52 pm

Although down in the south west with some narrow roads it would be a great feature to avoid those that rely upon passing places.
[ img ][ img ]
AM for the south west (ish)
PropertyGeek
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby PropertyGeek » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:26 am

Totally agree.

In the southwest there are many narrow roads, which are not enjoyable to drive along and I wish waze would avoid them even if I am adding two or three minutes to my journey time. There is no way that one can manage the 60mph that the road allows - especially when it means reversing to allow vehicles to pass. Not enjoyable driving!!
[ img ][ img ]
AM for the south west (ish)
PropertyGeek
Area Manager
Area Manager

Next

Return to United Kingdom