Make your voice heard! Take the Annual Editors Community Survey now! Dismiss

TTS (text to speech)-new implemented rule, UK

Post by
Hi UK Wazers,

As a part of improving the TTS system in the UK, we have implemented the following rule:
ALL "St" (without a dot) will be read as "Street" and ALL "St." (with a dot) will be read as "Saint", regardless of position.
This rule only apply to "St" with an upper case "S" and a lower case "t".

Please follow this rule when naming roads and making correction where necessary.

Thanks for your help,

Orit Yehezkel
Head of Localization.

Post by biccies
Property_Guru wrote:Is this still true?

Is St. read as Saint? Or should we have Saint instead, where the name of the road is St.

Thanks
It's still true. You should be using "St." for "Saint".
biccies
Area Manager
Area Manager
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/5/5a/W ... M_only.png
AM for Stafford, Cannock Chase & Cannock (UK)

Post by CTCNetwork
Hi,

In fact there is no true agreement on how Saint should be abbreviated. Uk rule, generally is apparently "the British practice is not to use a full stop where the abbreviation contains the first and last letters of the word abbreviated."
So Saint would be St and Street would also be St in this example...
But this is just damn semantics!!!

For our usage, we need a differentiation between the two and as Saint (St.)is, I suspect, less common. Better the full stop after that than street (St).

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork

Post by CTCNetwork
Hi,
dmcconachie wrote:
winelight wrote:Thanks- TTS cache now cleared.

If you check Fowler's Modern English Usage (originally published 1926, but it's still the same in the 2008 edition) you will see that the abbreviation for "Saint" is "St", no full stop.
Who cares? Sometimes functionality has to take precedence!
Indeed, for TTS to work in this case we need to have a differentiation between the two St's.
St. = Saint
St = Street
End of...

Des. . . ;)
CTCNetwork

Post by Dave2084
These are all over the country mostly added by the same editor. I have removed them from Lincolnshire and Leicestershire in a number of locations, expect to find more :-/
Dave2084
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
iPhone 12 Pro Max • iOS 15.x • Waze 4.x
Level 6 Editor • iOS Beta Leader • Waze Global Champ (Retired)

Post by Dave2084
winelight wrote:Not only is it incorrect to abbreviate Saint to St., but also, city names such as "St Albans" do not have a full stop in them.
Tell that to the people who make road signs:

St. George's Lane, Riseholme near Lincoln - http://goo.gl/maps/wpS1b

St. Georges, Telford - http://goo.gl/maps/4b2uV
Holbeach St. Johns, Near Spalding - http://goo.gl/maps/Iqoqg
Dave2084
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Post by Dave2084
winelight wrote:Each and every street that is called either "St Albans Road" or "St. Albans Road" is always and without exception read out as "Street Albans Road". It happened to me several times today after posting my previous message. Here's one example but there are many.4
I've now changed all the "St" examples to "St." as they do not work.

Wait for the map edits to reach the live map.
Clear your TTS cache (or you'll never hear any difference)
Drive the road again

Note to clear the TTS Cache you must search for "cc@tts" <---- note the lower case first c, if it's upper case (as iOS will try and do) it does not work. If you do it right you will bet a confirmation dialogue.
Dave2084
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Post by dmcconachie
winelight wrote:Not only is it incorrect to abbreviate Saint to St., but also, city names such as "St Albans" do not have a full stop in them.
You could argue that abbreviating at all is incorrect. It is no more or less correct to abbreviate Street with the full stop but they have to be separated and this is by far the more acceptable. In this case perhaps St. Albans is the tiny exception to the rule.
winelight wrote:It's somewhat academic anyway, since this feature doesn't actually work. "St. Albans", even with the full stop, is always read by TTS as "Street Albans".
Have you cleared you TTS cache? I've repeatedly asked for examples that are not working so that we can forward them to the developers for examination.
dmcconachie
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by dmcconachie
winelight wrote:Thanks- TTS cache now cleared.

If you check Fowler's Modern English Usage (originally published 1926, but it's still the same in the 2008 edition) you will see that the abbreviation for "Saint" is "St", no full stop.
Who cares? Sometimes functionality has to take precedence!
dmcconachie
dmcconachie • Former Global Champ

UK WikiUK FB PageCurrent status

Post by floppyrod84
Indeed. The dictionary can sod off. I'd rather Waze worked right and looked pretty damn close than saying Street Helen's Road, and Street Albans tyvm!
floppyrod84

Post by floppyrod84
It should refresh itself every now and again. Not sure how concrete that is or how often it's done.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84