Proposed update to the wiki - UK Quickstart page

[ img ]

Moderators: Unholy, Timbones

Re: Proposed update to the wiki - UK Quickstart page

Postby iainhouse » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:16 pm

I thought you could delete a page you had created, but apparently not. Only a sysop can do that.

You could always clear it out and rename it to something more individual (e.g. "UK_drafts_woodvale") and save it for future drafts? Or maybe one of the UK CMs has the necessary permissions to delete it.
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby woodvale » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:06 pm

I've copied the new material and changes to the live wiki page now. It was done in two edits - the first one inserting the Precautions section and the bullet in Creating New Roads about cul-de-sacs; the second edit was to replace the guidance to the global Unlock Request forum with one to the UK Unlock Request forum.

Can anyone tell me how to delete the draft page I created? I don't want to leave it there as an orphan :cry:
woodvale
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby woodvale » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:21 pm

seriousarsonist wrote:Probably a moot point, but, in the bit that EVERY editor SHOULD know the every segment is connected by 1 or 2 nodes bit might need a little * for reminding people that every segment should have 2 nodes even if it doesn't have 2 junctions. While this is great for getting loads of points quickly in an area it would be nice if people terminated sections when they add them.

I've added an extra bullet to the Creating New Roads section to remind people to make sure they terminate a cul-de-sac with a node, not a loop or roundabout. Hope that addresses your point.
woodvale
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby woodvale » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:39 pm

UK_Quickstart draft version 2.

Had another look at this and reduced the length of the precautions section. I hope it reads better now.

Thoughts?
woodvale
Area Manager
Area Manager

Re: Proposed update to the wiki - How to label cities page

Postby woodvale » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:57 pm

As per Iain's suggestion, I've created a new page with my proposed update to the UK Quickstart page. When we're happy that it meets the need, I'll copy the text into the UK Quickstart page and delete this one.

Please review and comment.

Thanks
woodvale
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby iainhouse » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:50 pm

Looks good. :D

If you want to make a draft, you can just make a new page. To do this in the Wiki, simply navigate to a page name that does not exist; the Wiki will then ask you if you want to create the page. (That's what I did with the page to monitor cleanup in Southwark).

If you want a draft for editing an existing page, I guess you could copy the contents to your new page, then make your changes there. If your changes meet with approval, you could then make the same changes to the "real" page, and then delete your draft page.

Or, of course, Wiki pages have an edit history (and don't we all wish WME did :x ). If you make changes on the "real" page and people don't like them, you can undo them.
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby woodvale » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:56 pm

Done.

I can't see a way of making it a draft page which could then be reviewed by the CMs before publication, so it's there, warts and all. If there is a way of producing a draft which I can make available for review, please let me know.

I'd be grateful for feedback, as I'd like to suggest some changes to the UK Quickstart - Basics that every editor should know section to try and make it clear to new editors that they're generally not starting on a map that's never been touched. Where they are, naming roads and so on, fine, but when they're proposing to make changes in city suburbs because they know their area well, so do others, and they need to make use of the forum and PMs to communicate with the previous editors and discuss their proposed changes.

There have been two instances recently where I've had to PM new editors about some of the changes they've made. I've tried to be polite and non-critical, but they've changed the map and undone things that I and others have done for good reasons, so their changes have had to be undone. The new editors both took exception to this, considered it overly-critical and bullying by more experienced editors, and have apparently taken their keyboards and left. This was not a result I expected or intended, and if we've lost two editors who could have been very useful, I'm sorry for that. If the wiki can push communication between editors, perhaps we can avoid such conflicts again.
woodvale
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby iainhouse » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:22 am

No objections here!
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby woodvale » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:54 pm

If people aren't expressing their opposition to my updating the wiki, I'll do so over the next couple of days. It'll give me an excuse to get away from the family for a few hours :D
woodvale
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby DG567 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:01 am

If the page is edited, could the Gazetteer be added to the list of resources at the same time?
DG567
Area Manager
Area Manager

Next

Return to United Kingdom