Suggestion: Roadworks UK sub-forum

[ img ]

Moderators: Unholy, Timbones

Postby jbjon » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:05 am

dknight212 wrote:So the question is do we want to do this via the forum or a document (wiki or google doc)?

What are the views?

I think it makes more sense being a document (either suggestion)as these are more editable and therefore allow local editors to add and remove items as they occur.
A forum is useful for tracking conversations but the document approach always shows the current 'live' state and still has a change history to let everyone know what changed and when it changed.

+1 for Document based
jbjon

Postby jbjon » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:40 am

I think it's worth a go.
Personally I'd like to be able to leave optional comments on edits in the Map Editor for these kinds of reason. So when you selected a detached road alongside seeing the last editor and the date/time they edited it could also show optional notes.
Even if roadworks becomes a proper feature there may be other reasons to leave local editors a note to help share understanding.
I know this kind of thing would take a lot more time and feedback to even approach implementing (not least the data storage implications for Waze) so the forum/wiki idea is a good thing to trial to see if its of use.

Nottingham is having another tram line too so there's some long term closures I've been putting in from Elgin too (roadworks.org).

Elgin data is available under the Open Government Licence so maybe a community browser tool could overlay it (that's not me offering to do that ;) )
jbjon

Postby woodvale » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:00 pm

Edinburgh is in an unusual situation because of the tramway building works. Once that's completed, it'll be a lot more straightforward for a while and I think you'll find it helpful.

How about starting with London? As the biggest urban area, it'll be a useful starting point and can be extended if it works out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
woodvale
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby iainhouse » Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:19 pm

Recently I've been involved in or come across several problems related to long-term road closures caused by roadworks. The problem is that there are quite a few people editing the maps now - and it can be difficult for us to know who has done what and why. There are several potential problems:

• An editor may disconnect a road that is closed for several months. Someone else may come along, not realise why it has been disconnected and re-connect it, or make other changes, or simply waste time trying to work out why it's disconnected.
  • We don't all have great memories - I can't even remember where I left mine ;) . We might make an alteration that should be there for 3 months and not remember to come back and fix it.
  • Not everyone stays with Waze forever. (Traitors :evil: ). There are areas of the map covered in the names of editors who haven't touched it for months or years - names I've never heard of, but some of you will recognise. How many un-reverted changes have they left behind?
  • Closures may end early and be noticed by someone other than the original editor.
  • The editor who originally finds the problem may not have rights to make necessary changes or may lose them. (In my case, I initiated some alterations and FTW near the Barbican in Central London after finding a UR there. But since then my editing rights for that area have been lost.)

So what I would like to suggest is that we have a UK sub-forum where we can record roadworks that have needed a temporary change to the map. If our updates get quicker, there are only going to be more of these.

The topic would be titled with the location of the roadworks. We could, perhaps, prepend [PENDING], [IN PROGRESS] or [COMPLETED] to the start of the OP title to help organise them. The original post could also be updated with a summary of progress.

Each topic would contain as much information as possible including things like:

• Description of the roadworks
  • Dates of closures/alterations
  • Any available links to web sites with details of the works
  • Any Feed The Waze notices set up

We could also use the Livemap to post a UR at the location with a link to the relevant topic. In that way, when you come across a user UR caused by roadworks that are already known about and being dealt with, you don't have to search around to find the reason for the user UR.

I don't know how useful this will be countrywide. I certainly think it will be useful here in London, where we have several very active AMs overlapping and plenty of new users coming to edit the maps.

I will follow up this post with a sample of what I'm thinking of. I would greatly appreciate your comments.
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Re: Suggestion: Roadworks UK sub-forum

Postby iainhouse » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:55 pm

woodvale wrote:You seem to be working nights at the moment, poor you!

Not exactly - I just don't go to bed when I should! Midnight to 3am is a round of "I should go to bed" - "I'll just fix this first" - "I wonder if anything is posted on the forums" - "I should go to bed" . . . . :lol:

The kids know that if I haven't woken up by 11am, they're allowed to come and shout "BREAKFAST PLEASE!" at me until I get up.

dknight212 wrote:It would be nice if the URs marking roadworks had an easy to filter tag

Absolutely right! I can't remember if you or somebody else mentioned this, or I thought of it myself, but I remember thinking it would be a good idea - then I forgot about it. :oops: I notice that Twister's script seems to be case-sensitive on the filtering, so I might ask him if he minds changing that - otherwise you'll only be able to filter Roadworks or ROADWORKS or roadworks etc.

I'm tempted to wait for more input - but that's my character flaw of wanting something to be perfect before letting it loose. ;) Now I've heard from the people who are keenest on this idea, we need to get it going. As soon as I've given the kids breakfast "Dad - are you messing around on Waze again?", I'll post the instructions and you can dive in.
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby dknight212 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:20 pm

It would be nice if the URs marking roadworks had an easy to filter tag (eg #roadworks) so that twister's script could switch them on or off. I'm getting confused by all the URs in south London at the moment!
dknight212

Postby woodvale » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:37 am

You seem to be working nights at the moment, poor you!

Waiting for you to kick off the forum before I start posting all the long term roadworks where I've edited the map. Beginning to lack patience ;)
woodvale
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby iainhouse » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:08 am

Don't say that -it still might do it when I post the instructions, and they're even longer! :lol:
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby CTCNetwork » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:38 am

Hi,

At least the sub-forum has been created correctly, unlike the Unlock Requests sub-forum... :D

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork

Postby timbucks » Wed Dec 26, 2012 5:47 pm

I'll have to read through this thread when I get home as I've made a road closed in Bletchley by changing a segment to non drivable and putting a landmark over it. The road is closed for 26 weeks from November. I'm guessing this isn't the correct way to do this

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2
timbucks

Next

Return to United Kingdom