Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Forum rules
The place to ask for help when editing in the UK.

Map Editing Guidelines . Join the UK Discord Server

Mentoring

Post by
Up to now new editors have usually been left alone to find their own way in the world of Waze, only getting contact from others if they do something that brings them to someones attention. :D
While there is a lot of information in the Wazeopedia, working your way through it while also trying to put it into practise is not always as easy as intended.

However, help is now at hand. As some of you may already know, Waze has been trialling a Mentoring scheme to help and encourage new editors. This has now been rolled out for general use and I have just been accepted as a mentor. :shock:

I am not yet clear exactly how this will work, but the basics are, if a new editor (4 weeks or less!) wants a mentor who will be the point of contact, answer questions, check over some editing, advise on how to do something, etc. etc. then they let me know and I will send them an invite to become a mentee. Once this is accepted it should set up a communication route between us and enable easy and quick contact. Once I have a couple of mentees and we have worked it for a while I will share more information about how it works here.

So, are you a new(ish) editor who has done enough to decide they would like to keep with it and would like some help to progress up the learning ladder? If so either reply here or drop me a PM and between us we can see how this can work.

One point, as I will be learning how to do this as we go along, I will have to limit the number of mentees, so please don't get put off if I can't take you on straight away. I (or another Mentor when we get them) will come back for you as soon as possible.

Happy editing. 8-)

POSTER_ID:17146523

Send a message
Last edited by Ian on Tue Mar 24, 2020 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by al_typeRR
Hi Ian,  Id love to join the mentoring.  I am a long term waze user but a newbie to the map editing side.  My main frustration with it is I cover Hundreds of miles locally but cannot seem to work out how to edit basic things like speed limits without finding them locked and I cannot seem to work out how to get them unlocked.  1 specific place I have reported numerous times on the app in the 3 weeks since it changed but I cannot edit it myself.  Please help  LOL
al_typeRR
Send a message

Post by atrophicshiner
We editors don't really get to see what the partners get information wise. Assuming you are refering to which wazer makes a hazard report, if you are able to select the report the wazer handle should be included, but may be Anonymous.

The image below was taken from the LiveMap.
atrophicshiner
Waze Local Champs
Waze Local Champs
Answers: 8
Send a message
Attachments
- Chris - (Catching up with the Ia{i}ns one Chris at a time)

https://cottagepi.uk/proud-wazer.gifhttps://cottagepi.uk/pirate.pnghttps://cottagepi.uk/Beta_app.pnghttps://cottagepi.uk/tolls.pnghttps://cottagepi.uk/Iain.png
UK Local Champ would you believe
AM the Middle bit of England
Usability | Simplicity | Retention

Post by COAST965
:) Hi All
New to Waze and keen to get as much help as possible as we have the broadcast version as we run a community radio station in West Cornwall.
Is there any way of identifying the handles of Waze users as would be good to give them a shout out.
Dave
COAST965
Send a message

Post by Dave999999
Hi, I'm new to Waze editing (L1) and would appreciate it if the mentoring is still ongoing.

ThanksDave 
Dave999999
Send a message

Post by ElliottGreen96
Afternoon Ian, 

Having heard about the mentoring scheme during the Waze Local Meetup Event on Saturday I thought i'd jump on and see what it was all about. 

I've been editing for a little while now and although I admit my editing has been some what sporadic over time, this is something i'm keen to improve on.

I see the mentoring scheme is only open to new members so that probably rules me out, however if there's any further semi-formal mentoring opportunities available that I would be eligible for, i'd love to be considered. 

Thanks, 

Elliott
ElliottGreen96
Map Editor - Level 1
Map Editor - Level 1
Send a message

Post by ElliottGreen96
Ianinessex wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:59 pm
ElliottGreen96 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 12:55 pm Afternoon Ian, 

Having heard about the mentoring scheme during the Waze Local Meetup Event on Saturday I thought i'd jump on and see what it was all about. 

I've been editing for a little while now and although I admit my editing has been some what sporadic over time, this is something i'm keen to improve on.

I see the mentoring scheme is only open to new members so that probably rules me out, however if there's any further semi-formal mentoring opportunities available that I would be eligible for, i'd love to be considered. 

Thanks, 

Elliott

Hi, I have added you to the mentoring forum: viewforum.php?f=1992
In there you will find some presentations. Have a look at these and then any questions, either post in the mentoring forum or PM me.
If you have any specific areas you would like more information about let me know.

That's great - thank you

ElliottGreen96
Map Editor - Level 1
Map Editor - Level 1
Send a message

Post by gareth71
Hi. Fairly new editor here - only been getting into it for the last couple of weeks or so - but have been registered as a user for much longer than that, so I guess I fall outside the '4 weeks' cut-off? Would be happy to be assigned an editing mentor/guru if that's possible, though! Have had a couple of head-scratching moments (ultimately resolved) so far...
gareth71
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by gareth71
Thanks Ian. Looking forward to contributing.
gareth71
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by HedleyPhillips
Hi Ian,

I'm very new to editing and would love to have the guidance of someone more knowledgable to catch any mistakes or better still, prevent them! I've beeen updating Open Street Mapping for a few years now but Waze is new to me.

Thanks,

Hedley
HedleyPhillips
Send a message

Post by HedleyPhillips
Ianinessex wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:46 pm Hi and thanks for contacting us about the mentoring. I have sent you an invitation to join the mentoring with the details.
Ian

Thanks Ian,

I'll go through the presentations and posts.

Hedley
HedleyPhillips
Send a message