Forum rules
The place to ask for help when editing in the UK.

Map Editing Guidelines . Join the UK Discord Server

Help/Opinions on UR; Reading, Berks

Post by Andidy
The UR in question

The Waze provided route and the User driven route differ at Cressingham Road to the north of the UR. Plugging in Livemap navigation from just north of the roundabout with the B3270 to the south to A327 Whitley Street to the north (assumed route of the driver) gives two routes of equal time with Waze seemingly preferring the more logical route which stays on the A327.
Livemap route.jpg
(242.55 KiB) Downloaded 2013 times
My feeling is that due to such similar times traffic (live or historical) caused the route off the A327.

Thoughts and opinions?

This links in to the discussion on closing URs as Not Identified and the general handling of URs:
  • Can I close it as resolved if I am satisfied I understand why the routing happened and that it's just how Waze works?
  • Should I close it as Not Identified because I haven't actually changed anything, nothing was resolved other than reasoning in my mind?
  • Should I leave it to go red before doing one of the above, giving other editors the chance to have a look at it?
Andidy
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:8445432

Send a message

Post by Andidy
The UR has been marked as Not Identified (in case anyone comes along later and is wondering why they see nothing) and the majority of the points raised in the post above checked/resolved. The roundabout at the end of Cressingham Rd is definitely a roundabout which is why I think Xteej has locked it, a quick check on a street level imaging provider will confirm that. Thanks for the responses.
Andidy
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Andidy
I'm with you now, the junction of Elm Road with Shinfield Road has outdated aerials, Reading Borough Council removed the roundabout and installed traffic lights at great cost and disruption (a controversial topic). There is currently a petition against the lights to get the roundabout reinstated so maybe watch this space. Cedar Road is not part of that junction and there is a pavement and railing between the end of Cedar Road and that junction.
Andidy
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by dknight212
My reading of these sorts of URs, which may or may not help.

* sometimes users aren't marking the obvious turn - they might have been marking a no right into Devonshire Park for example, particularly given the distance to the turn into Cressingham Rd

* given that latter distance, it's extremely unlikely that the user doesn't know the route and was surprised by a real no left into Cressingham Rd, that is much more likely to be

* which rules out a temporary restriction due to roadworks/accident, though I've certainly seen plenty of those annoying URs (I wish there was a way for a user to mark a restriction as temporary)

* it might just possibly be another editor marking the way Cedar Rd doesn't quite meet the previous roundabout, it may not have been obvious on the client screen (though I presume the roundabout exit count is ok)

[EDIT - "another source" has it as a roundabout though "another source" which should be correct doesn't]

* however, given the turn suggested, it is most likely that Waze is using historical data as you say, and suggesting a divert along the parallel road. I've seen this reported as Incorrect Junction, General Error and most often Wrong Driving Direction(s). It's not often it crops up as Turn Not Allowed. This may be a genuine (key press or thought process) mistake on the user's part though it should give you pause for thought since it's not the obvious one.

With roads which run in parallel and nowhere else I'd suggest marking it as a private or service road to prevent/reduce the risk of a re-occurence. But that is not the case here.

So I'd suggest marking it as not identified (though sometimes I have been known to mark as solved given I "know" what caused it).

While you're there:

* "Shenfield Road" (further south) should be "Shenfield Rd"
* that loop of Devonshire Park doesn't look like one way to me
* Tamarisk Ave needs a city name (well it doesn't really but I'm being thorough!)
* St Barnabas Rd should be "St. Barnabas Rd" (but it will still pronounce wrong)
* there's a few other roads needing naming (I could have named them quicker than type this ...)

sorry, I'll stop now.
dknight212
Send a message

Post by dknight212
I meant the Elm Rd roundabout.
dknight212
Send a message

Post by Superfraggle
well the turn is allowed, so technically its resolved :D

but yes, I would agree it is likely due to traffic conditions at the time, and this is waze doing exactly what it is supposed to do, but as people do not always agree with this, they raise UR's.

Its not solved as it will probably happen again, but at the same time its not really not identified, we know what the issue is, and this is yet another example where we need to contact the person who raised it.

I would say not identified so the user doesn't think it wont happen again.....
Superfraggle
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
[img]https:///AvrXT[/img][img]https:///p9mgM[/img]